“Welcomed home every night”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My favorite part of my three week stay at Carlyle Suites was being welcomed home by the staff as I returned at the end of the day. The service by all the staff I encountered was impeccable and made all the difference during my long trip.
The beds were nice, a little harder than I am used to, but one of the nicest hotel beds I've ever slept on, a small but efficient kitchen and overall very clean.
I look forward to spending another 3 weeks at the hotel upon my return to DC.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Crystal A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,220)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Found a great deal last minute through the hotel (not a website). The hotel staff was very nice, making me feel very comfortable throughout my stay. Room was wonderful, clean, and very comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rachellevine7
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just returned from a 5 day stay at Carlyle Suites and would highly recommend a stay at this property. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton don't stay here. If you are looking for a very comfortable, well maintained, very friendly, and well located in a nice area of DC than strongly consider this property. The staff are very friendly and helpful from the front desk, to the door personnel, and the restaurant staff. My room was well maintained and NOT worn (as mentioned in another review). The towels were first class, the bathroom appearing recently redone, the beds comfortable and the house keeping staff made sure the room was well maintained during our stay. The breakfast buffet was convenient and always gave our young ones a great start to our busy days. The cost of the buffet was reasonable (by big city prices) and was taken care of by a wonderful staff each morning. If you are looking for a very comfortable place to base your DC stay at a reasonable tariff strongly consider this property. Jeff

Room Tip: Lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank bruggesfc
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here with my 12-year-old son for 4 nights during spring break. The rooms were very clean, modern and comfortable, and we especially liked its location in a safe, quiet residential area near Embassy Row and DuPont Circle. It was a quick 5-minute walk to the Metro. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the kitchenette, microwave, Keurig, and refrigerator were great for quick breakfasts before our day-trips. We definitely will return on our next trip to DC

Room Tip: The forced air heating unit was excellent. We were there during a cold snap, but our room was on a h...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marcia F
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was much more pleased the first time I stayed here. The hotel is still in a quiet area of D.C. within easy walking distance of the Metro and DuPont Circle. It still has very comfy Tempurpedic beds. But the room I had this time was not as clean and very, very worn. Moreover, it was on the third floor overlooking a back alley that was filled with noisy mechanicals and the dumpster that gets emptied at 4am. At least that's what I think the loud bang was. I choose this hotel for its peace and quiet, and I didn't get anything close to it this time.

I was also annoyed, albeit only slightly, when the housekeeper failed to restock the Keurig K-cups in my room. When I called the front desk, they told me I could come down and get some. Thanks, I guess. How about you bring them up?

I also have a complaint about their room rate policy, if it even is that. I just don't like it when any hotel advertises a rate and then tells you they can't give you that rate on the dates you need, EVEN THOUGH THE HOTEL HAS ROOMS available. Yes, you can have a room, but no, you can't have it at that rate. While they may have the right to do this, it is a business practice that I find tremendously offensive.

This is definitely not a 5-star hotel. It is probably not a 4-star hotel either. But it is a solid 3-star that needs some updating and a review of its pricing policy before I will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 0567cg
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear 0567cg,
I am so sorry to hear that your second stay was not as quite nice as the first one. As you already know, this is not the impression we want you to depart with. Please help me know a little more about what happened so we can improve it and make it right for you. My direct e-mail is sattagba@carlylesuites.com or you can contact me directly at the hotel number 202.234.3200 ext 4901.
I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The hotel was very nice , great art deco decoration , really nice rooms with tasteful furnishings , the staffs there were always ready to help and were really friendly , the checkin was quick even though i was early . My bed was comfortable , the room was big enough , i had a very nice two nights there . Great location .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank lucy x

Dear lucy x,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with others. I am very happy to hear that your two nights were very nice and you found the staff very helpful.
We know we will see you again on your next visit to Washington.
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We spent 4 nights in a "Grande Double Double" suite. Nice, stylish Art-Deco style property in a great location 5 minutes walk from DuPont Circle, with all the amenities that brings. Staff were efficient and courteous, the room was more than comfortable and spacious having both a seating area and kitchenette. The only negative aspect of the room is that there is only a shower, and no bath.

Otherwise, a very nice place to stay, and good value for Washington.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple