“Exceptional Hotel in a Lively DC Neighborhood!”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #61 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Madera Hotel is an exceptional place to stay! I highly recommend it!

The exceptional customer service provided by General Manager, Modi Ahmed and his seasoned staff was highly commendable! Modi went out of his way to ensure that my sweetheart and I had everything we needed for a fabulous stay! He truly went above and beyond.

Some highlights of our stay were the wine hour with terrific appetizers from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm. We ate dinner at the Firefly which is the restaurant within the hotel and our meals were spectacular! I would definitely dine there again!

I read reviews that the bathrooms are small. So what! The room overall was gorgeous and the views wonderful!

By the way, there is free street parking available after 6:30 PM if you search it out!

We took an after dinner walk to search out dessert. The Madera is located in a historical district and the structures are incredibly beautiful! Although I am very pleased we ate at the Firefly, there are a ton of trendy, fun and romantic places to choose from within very close proximity to the Madera. A lot of locals and tourists are out and about. It’ a lot of fun!

I am considered a hotel snob and I believe that the Madera definitely makes the high grades. Do not hesitate to book here. As with all Kimpton Hotels, the customer service is top notch.

Thank you Modi for an outstanding stay!

Robin

Room Tip: Free street parking in the close proximity after 6:30 PM! We enjoyed the balcony!!!
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Robin, stop it you're making us blush! It was absolutely our pleasure in making your stay outstanding! We were so happy you chose the Madera for you and your Sweeties celebration. We wanted to make it a memorable one. Thanks for your wonderful and do return soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed here one night for business. Room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom sink was outside the bathroom door as one traveler noted, but this area is tucked away from the bed so that you don't see it (at least my room). There was also a treadmill in my room.

Staff was friendly. They mentioned that it has 82 rooms so a smaller hotel. It has a bar/restaurant connected to it. Ate a great breakfast there with fantastic coffee. Great neighborhood feel on the streets. It was probably a 20 minute taxi ride from DCA. About $25 bucks. I usually stay downtown DC which has its own perks, but it was nice to be off the tourist path.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear ccpr20, we are thrilled you decided to stay with us and got to enjoy our Dupont Circle neighborhood. With its great restaurants, beautiful townhomes, and boutique shopping, Dupont Circle will definately make you feel like a local Washingtonian. Hope to see you again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Being dog friendly and 1block from Dupont circle you can't go wrong. I love dogs and there were plenty of them, but I am allergic and the room we were in had no scent of dogs. Ask for a balcony room for extra space, but the rooms are huge. Wine hour, a great restaurant (Firefly),and wonderful service make this a true find in DC! Thanks Martin!

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

MHL8488, we are pet friendly hotel and love our 4-legged Guests. We do offer dog bowls, treats, beds, and more for our furry Guests. At the same time, we do recognize some Guests have allergies, etc so we go out of our way to ensure a high level of cleanliness in our pet rooms. We are happy you found us and wish you to return, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Decor is dated to the point of creepiness. Bathroom is small even by this NYC-dweller's standards (sink in the hallway). TV wasn't working when I came in, though the bellman fixed it. Ice machine on 6th floor only, in dark, hot little closet. Service seems a bit below the Kimpton standard, too--no help with the bags? All in all, it's nothing you could complain about if you were paying Holiday Inn prices (clean enough, safe, close to Dupont Circle), but at the higher price tag, and the Kimpton brand, I expected better.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Hello Sarah T, I want to offer my apologies to you that we did not meet your standards. We do go out of our way to provide our Guests with high level service and facility. Your feedback is invaluable to us. I agree we could have done a better job. We are in process of replacing the ice machines and adding an additional. We ae also going to be undergoing a full room renovation later this year. We are super excited about this! I do hope we get the chance for you to visit the Madera again. Next time you will hopefully find some exciting new enhancements. My apologies and thank you again for your feedback. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We are often in Washington DC, but this was our first stay at Hotel Madera near Dupont Circle. We will definitely stay there on our next visit. The hotel is a small boutique hotel in a fantastic area. Our reception in the small lobby was very warm and welcoming and Fernando, the bellman, was very cheerful and helpful. Our room, a king with a balcony, was spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The toilet and shower room are quite small but the sink area is separate, so the arrangement worked well. The balcony overlooked the entrance street, New Hampshire Ave, and it was really nice to watch the world go by. We were on the third floor and with the patio doors closed we heard little street noise. It would have been nice to have had a table and a couple of chairs on the balcony where we could have had morning coffee or an afternoon drink. There was a problem with the condition of the sheer drapes and I noted it in the review that the hotel sent to my e-mail after our departure. The very next day I received an e-mail from the General Manager apologizing and saying that the drapes had been replaced. During our stay we asked for extra towels and they arrived promptly. The Dupont Circle area is a neighborhood where people actually live, walk their dogs, go out to eat, shop and walk to work . We felt safe at all hours when on the street. The Metro is 3 blocks from Hotel Madera and there are many restaurants nearby, as well as bookstores, drug stores, food shops etc. On the morning of our departure we had breakfast in the Firefly, the restaurant that is connected to the hotel. The food was very good and service was very attentive and pleasant. Every evening the restaurant was busy. Even though our business is rarely in the Dupont Circle area we feel that because of availability of taxis and proximity to the Metro, Hotel Madera is where we prefer to spend our evenings and nights.

Room Tip: To avoid any street noise choose a room on higher levels.
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear pbrown_011, I am thrilled to read your experience at the Madera was a lovely one. Even with the challenge of the drapes, we were still able to impress you to have you wanting to return. Thanks for bringing the drapes to my attention and we did have them replaced. I know your business doesnt bring you to Dupont Circle that often, but I do hope despite that you stay at the Madera when you visit our Nations Capital. Thansk again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is a very nice hotel located in a quiet neighborhood just 2 blocks from Dupont Circle. There are lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were nicely furnished and clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Hello okjunga, I am so happy you had a nice visit to the Madera. Our Staff definately wants to provide the friendliest, most genuine service to our Guests. Thanks for the review and please visit again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and I have stayed twice at Madera within the past year, and will probably never stay anywhere else when we're in DC. We love that Madera is extremely easy to get to (walking distance from Dupont Circle Metro stops), located in a safe neighborhood, and close to plenty of dining and shopping options. During both stays we worked with front desk receptionist Aaron, who always makes guests feel like locals with his friendly and sincere attitude, great dining suggestions, and insight on what's happening in the local neighborhood and Kimpton brand. And who doesn't love the free wine happy hour every afternoon, the complementary wi-fi, the dog and kid friendly atmosphere without sacrificing the hotel's chic and cosmopolitan personality, and the free parking for hybrid cars?!

Room Tip: Take advantage of Kimpton's Last Minute Room Upgrade. Book the room you can afford, and a week...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello Stephanie B, I couldnt have written a better review myself. I agree that Aaron is definately an asset to our Hotel. Since you've stayed twice with us now, we are hoping you just move in permanently! Thanks again and please visit soon. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager.