“Beacon Good”

Ranked #110 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Beacon Good”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Was very pleased to eventually get to the Beacon during the 2014 Polar Vortex having been staying at the Hotel Beacon in New York.

It's a great hotel, nice rooms with very nice staff. Best of all for me it was opposite the UCDC Washington Center where my beautiful daughter had travelled from Western Australia to study and do an internship.

I had a great breakfast on the second morning at a good price.

Special mention to Jim in the bar for some great conversation and service.

The only issue I had was with the internet connection but the desk staff dealt with that very professionally so no complaints.

Room Tip: I think an upper floor is better, I was on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob D
SteveRipai, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
We truly appreciate your kind appraisal and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great time again, I made sure I arrived early, I was kindly checked in at 1:PM. The hotel appeared to be fully booked, wild time, good clean fun. Was lucky to valet the car when I checked in as the garage filled up early on. I've stayed here before several times, however never witnessed a crowd like this before. The Beacon staff kept it together no matter, cheers to them!

1 Thank cmacNYC
We are so thrilled that you had a lovely stay. Thank you for taking the time to let others know how much you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to your next visit
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My boyfriend & I booked the Beacon back in early November before we even heard about the NYE Grandiose event. (which we later purcashed tickets to) Then, a week before Christmas they decide to pre-charge me for my stay, which is fine but some kind of email or notification upon booking the room should have been mentioned. That would have avoided my card getting declined. So a manager, Steven calls to get a new card & boyfriend misses the call, but calls back literally 10 mins later & gets the run around from every other manager but Steven informing us our reservation was cancelled & no one but Steve can reinstate it (BS, I work in a hotel someone else could have assisted or at least been nicer). I called back the following day & was told Steven was off. My boyfriend calls immediatley back & Steven is the first one to answer the phone...some day off...Finally we get our room back & gave him new CC info, but yet the other card was charged again...whatever...so check in finally comes & guess who checks us in...STEVEN! Lol Anyways we get our keys & then proceed to wait in the line for the worlds slowest elevator. (We took the stairs every other time for the duration of our stay, it was that slow) Room was clean & spacious however we booked a King room & got a double....then the cleanliness went away when we saw a roach in the bathroom. O & to keep the heat on you have to keep your room key in this little contraption so make sure to ask for an extra key..good energy savor I guess...there was also a few other minor/ annoying issues that I dont feel like typing. But all & all the staff could use some hospitality training. I work at a hotel & decided to be crazy and stay somewhere different, but NEVER again. At least not at the Beacon

2 Thank Dalila K
Glen Burnie
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This my second stay. Even with them hosting a NYE party I enjoyed my stay. Management seemed to be in control. Once again I had a great stay. Only thing the restaurant is not open for dinner on holidays. Although there are tons of other choices near by.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review of our hotel and its staff. We are truly happy to know that you enjoyed our hotel.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here for NYE 2013/14. Check In went well, but there is no place to really drop off luggage if you do not want to pay $35 for valet (Which is very high for a hotel guest). We are local and found free parking near by. Arriving at 4PM to check in, we pulled up on the street and used flashers to quickly unload our luggage. The pull up area is so small that only about 3-4 cars can fit. If you are by yourself this may be a problem because street parking is not allowed from 4-6:30 so your car can not sit there very long with the car unattended. When we got to the room it was an ok size for two people. I wouldn't try to have more than one other couple stop by because there would be no room. The bathroom was pretty small for a hotel. There was no vanity to place toiletries, only a pedestal sink. They went the cheap route and installed a shelf that really only fit a few bath products. No Makeup or curling iron would fit.The toilet was so close to the wall you had to sit sideways to use it, which was very uncomfortable. I wanted to order room service about 6pm but was informed that the hotel was not serving food due to the NYE party. Seriously this was a bad idea because most people would want to eat before starting the NYE drinking. I was very dissappointed that I was in a warm hotel and had to travel through the cold to find food.

Now on to the party. First of all, I will never attend another Grandiose Party. Never. For NYE I expect the party to be live and jumping by 10pm- 10:30 at the latest. We arrived at 9:40 (for the included buffet, that was ran through and empty) and stayed until about 10:30 and decided to try to come back when there were more people, it was completly dead. Now I know why. Drinks were ridicuosly priced at $16 for a small drink of Ciroc (all liquor was the same price, no rail available) and beers were $9. I dont mind paying at the most $10-12 and $4-6 for a beer, but $16 for mostly sprite? I'll pass. Also, Grandiose advertised half price cocktals until 10pm. We brought some at 9:45 and was charged full price. We also tried to get a nice professional pic but the machine was broken. The company they hired was pretty "bootleg". I mean really, that was annoying.

Oh and did I also mention that we were told by the Hotel staff that the "party" was part of the "grill" and would not let guests walk thru to the party area. Women with little dresses on had to leave the hotel and walk around to the back, stand in line and wait to be ID'd. Isn't that the point of staying at the hotel to avoid the cold? They did not care about this.

Thank God we had been in earlier and had wrist bands because the line was so long and they were checking in people so skow we would have missed the 2oz included champagne toast. Weak.We got back in around 11:45 after my husband busted us to the front. We brought one drink to be social and try to keep our buzz alive but im oretty sure this party killed it. By 1am we left and found other entertainment.

Im saying this again, I Will never stay here or party with Grandiose again! Waste of $$$$$$. Please find a BB or another hotel in the area.

3 Thank Shakuwra C
Old Hickory
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I received a very good rate during the New Year's Eve holiday season 2013/4 through tripadvisor. Otherwise the rate would have been par for Washington, DC...out the box. The hotel is extremely clean, the beds are excellent, room amenities are good. The bad was the bathroom was small (be careful stepping into the toilet instead of the floor when you get out of the shower), the doorman didn't help with the luggage from the room to the car, the restaurant has a limited "fusion" menu. All in all, for the value and price I was very happy. Tripadvisor gave a 50% off valet parking which was a plus in DC. Oh, BTW I felt safe in the neighborhood

Room Tip: The $30 up charge was worth it for the bigger room for the entire stay. Check into it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write the astonishing review of our hotel and very nice comment about the staff. We at Beacon Hotel look forward to welcoming you back.
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

December 31 we checked into the Beacon for the New Year's Eve event. We had tickets in advanced. The hotel and the entire staff are great. They were amazing during and after the event. The hotel was very cleaned. The room was large with lot of counter space for drink with a full kitchen. Getting into the event was very easy. We party all night with not a single problem. This was one of the best hotel party . A late check out 1pm was truely appreciated after partying till 4 am. I will be back on December 31. Thanks to the wonderful staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your wonderful visit. we hope you will visit again soon