“Good-value Washington Digs”

Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Ashland, Oregon
“Good-value Washington Digs”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Carlyle Suites appears to be a converted apartment house, which usually means large rooms and often means a small kitchen and dining area. That is true in this case; my large room with kitchen certainly followed that pattern. Add an extremely helpful staff (thanks, Michelle) and you get a terrific value. The hotel is about four blocks from the DuPont Circle Metro stop, where you find a wide selection of restaurant alternatives. Even closer is the funky strip on 17th Street, just two blocks from the hotel. You can pay a lot more for a famous brand name and some silly extras, but you can't beat Carlyle Suites as a good deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear GeezerEd,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review, I like the way you mentioned the value of the hotel and you said " Add an extremely helpful staff (thanks, Michelle) and you get a terrific value" The staff is just amazing, they love what they do and we I appreciate you acknowledged them in your review. I am sure we will see again on your next visit. I look forward to welcoming you back! Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Hard to write a review on this hotel as we'd a mixed bag really,a little awkward checking in due to an issue with my card that was eventually sorted but felt little help was coming across from the staff member to the point of them not caring whether I sorted it or not.
The room itself was fantastic huge comfortable bed big tv nice kitchen and bathroom areas.There was noise from the corridor with doors banging which was a bit of a bother.
Location in my opinion was ok a ten min walk to DuPont circle metro from where you can go anywhere.Immediate vicinity to me seemed to suggest this was a Gay area which didn't bother me but if going again I would stay closer to union station.
Back to the hotel most staff members we spoke too were nice and although we didn't eat here many did so presume it was fine.We did have drinks in the nice bar area.
This is a non smoking hotel but I did smell smoke and something stronger on the fourth floor and I should've reported it but didn't as I know staff were cleaning at this time.
Hotel is in a nice street on New Hampshire ave with some restaurants and a couple of bars and mc Donald's close by.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ruud1,
I am sorry to hear that your recent experience was not as expected, this is not who we are, and we want to make this up to you. I know you mentioned that you will prefer to stay around Union Station area next time you are in DC. I would like you to give us another chance so we can give you a real taste of Dupont Circle, U Street Corridor and Adams Morgan areas. Please e-mail me directly when you are coming back, I will make sure you have a great time!
Sincerely, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at the Carlyle Suites Hotel from November 2013 thru February 2014 while I was working in Washington DC. I couldn't be happier with my stay and wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else! Simon, Michelle, and the rest of the staff were always ready to assist me with whatever I needed and I was always greeted with a smile! Really made me feel at home. Room was beautiful, clean, and even had a temurpedic bed!! Plus I was in the beautiful DuPont Circle section of DC! I know where I will be staying whenever I'm in DC again!

Room Tip: King Suite was amazing and Huge!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kyriakos G,
I am happy to hear that your three month stay with us was the best experience. For this length of stay you really want to feel like home away from home and I am glad we met this expectation with you.
Please let me know on your next return so I can make sure you have another great experience.
Best Wishes! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014

At the last minute we decided on a quick jaunt down to DC to do some sightseeing. Found this hotel on Google Maps based on it's proximity to the National Mall. The reviews were very good and the price was very reasonable, so I booked. We were pleasantly surprised, when we arrived. The rooms were spacious and clean, the beds are tempupedic, and very comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
After arriving, I parked my car in the garage and left it for the duration. If you don't mind walking, everything is doable, the National Mall, the National Zoo, restaurants and shopping.

1 Thank vze2fbrx
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear vze2fbrx,
Thank you for taking the time to write this five star review. I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you found everything conveniently situated in the proximity of the hotel. We know you will make us your place to stay next time you are back to town. We look forward to welcoming you back! Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband, teenaged daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Carlyle Suites. We loved the art deco style, the room was spacious, a king size comfortable bed for us and pullout sofa for her. The shower was excellent, room temperature was perfect, especially since we could open the window at night, it was quiet! The room was clean and the kitchenette was a real bonus. The staff was friendly and helpful from check in to check out. They helped us with directions, advise... Michelle was especially helping us negotiate the metro system. I can't think of anything less than favorable to say about this place and the price, for us, was excellent.

1 Thank amyfradel
Dear amyfradel,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I am very glad to hear that you had a great experience with us. We appreciate you mentioned Michelle in your review as being very helpful in many ways during your stay. We know you will stay with us again on your next visit to DC. We look forward to welcoming you back! Best Wishes, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Hurley, South Dakota
Reviewed 23 February 2014

From the moment I walked into this hotel, I felt home and comfortable. The staff at the front desk were welcoming, friendly, and some of the most helpful staff that I have ever had at a hotel. Simon and Abou, along with the other front desk staff always welcomed us when we returned to the hotel, asked us if we needed anything, and were always checking on us. They gave wonderful suggestions for restaurants, uncorked wine bottles for us, and made sure we had everything we needed. Our suite was larger than expected for four ladies that needed to be up every morning for a conference. There were plenty of room, a separate powder area outside of the bathroom, and a kitchen where we were able to have breakfast at the hotel every morning. Loved the location too. Such a safe area, surrounded by the embassies in Dupont Circle. I cannot wait to return to DC, not only for the city, but to stay at this hotel. The only thing that I did not like were the mattresses, as they were more of a memory foam, but the other people I were with loved them...so that's a preference.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shera136
Dear Shera136,
It was a pleasure for us to be at your service, we thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review detailing how were were always checking on you to make sure you had everything you needed. We are very happy that you all had a great time during the conference, we will be happy to welcome you back on your next trip to DC. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Best Wishes! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014

On President's Day we had a nice stay in the hotel. On arrival we discovered that the only room with two beds was next to elevator, and Abou upgraded us to a suite. The room was beautiful and spacious, with very comfortable beds. This is our second stay in this hotel, and we like it's central location and art deco interior and furniture, though the later can be painful if you bump into it :)

Dear Dmitry P,
Thank you so much for the five star review, I am glad to hear that you had a nice stay and Abou was outstanding. Now, you have definite place to stay when you are in DC. Please let us know before your arrival so we can make sure you get the room you occupied the last time.
We look forward to seeing you soon! Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager