“My favorite place in my favorite part of DC”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We chose the Carlyle after looking through several options in the Gay-friendly area of Dupont Circle. For the price, I expected something nice, but small. We were pleasantly surprised to find a generously sized room. The layout of our King suite helped us each to have our own space. The small kitchenette was another bonus.

The location was perfect for our interests: A short walk got us to the metro, which took use to Gallaudet University and (in another direction) the monuments, museums, etc. We drove into DC, and realized that it would have been smart had we reviewed the area map before getting into the area. Dupont Circle is dense with intersecting roads, and I often made turns either too soon or late.

Given the congestion in the area, I was glad that The Carlyle had on-site parking. It's a steep $39/night (charged to the room), but the parking is directly behind the hotel. We had access to my car at all times, and the attendants carefully placed cones around the car to avoid damage. In the end, I would rather pay $39 than find a spot myself!

We were there the day the hotel began putting up their holiday decorations, which were very nice. The lobby is not large - but who's there for the lobby? The lobby is efficient and well-appointed.

We enjoyed the bar and the food - although it was pricey. It would have been just as easy to walk to a local grocery and fill up the refrigerator in our suite. With two burners, a microwave and a Kuireg, you can take care of your own meal needs. There are a minimal supply of cooking utensils, plates, glasses and cups. We had dinners at the bar. We enjoyed the food, and the friendly bar tenders. We like the ambiance at the bar, more than in the adjoining restaurant. The restaurant space could use a bit of updating. The restaurant is run separately from the hotel. The drinks were smooth!

We arrived after a long drive, and the bellman and lobby staff helped us manage our check-in and unpacking our car with ease.

The local community is completely walkable. The train station is not far. It doesn't make sense to use a car in the area, except to arrive and leave.

The value is amazing, given the location and amenities!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear DannyMcD,
Thank you for staying with us, I am so happy to hear that we are "your favorite place in your favorite area". Indeed, the location is "terrific" and you can never go wrong choosing us in this area. The staff, the amenities and the neighborhood are just perfect for a visit to Washington DC. Now you know, you don't have to search more! See you soon!
Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,220)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We booked this hotel very last minute to go see a concert close by. It was the ideal location..we walked to Dupont Circle and it was very close to all the action at U & 14th streets. It is decorated in art -deco fashion, with great attention to detail. The room was large, with a kitchenette, separate vanity area and very clean. The beds were tempur-pedic and we had an amazing nights sleep, in fact I think we are going to buy a new mattress for our anniversary! All the toiletries were organic and it's a green hotel. The staff was very friendly and professional. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in downtown DC and next time we are staying over for a concert we would stay here.

Room Tip: not near elevator because it's an old hotel but has been completely renovated
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LisaK05

Hello LisaK05,
What can I say, everyone loves our mattresses, I am glad we gave you an idea for your upcoming anniversary. Please feel free to contact us directly if you need any information that can help make your next anniversary a great one. Thank you for the five stars and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights on Oct 31,right at the Halloween Day. The stay was very pleasant. We were being allowed to check in earlier in the morning. This is such a great help since we were so exhausted and havent got shower after overnight train. Then the kitchen is a surprise for us. The room size is properly good to compared to the price we paid. The service from the staff are all nice. Thank you and we would definetely stay there again if we come back.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear riantywong,
I happy to hear that your had a very pleasant stay with us during Halloween day and we were able to accommodate your early check in. We thank you for sharing this review with others and hope to see you again when you come back to Washington DC.
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed one night at the Carlyle a couple weeks ago. Hotel is located in DuPont Circle on a quiet residential street, arguably one of the city's safest areas. Shopping and nightlife within a few minutes walk of the property.
Check in was quick and efficient; the staff was pleasant and professional. The property itself has a fifties art deco style which I found actually unique and refreshing. The room I stayed in had all the necessary amenities including a large flat screen television. The heating system worked great as well. I also appreciated the "green" features such as the bathroom having a light switch on a timer. But I think my favorite aspect was the tempur-pedic mattress; it was my first time sleeping on that type of mattress and it was great -- definitely will consider a tempur next time I'm in the market for a mattress.
On the other side of the ledger, the hotel walls, carpeting, furniture and doors and doorknobs are in a true state of needing an update. The management can and should keep the overall decor and style -- but the carpeting in the hallways and rooms, furniture and doors and doorknobs are all very old, worn out and need to be thrown out, and replaced with nice, new wares. Walking down the halls and into my room, it felt like a dank Motel 8. Sorry.
Will conclude with a thumbs up to the French style cafe area where breakfast is served. An authentic French decor and a delicious breakfast - you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephane A
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Stephane A,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, I am sorry we were not able to meet all of your expectations, it's good to hear that you loved our mattresses and our decor. Also Twist restaurant is one of the finest place not only to have breakfast but also known for its fabulous Sunday Brunch. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again to make it right for you.
Sincerely, Simon Attagba , Front Office Manager

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed at the Carlyle in November 2013 and I have to say it was pretty good.

Inexpensive and with the layout of Washington (i.e. little enclaves of stores and restaurants) once you worked out where you were then it was a great location.

Handy little laundry and friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Rusty_0505,
We thank you for staying with us, and for the four stars review, we are very happy to hear that you loved our location and the staff.
We know we will see you again!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We were visiting our daughter for the holiday and had the pleasure of staying at the Carlyle Suites Hotel. It is located in the DuPont Circle neighborhood which is a vibrant area of D.C.; making it close to public transportation, restaurants, bars, CVS and Safeway. The art deco design of the hotel is wonderful giving it a retro ambiance. The staff was extremely hospitable and welcoming. The room was extremely spacious, nicely updated and with a kitchenette making it ideal for families or anyone who just wants to have a cup of coffee in the morning without leaving their room. Would highly recommend the Carlyle.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hello 10Helen,
Thank you so much for your five stars review and the great comments you made regarding the amenities in the room. I love the way you said "The room was extremely spacious, nicely updated and with a kitchenette making it ideal for families or anyone who just wants to have a cup of coffee in the morning without leaving their room". Indeed, I can't say more than what you said, and I just want to thank you for sharing this with others. We can't wait to see you again.
Sincerely, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is my second stay at the Carlyle and it was once again very nice. My husband and I were in DC to spend Thanksgiving with our children. The location is great, staff friendly and nice. The rooms are a good size; this visit we were in a king room, lots of room, a love seat sofa, even a pretty glass topped dining table! It is nice to have the kitchenette...the frig came in handy and having the Keurig coffee maker is a nice perk.

I think the Carlyle is a very good value. This is the only place I'll stay when in DC!

Before my arrival I spoke to Simon with a couple of requests; he was kind and accommodating and genuinely happy to assist. Thank you, Simon!

Room Tip: Higher level floors have nice views
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear SantaFeMaria505,
It was a pleasure for the whole staff to be at your service, I am so glad you had another very nice stay with us. We can't wait to welcome you back again! And please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you need any assistance.