“Large room, nice location, great staff”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #61 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I really loved this hotel! After walking about 5 blocks from the metro station (got off at the wrong one) in 100 degree weather I was so happy to see cold water when we walked into the lobby. I really thought that was a nice touch. The hotel is on the small side but the rooms are fairly large. There were 4 of us in one room and we felt comfortable. My only complaint is that the bathroom was on the small side. My extra large husband complained about it, I am on on the petite side so it didn't bother me. The hotel is modern, clean, and in a safe neighborhood. Beds and pillows are comfy. Staff was very courteous and helpful and greeted us every time we walked in.

There is a Krispy Kreme, Panera Bread,Cosi, and other restaurants you can walk to for a quick bite to eat. The metro station was not too far off. Once you get the hang of how the Metro works you will be able to get around quickly (warning: most of the Metro workers we encountered were extremely rude to us when we asked questions). Study the maps before you go somewhere. The Metro made it convenient and cheap for 6 people to get anywhere though.

Overall, this was hotel was great value for the money. This is the second Kimpton Hotel I stay at and it definitely wont be my last. If and when I go to DC again I would love to stay at the Madera again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Stayed at the Madera for three nights in July. Great location, close to Metro subway. Hotel staff were very friendly and welcomed you everytime you walked by reception. Evening wine reception a nice added touch. Room very large, beds very comfortable. Bathroom a little small but functional. Will definitely stay here again if in the area and will recommend to others. Will also check out other Kimpton Hotels when travelling.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Bonny64, thanks for such a wonderful review! I am glad you were able to visit our Wine Hour. It's nice to come back from a day of sight seeing or meetings and be greeted with a glass of wine. Thank you so much and we hope to see you again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed at the Madera this past weekend. Great hotel; great value and great location just off Dupont Circle. Our room was huge and very clean. The air conditioning worked extremely well. I like a hotel that has the sink outside of the bathroom area. The front desk employees, especially Mike, were very friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the pool at their sister hotel 2 streets over - The Palomar - also a very beautiful hotel. We were able to find free street parking - luckily - as their parking rate is outrageous - $38 and all the local parking garages are closed on weekends. The delicious lemon-iced water in the lobby was a nice plus as well as the delicious complimentary coffee in the morning. Loved this hotel - I highly recommend it. Great value.

Room Tip: I made my reservation with central reservations. AAA rate.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Lblrose, I am excited to read you loved your visit at the Madera! The location can't be beat being so close to the Metro and Dupont Circle. The lemon water is quite refreshing after a hot summer day of sightseeing. See you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 18 July 2011

DC is a great town with many great hotels. I choose Madera because it is consistently comfortable. The staff is always courteous & service-oriented. The location near the Metro makes a big difference in ease of getting around. I also like that Madera has character; it's not like your typical chain hotel. Parking is expensive, but seems on par with DC rates. Free street parking is available on weekends.

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear ShaneFloyd, thanks for the great review. But a bigger thanks for being such a loyal fan of the Madera! Happy to see you have had so many great expreiences. Thank you again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2011

This is my favorite hotel in DC. The rooms are large and welcoming, the rest of the hotel is compact - so you can come and go quickly. The location is great - near business and tourist destinations, but in a residential area. Above all, the staff is great. They are very good at what they do and they make you feel like a welcome guest. One note, the bathrooms are small.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear robertsea, "your favorite hotel"? I bet you say that to all the Hotels. Just kidding, seriously thank you so much for the great review. The service from our Staff is what makes great Guest visits and I am happy to read you've experienced it. Thank you again and we will see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Nice location close to Dupont.

The staff at check-in put me in an upgraded room. It had an elliptical machine in there, which was sorta cool, but I was never really gonna use. Had a fruit plate of melons, blueberries, strawberries, etc waiting for me in my room.

The staff had some good recommendations for places to go eat nearby. I'd been to Dupont tons of times before, but wanted to try something new.

I had requested a cab the night before and it was there and waiting in the morning when I had to leave at some ungodly hour for the airport. Odd thing was there were 5 or 6 folks checking out that early in the morning so there was a slight line at check-out, but it wasn't that big a deal.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2011

1st day got back to hotel @ 4:00 pm from meeting & still wasn't touched ... Had a special that the hotel offered " $1.00 breakfast or cocktail "... took 2 1/2 days for them to get the $40 breakfast off my bill, thank-you Kelly... Wake-up call, never arrived... Not all negative, front desk staff very pleasant.... free glass of wine @ 4:30 pm, nice touch... cookies & milk at night, ran into a staff member in elevator bringing milk & cookies to a family whose kids were to young to go downstairs, nice touch so not all bad but @ $309 a night expected a litlle more ... Son starting GW in the fall, don't think i'll rush back

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family