“My favorite DC Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I always check availability and rates at this hotel first. It's my favorite place to stay when on business travel. I love the location, staff, setting and ambience. The rooms are nicely sized for a DC hotel as well. You can't beat the atmosphere in the attached restaurant.

On my last stay I had to leave before coffee was available, so they brought a coffee pot up to my room. Nice!

Room Tip: Don't miss the 5:00 Manager's Happy Hour, and definitely have a meal at the Firefly.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Hello Ketchk4, WOW! Thanks for letting us be your #1 hotel in Washington DC! We want everyone to visit the Madera when they come to our Nations Capital. On your next visit, please stop by Firelfy since they have unveiled the new spring menu. Delicious!! Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 11 April 2013

The Madera Kimpton is very nicely renovated. The rooms were very spacious and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small and the hallways were narrow. The decor was just like in the professional photos.

The front desk staff were super friendly and helpful. They changed often and each one had the same high level of service to offer! The lobby was tiny, but it was enough for a few chairs, fresh water and a chat with the staff. It was not a hang out area -

Getting a taxi could be a little tough because the hotel street is currently under a massive overhaul, but the hotel would gladly offer to hail a cab if you need it! The metro - Dupont Circle - is super close (five minutes!) and there are a number of quick serve dining options right around the metro. Foggy Bottom is a longer hike, but probably easier if you are flying in and out of National - because there is not a train change. The walk is longer and you have to navigate Washington Circle - so it is best to decide between a train change with lots of bags or a longer walk with minimal bags.

The restaurant was cool. I thought the staff were great and I was never in need of attention. The food was quite good - I got the root veg salad with shrimp and it was very unique and a delightful change. I also ate breakfast there in the AM and I probably should have stuck with something more benign because I wasn't quite ready for the egg white selection. It was good - just not ready for the strong pepper taste. I do think the Firefly had a great atmosphere - very cozy and rustic.

I absolutely recommend staying at the Madera! It was super close to all the Dupont Circle highlights, the staff were extremely professional and friendly - and I just love the way guests are treated at the Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear PASR_15, thanks for posting such a detailed review! You have some wonderful tips. Yes, the street is under construction by the city but the good news is that it is ending soon. Should be great when all is said and done. I am so glad you enjoy the newly renovated rooms. We are so proud of the rooms and are looking for forward to all the great feedback. Thanks for hte review, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Just returned from a nice stay at the Madera Hotel. The staff was very friendly. The place had a nice comfy feel. Nicole was a great multi-tasker, Fernando just want to help you , Micheal was great at picking good room for me. pros: big room ,balcony, great beds, free coffee and newspaper, good organic eggs nest door in Fireflies. Cons: elevator need facelift. needs fruniture on balcony.

Room Tip: get balcony room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Hello coco6gracie2, looks like you really enjoyed the service from our Front Desk team! Nicole, Fernando, and Michael are all rock stars!! Thanks for the shout out!! Hope to see you again at the Madera soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I love Kimpton hotels. The vibe, the animal print robes, the wine hours, the great service. I think the newly refurbished Madera, located just around the corner from the Palomar off DuPont Circle is a slightly less posh, but very acceptable member of the Kimpton family. More intimate (with almost no lobby to speak of), the hotel feels like one of those small hotels you find all over Paris. The rooms are big, well-furnished. I did not make it to the restaurant, but it looked great.

My mistake was not asking to move rooms when I noticed a recurring noise - probably something from the elevators. It was annoying enough to make me less than completely happy but not so much that it motivated me to repack and move. But that one issue aside, I'd say I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1001. Liked the balcony and the high floor views but the room must be situated nea...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Kwazimotosan, thanks for posting a review of your visit! You exactly right! We do feel like a small Parisian hotel. Very cozy and with a high level of personal service. So sorry about the random noise that was keeping you up. Thanks for letting us know so we can look into it. Please do visit again and dont miss Firefly restaurant, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for three nights in mid-March. The staff was outstanding. The small restaurant offered good food. The staff in the restaurant were ok but not up to the level of the front desk. I would stay there again. It is also very close to the DuPont Circle metro station.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hello bogueK, so glad you would definately stay with us again!! You're a Madera guest for life now! Thanks for the feedback on the service from our Staff. This is something we pride ourselves on. Hope to see you again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Only visited Washington DC for the weekend and the Hotel Madera was a perfect location right down the street from the Dupont Circle Metro and close to bars, restaurants,Starbucks and the Phillips Collection. The room was spacious and loved the walk in shower. Firefly was great-ate there twice-breakfast and dinner. The service was super. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. If I ever return, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I originally had a king with balcony but then changed to a double as I had a friend stay with me. It...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear denver-heidi, perfect? That's so great, thank you for saying that!!!!! Sounds like you had a true Madera visit. We cant wait for you to return!! Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Four specific elements made my stay at the Madera a success. First, I arrived at 8.45am and was promptly checked into my room with no fuss and no additional fees. This was a marked contrast to another recent experience where I was asked to pay $75 for "early check in" or the numerous occasions where I have been told "no check-in until 3pm". Second, I was upgraded to a spacious, modern and immaculate room. Third, the staff were incredibly gracious and efficient. Fourth, the location right beside Dupont Circle and with convenient connections to the rest of the city by metro or foot was a real plus. I would recommend this hotel whether visiting DC for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Hello ECB2010, looks like we hit all on 4 things you feel is a a succesful hotel visit! Thanks for being our Guest at the Madera! Please visit again soon so we can continue to wow you. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager