“Wonderful stay and customer service!”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wonderful stay and customer service!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed here for a weekend getaway to DC. On the way there we called and asked if there was a room available if we were to begin our stay a day earlier, Thursday. There was and they even upgraded us to a cardio room. We were excited because there is no fitness cenetr at this location, you have to walk to the Palomar 3 blocks away. I get up early (4:30) and didn't want to be walking around at that time of morning so this was perfect.
I requested a room on an upper floor and we got one on the 8th, though it is on the side of the hotel not overlooking New Hampshire it still had continual noise from the elevator running up and down all night. It didn't bother my husband, but I am a light sleeper so I was aware of it.
The room was very clean, large TV that you can see from cardio equipment area. The room had a workdesk with power strip for charging phones, laptops, etc. No problem with additional outlets throughout. The vanity is outside the bathroom, not much space for storing toiletries, but the closet is adjacent so we used the shelf in there and that worked well.
The lobby was undergoing renovation so we took the evening wine to our room and enjoyed that while we planned the evening plans.
There is an illy cafe 2 blocks away, at the Renaissance and we would go there for our espresso, though Madera offers coffee and tea to it's guests in the morning. We had breakfast at Teaism on the first morning, delicious scrambled eggs with cilantro and ginger and also the oatmeal. The following mornings we ate at Le Pain Quotidien, my husband got an omelette one morning that was wonderful and served with some of their hearth baked bread and a small salad. They also have wonderful organic jams on the tables and various belgian spread (chocolate, hazelnut).
Should also mention Filter for espresso, the best in Dupont Circle, just a bit further away and opens later than illy. But Filter is the best we had in D.C.
The restaurant in the hotel looked good and certianly would get busy in the late morning and the evening but we wanted to try some other spots. There are a lot to choose from within walking distance. Must try Levantes for their Turkish pide, similar to a flatbread, baked in a wood fired oven. And the warm bread they bring to the table from that same oven is delicious.
Customer service is stellar at the hotel. They must have a wonderful training program for their employees. Everyone knows Disney is reknowned for service, but Kimpton has right to brag in that regard as well. Every person was lovely, and genuinely seemed to care that your stay was the best it could be. Fernando who works in the front (bags, valet, many tasks!) is a sweetheart. He gave us a warm welcome, was a pleasure to talk to when we returned each day, and gave us an equally warm send off--even a hug goodbye! Atilla was familiar with the route we needed to go home and stopped us as we were leaving to review our directions and be sure we were on the right course. We will be back here and to other Kimpton Hotels!
I didn't give it 5 stars only because there was no place to gather with the lobby being renovated. Probably could have in the restaurant but I didn't want to take a table when I wasn't dining.

Room Tip: Farther away from an elevator if you are a light sleeper. Cardio rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanderful007
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear wanderful007, what a great review! Your local restaurant suggestions are great! I am so happy your interactions with our Staff, especially Fernando and Attila were warm and genuine. They are 2 stars on our Staff and definately try to make every Guest feel welcome. I thank you for your patience during the renovation, we hope to see you again so you can epxerience the new lobby. Thank you again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I visited over a weekend. Walked in to a lobby that was being renovated. The hotel immediately felt very small to me. A hotel staff member greeted me and offered me a glass of wine while I waited in line to be checked in. Was given a corner room on a high floor, which I had requested and was thrilled to get. The room itself was quite nice - comfy King Sized bed, funky decor and a nice view. The shower/toilet was tiny but I liked that the vanity and sink are in a separate area.

This is the sixth Kimpton hotel I've stayed in and this was the first time I've been disappointed. However, even this hotel is 100 times nicer than other hotel chains I've stayed in. The service is Kimpton quality - outstanding, which is why I will be a life long fan.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Nessa_97
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Nessa_97, thank you so much for visiting. Yes, we are currently undergoing a lobby renovation. We are definately updating the look and feel of the Hotel. We are smaller than most Hotels, but this allows us to provide a personalized service that it seems you felt. Thank you for being such a Kimpton fan and thanks again for the review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Spain
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Okay - the lobby is small and the bathrooms are a bit old fashioned - but the staff is so genuinely friendly, the rooms so comfortable, and the location so convenient, I can´t imagine a better place to stay in Washington.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Rickgum, thanks for your review! Yes, the lobby is small, but we prefer cozy. This allows us to provide a genuine, and warm personal service to all of our Guests. Which it looks like you got to experience. Thank you again, and we can't wait for your next visit. Modi Ahmed General Manager
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We discovered the Kimpton Hotel group a few years ago. On a recent business trip to DC we decided to stay for the weekend at the last minute. I called one Kimpton property and they helped us find rooms for the next 2 nights. One night was at the Madera. We were warmly welcomed amongst the confusion of a large and difficult group check-in/out. The front desk was very kind and considerate given the number of people milling around in a the small lobby. We had a good lunch at the Firefly restaurant downstairs while the room was cleaned. The bellman was very helpful in getting our luggage to the room and did not wait for a tip. The desk indicated we were in for a surprise with our room. They were right. Big room. Big windows. Comfortable couch. And a big electronic massage chair. Perfect after a week in convention meetings. For dinner the front desk recommended an Italian restaurant in walking distance. It was great. We unfortunatly only got to stay one night. The room was clean, quiet, well furnished. The staff was very friendly. We will visit again. It is on the top of our list in DC.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Hello rtrain4, what a great visit! I hope next time we can have you stay for more than one night. The massage train in our Tranquility Room is so nice after a long day of sightseeing or meetings. We are so glad we on #1 on your list in Washington DC. Hoep to see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Cozy lobby, excellent service, nice rooms. Bulk shampoo dispensers In the shower instead of bottles (Eco-friendly). Great restaurant (Firefly) with interesting comfort food downstairs. Very close to DuPont circle and the Metro stop and plenty of other dining options.

• Stayed February 2012
Hello photo999, I'm happy to see you think we're great. We think you're great too! The location is super convenient to enjoy the wonderful Dupont Circle neighborhood. I'm glad to reaad you enjoyed our Firefly restaurant. The menu changes seasonally so we may have new items on your next visit. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
New York
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We have stayed at the Madera many times. The rooms are spacious - we like the double queen because it gives so much room. The staff is always attentive and ready to help. The hotel is located near many great restaurants. If you aren't an InTouch member become one. I love the mini bar discount and the 5 PM wine. But most important for any hotel is a staff that makes you feel welcome after you journey.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank cjps5556
Dear ldscjpcat, thank you so much for being such a frequent Madera guest! We greatl appreciate your very cool review! Our staff trys to make everyonefeel comfortable after a long journey. Hope to see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 February 2012

The Madera, my new “abode” in Washington D.C, is a hotel that has a lovely character and noble attributes; the small lobby became a grandeur when the associates, vested with unselfishness personality, started helping and making me feel that I was at home. The luggage was taken to the room and once the electronic key opened the door, the glitziness and the coziness filled my imagination that the sojourn would be greatly pleasing, for I was not wrong, the size of the bathrooms becomes a detail of no significance. When I discovered the windows my first glance was directed to the National Cathedral, at the moment the royal blue sky was adorned with a few small puffy and extremely white clouds, the spectacular view was saved in my mind. Thereafter, on my way to dine out I came across the complaisant Firefly restaurant located in the same building; the executive chef need not to go to your table, the menu has been skillfully created and the taste has the quality to satisfied a tough top kitchen judge. The night was accompanied by the serenity and a sky full of stars; The whole staff was incredible friendly; I am obliged to mention Fernando and Stephanie, their warm souls, friendlessness, wits and kindness are exceedingly great; I enjoyed the wine hour at the hotel, very relaxing after work; I have followed the tradition at my place, so cheers!!!
Regards to all your pleasant associates and to you Mr. Mody Ahman, manager and the mastermind of the Hotel Madera.

Room Tip: North view- National Cathedral
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank alex d
MaderaGM, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Hello alex d, thanks for such a wonderful review of your trip to the Madera! It read like a wonderful piece of prose. I am so happy to see that the service provided by Fernando and Stehpanie was warm and genuine. They are rock stars! Thanks again for the wonderful review and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager