“DuPont Circle's most comfortable Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #57 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
“DuPont Circle's most comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Kimpton-managed Madera Hotel, just off of DuPont Circle is perfectly located, just blocks from the METRO station, and within walking distance of Georgetown in one direction, and the
White House in the opposite direction. Just avoid allowing yourself to be booked into
either room # 201 or #202 on the second floor, because they're separated by only a movable
partition, which isn't noise-proof. If you're anywhere else in the Hotel, you'll be happy. The staff at the Madera Hotel is the most helpful, most pleasant crew of Hotel professionals I've encountered; they're genuinely friendly, and totally on top of their guest-services. Stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Hello Nan Q, what a great review!! Service, location, helpful tips! Great great great! We cant than kyou enough for staying with us. Please come back and visit soon!! Thansk again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Roswell, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed at Madera for 5 days on a business trip and it was well worth it. Kiah checked us in, she was the highlight of our experience. Nicole was fantastic too. They were uber friendly and gave great recommendations on local places to go. The valet or bellman - Fernando was delightful. If I could return to give him a hug every day I would. Every morning he was there with a smile, and when he wasn't - we missed him. :) The rooms were fantastic. Decor was fresh and colourful. Despite the construction on New Hampshire Ave, we did not encounter any noise problems. Definitely recommend this property. Beds were great, they were not too springy and not to firm.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Pinkwasabi42, a fantastic visit and a fantastic review written by you. Thank you!!! I will definately let Nicole and Fernando know about your feedback. They are wonderful employees and Guest favorites. Thanks again for the review and we want you to visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Colorado
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Location is good, close to the metro stop and lots of restaurants and bars nearby. There was construction in front of the hotel and some going on inside but once inside I did not hear any of the construction. The service from the employees here is what makes the hotel, they are all outstanding. Fenando even ran up the street to get a cab for another guest because calling and waiting for the cab was taking too long. I traveled with two others and one being a first time guest at Kimpton and they were blown away by the service and how comfortable the rooms were. I chose this hotel since I stayed there before. We were in town for a conference and chose at the Madera instead of the conference hotel and rode the metro to the conference hotel every day (The Conference hotel is horrible but a quick ride on the metro, and next year I will probably have more conference attendees staying with me at the Madera) . I will defiantly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Hello beakr, Fernando, our rockstar Bellmen, definately goes above and beyond with service for all of our Guests!!! Not surprising you encountered the same from him. He is a star! I hope you visit us for a reason other than a conference. Thanks for a greate review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The Kimpton group does such a good job, especially for returning guests. Great service. Personal attention. Fine and comfortable rooms in the "Kimpton fashion."

The Madera gets extra credit for the work in renovating and sprucing up the rooms. They're clearly above par.

But the hotel is small in ways that bother. There is virtually no lobby. The bathrooms are really too small.

A small but bothersome note: the bathroom sink was extremely slow to drain. This is a problem that housekeeping in fine hotels should and can always avoid. It makes one wonder, too, about other things that might have slipped.

Anyway, I'll go with 4 stars for now.

1 Thank Sandy K
Hello Sandy K, so glad you like the new look of the Madera. We are super excited to show it to our loyal Guests. Sorry that the sink drained so slow. Thanks for letting us know so we can rectify it. We are smaller than some hotels in some ways, but size doesnt matter! We make up for it with service service service. Thanks again and please visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We usually stay at Hotel Palomar in Dupont Circle, but since Madera was on sale - we tried it. And we are very glad we did.

The location is great. Dupont Circle is packed with restaurants and the hotel is very close to the Metro on the red line - so getting anywhere else in the city is easy. The hotel is right across the street from the Brewmaster's Castle (check the internet for tour times, it's over the top decorated) so there are signs directing you to your hotel!

We had a balcony king room - very nice. The toliet/shower were separated into a pretty small space, but the vanity - where you put all your stuff - is quite a nice size so it was not inconvienent.

There's a very small lobby area adajenct to their restaurant Firefly. The restaurant was always packed and we had dinner there one of the nights and were quite happy with our meal.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGirl55
Hello TravelGirl55, did we win you permanently from the Palomar to the Madera? We love our big sister hotel the Palomar but we're slightly competitve and want to win Guests our way as well. I'm glad you made it to our Firefly Restaurant. They do a wonderful job. The new spring menu is out I hope you get a chance to enjoy it. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2013

FIrst Time in DC, choose this hotel because there was a deal going, and well the experience was so good that anytime I'm visiting a city I check to see if Kimpton have a hotel there.
Its really close to the metro station less than a 5 min walk. I was travelling on my own and being female security is always a concern, but the area feels so safe I walked around late in the evening, without ever feeling unsafe. There are some lovely walks nearby, you can see all the embassies as its right beside it, in fact I think the egyptian cultural bureau is right across from the hotel.
The staff were great, I was quite early and while they didn't have a room available at the time (it was around 10-11am) that was fine as they allowed me to leave my bags to be stored and I went off the explore the city. The safe were great in giving directions and making suggestions, I had asked about some attraction in the morning and while the girl at the desk didn't know the answer as to where it was when I came back a few hours later she had printed out a google map with directions on it for me (without even being asked). The bed was so comfortable there were times I didn't want to leave it
The only thing that would have made this stay better was if there was a gym in the hotel (not a big deal) and the fact that for the 5 days I was there the red line seemed to be constantly delayed (At times I wished I could have picked up the hotel and placed it beside a metro station with more than 1 line running through)
All in All I wouldn't hesitite to stay here again, in fact I'm currently looking at hotels in DC for a trip this summer and my first stop was the kimpton website.

Room Tip: Hotel is on a quite street so street noise is not really a problem, but the restaurant was quite pop...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Hello louglee, we did it! We made you a Kimpton fan for life now! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. So happy the staff was able to provide with great service and suggestions. Isnt the Dupont Circle neighborohood great? It is wonderful to stroll as you did and find a nice little restaurant or boutique to pop into. Thanks for the fantastic review and we cant wait to have you back. Cheers, Modi Ahmed
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My partner and I always look for a Kimpton hotel when we travel for we enjoy the unique decor we have found across all of their hotels and their customer service never fails to be top notch! Moreover, Kimpton is very family-friendly and supportive of all types of families. Hotel Madera and their team offer top flight accommodations with many amenities from duvets to luxurious bath robes to water bowls for family pets. Everyone from Fernando at the front door to those working behind the scenes are genuinely friendly and seek in every way to exceed one's expectations. Firefly is their signature restaurant and a must for anyone desiring an exceptional dinner. Our room was newly decorated with striking colors and art that invited one to stay and gaze at the city view. The sliding doors to the balcony were well insulated and ensured a quiet night's sleep despite city traffic on the street below. In addition, foodies will enjoy exploring the many different dining options that are near the hotel. We have already booked another stay at this Kimpton with a reservation at Firefly because we so enjoyed our last stay and dinner.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are spacious and quiet!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear C G, what a great review, THANK YOU!! We do try to make all of our Guests feel right at home and comfortable. All the nice little touches are great, but i'm happy you felt the stellar service our Team provides, especially Fernando. He's such a star and asset to us. Thanks again for staying with us and please GW University soon so we can have you stay with us again. Cheers, Modi Ahmed General Manager