“ever left your briefcase in a cab???”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Asheville, North Carolina
“ever left your briefcase in a cab???”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Panic, right?!?
After arriving at the airport in a cab hailed by the gallant Carlyle Doorman, I discovered that I had left my briefcase in the taxi. Panic is an understatement for what I felt. Not only was my laptop and all my business briefs at risk, but also a ring I had been given by my Mom when I was twelve.

The Carlyle staff had already been wonderful during my stay. From the time I walked through the door, front desk ladies and gentlemen made me feel welcome, answered questions and gave great recommendations for restaurants. Housekeeping was friendly and provided superior service. Accommodations are current and comfortable with a cool DuPont vibe. And the all important bed exceeded sleep expectations.

So, after I learned that I had left my briefcase in the cab, I called the Carlyle and Kamaria went above and beyond, contacting the cab company multiple times. When my problem wasn't solved by the end of her shift, she had Lizann follow up hours later. How cool (and rare!) is that? Exemplary customer service!!

End of story, the cabby delivered my bag to the airport. God is good and makes really, really good people! If you have a choice about your DC lodging, the Carlyle is a great choice. Great location, great accommodations, peerless service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AshevilleDeb
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear AshevilleDeb,
I am so happy to hear that this panicking situation turned out to be a memorable experience you had on your recent stay with us. Indeed, Kamaria was anxious and empathetic about the situation, she did not want to leave until it was resolved and finally was convinced that it will be followed through. Lizann did a fantastic job continuing what Kamaria started and the story ended nicely. I Know we will see you again whenever you are back to Washington DC. Please let me know so I can say hello. I look forward to meeting you then! Best Wishes, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Arabic first
River Forest, IL
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I'm a pretty loyal Hampton Inn guy but when I searched for a room in DC the prices came that I saw were astounding. I like Hampton Inns just fine but not when they are over $150/night. That lead me to look for a suitable alternative.

The Carlyle Suites was great! The rooms were clean, spacious, and ours even had a kitchenette in it. The Art Deco decor was a real bonus. But perhaps the best part about the Carlyle is that it is convenient to nearly everything by the virtue of its relatively close proximity to the DuPont Circle metro stop.

I like this hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank KCRFIL
Hello KCRFIL,
I am glad to hear that you loved our location on top of the competitive prices that we offer. Yes, the location is just unbeatable for all types of travelers, and it's good to hear that it fits you. I know we will see you again on your next visit to DC. Please reach out to me if there is anything I can do to make your stay even more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back. Best Regards, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager.
Connecticut
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

This is the best of many hotels I've experienced in DC. Huge room, all the necessary amenities. Very courteous front desk staff (especially KaMaria). Safe environment with many excellent restaurants nearby. My suite had a well equipped kitchen. Very comfortable bed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank didr
Dear didr,
Thank you for a great five star review. Kamaria was very happy to see that her name was mentioned as one of the greatest. Indeed, she is one of those who always make sure that guests are completely satisfied and happy with their stay. I am glad you acknowledged her effort in your review. Since you are a frequent traveler, I am sure we will see you again on your next visit to Washington. We look forward to welcoming you back. Best Wishes, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Wonderful place to stay in a super nice, quiet, scenic neighborhood. Easy, short walk to good restaurants and metro. Staff is very helpful. Michelle at check-in, Mediombe at check-out. Abou is great, more than willing to solve any problems which may arise! Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear BJB_FL,
I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay on your last visit. I shared your review with Michelle, Mediombo, Abou and the rest of the staff. They were all proud to be part of making your stay enjoyable. Please let me know next time you are here so I can say hello. We look forward to welcoming you back. Best Wishes, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I came here with my husband who was here for business. The room we were given was hude with a kitchenette, seating area, dressing area as well as the usual bed and bathrooms. Staff were helpful and friendly. We had breakfast one morning in the hotel - not bad but not exciting. There's a well stocked bar.. We did not try the restaurant but it looked to be popular.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - 633 was excelent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jane B,
Thank you for taking the time to write this four star review. I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay. As a Senior Contributor on Tripadvisor, your feedback is very important to us. Please share with me some ideas of things that can make us win a five star review from you on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back. Sincerely, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Recently stayed at the Carlyle Suites Hotel and booked on-line. The hotel was well located in a lovely part of DC and relatively close to DC attractions. We had a rather small room on the 2nd floor for myself and two teens (no view). The mattress on the pull out sofa for my son was less than adequate, but otherwise beds were fine. We had a small, fairly well-equipped kitchenette and that was great for keeping drinks, snack, and breakfast items in the room. There were complimentary coffees (Keurig) in the room and my kids liked the free Wi-fi . It's close to Dupont Circle and the metro stop there. The purpose of our trip was to look at colleges/universities for my son and try to get a little site-seeing in.
We checked out the Phillips collection on our last day there. It's a great museum of modern art in Dupont Circle , with a "Made in the USA" exhibit. Free to all 18 and under and only $12 admission for adults. Beautiful terrace for lunch, too.
My last trip to DC I stayed in Foggy Bottom at the River Inn, (rooms also have Suites). I think my children enjoyed that location a bit more, but this was adequate. Valet parking is available (this trip we drove to DC from Boston), for $39 per day. We also walked to Whole Foods and out to dinner (Hank's Oyster Bar is close).
I'd probably go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bossier City, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A very nice, clean, boutique hotel located in a clean, quiet, residential neighborhood. The rooms are large and nicely furnished with a small kitchenette that has a small dining table and chairs, a fridge, microwave, stovetop, and cookware and table ware for 4. We had a corner room on the 8th floor which had a nice view of the city and New Hampshire Ave. We were a little concerned about the neighborhood when we booked the hotel but these concerns proved to be unwarranted. We stayed for 9 nights and enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and neighborhood. All of the staff was very helpful and friendly and a special thanks to Simon, Abou, and Mediambo for making our stay so delightful. We felt like we were coming home each evening. I can't comment on the breakfast or the restaurant because we did not avail ourselves to either one but some of the reviews that I read were very positive. There are lot's of great places to eat around DuPont circle (about 3 blocks south on New Hampshire). We enjoyed the Panera Bread, the BGR Burgers, and the Pizza Paradiso. If you try the Pizza place, be sure to eat at the restaurant and not get a "carry-out". It is great when it is hot and fresh but not so as a carry out. Also, there is a Safeway and a very nice McDonalds just a block or two southeast of the hotel on 17th and R st. The beds here are very comfortable with the Tempurpedic mattresses. There is free wi-fi in the rooms and it works great but you have to log in each day. The housekeeping is wonderful every day. My wife would have preferred a door between the bath and the bedroom instead of the drapes, but it was not a big deal for me. We will certainly stay here on our next trip to DC!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 650savag
Lizann T, Assistant Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear 650savag,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful 5 star feedback with other travelers. It means so much to us when our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay and your experience was no different. Our remote location is just the icing on the cake to our warm and inviting atmosphere. I am very thrilled that Simon, Abou and Mediombo took extra care in making your stay delightful! Please do not hesitate to reach out on your next trip to the D.C area so I may have the pleasure of making your stay more enjoyable.
Best Regards,