“Wonderful Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my friends for New Years Eve! The hotel is very nice, clean and laid back. You are always greeted with a smile at the front desk, and they are always willing to go over and beyond. Hussein, is amazing. I remember him when my friends and I stayed at the Helix a few times. Most times when you see Managers of hotels they are locked away in their office. I saw him checking in people, valeting cars, running food to guests rooms. I like the fact that he is a true team player, along with everybody else at the hotel. Very good customer service. The rooms big and spacious with a modern look, the only set back are that the bathrooms are tiny. Other than that, the hotel and the people that work there are phenomenal. Oh yea, the restaurant that is located in the hotel is fabulous, we ate there for breakfast and the prices were pretty reasonable.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We enjoyed: the decent location, the flavoured water in the lobby, and the comfortable bed.
We enjoyed less: the $45 parking fee (we ended up parking on the street for free - much better), and the slightly strange room layout (way too much space in the main room, but microscopic bathroom). With the exception of one person, the staff were pretty friendly. Overall, a fine option.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel is really cute, and rooms are comfortable and newly refurbished. I really appreciated the modern look. Having a restaurant/bar downstairs is very convenient and the food is great. I like this area of DC as it is convenient to Dupont Circle and the Metro, but is also on a residential street to avoid the noise of the main roads. As a woman traveling by myself, the atmosphere felt very safe.

However, sometimes the best hotels still have problems and I experienced one in my second floor room. I won't go into detail about this but my first room was unsatisfactory and they did move me to a new room and provided a discount on the first room. Later, I was provided a full refund for that first night. I cannot complain about this problem - the customer service handled the situation professionally and very well. I would stay here again without hesitation.

One con is that there is no fitness room at the hotel. This is something business travelers have come to expect, and it was the one thing I felt was missing. They do provide a yoga mat in each room, and supposedly there is a fitness station you can access but I couldn't find it on the free programming.

Overall, this hotel is a great choice for this area of DC as far as location, service, quality, and price.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor - it's above the restaurant and also includes the meeting rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This small boutique hotel has many plusses. The room is very large, with cheerful contempo design, very comfortable bed and we had a nice view. The hotel is in a quiet area , but a short walk to the Dupont Circle metro stop. The restaurant served great breakfast and probably other meals as well. The service staff were all friendly and helpful. Having Kimpron In Touch (free membership ) brings free internet, newspaer delivery to room (including Sunday NY Times) and other perks. Upon request a Keurig coffee maker was delivered to the room and replenished .

There is no lobby to speak of, but free wine service was offered every day and there was some space to sit and talk with other guests. The bathroom was very small but functional and there is a large sink area in the room with lots of counter space. No exercise equipment except Yoga mats, but we were told the exercise space at the Palomar (several blocks away) was available to guests. With the great rate we were able to get would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I enjoy staying in small boutique hotels, and I am well aware of their quirks. However the Madera takes them a bit too far. The room I stayed in doubles as a meeting room (!), as do all of the rooms on the second floor. A "meeting room divider wall" ran between my room and the adjacent one, and the wall let through both light and sound. Additionally, the room on the second floor was immediately above the street entrance to the bar / restaurant, which pumped cheesy house music through a speaker into the evening. Most of the time people leaving the bar / restaurant to smoke were seated directly below the room, generating both air and noise pollution.

Room service took over an hour for breakfast and the meal, though tasty, was incorrect though I didn't have the heart (or time) to send it back.

Very convenient to metro.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor, as the guest rooms really are meeting rooms. And "king sized rooms with...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bugdocsea
New York, NY
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed at nearly a dozen Kimpton properties, and would rank this in the top half. Arriving at the hotel, you are underwhelmed by the exterior and the cramped "lobby, which is about as charming as a college dorm. You walk back to tiny elevators that are rather shabby to go to your room. The room was typical Kimpton - funky decor. The King Balcony rooms are spacious, but the bathroom was so small and cramped as to be nearly unusable. With 400+ square feet in the room, it would be much better to have a bathroom that was larger than a phone booth.
The inexplicable curtain on the closet looked like it was made out of a furniture blanket, just bizarre.
On the plus side, the desk was spacious, the flat screen TV nice-sized, and the bed comfortable. Hard to understand the purpose of the decorative pillow on the bed that weighs about as much as a Rottweiler, though. The property is close to Dupont Circle and the Metro, and from my experience, a much more relaxing environment than the Palomar nearby. The Madera does not deliver the wow factor that some other Kimpton properties have, but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Had a King Balcony on 8th floor. Even at that level, there was a lot of street noise from New Hamps...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TheNorsk
Denver
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at the Madera for four nights in October 2013. We arrived very early and did not expect our room to be ready, so checked our luggage and spent the day sightseeing. When we returned out room was ready and the front desk said our luggage would be right up. Well, after two phone calls, we finally had to go downstairs and get it ourselves. We were also offered a coffee maker for the room, which we really appreciated. However, after the first delivery, we had to ask for coffee for the maker everyday, it was never left automatically. Other than that, we like the place. The lobby is really just the entry, and that's where the daily wine reception was held. Not conducive to talking with other guests as in most other Kimptons we've visited. Our room was very nice, spacious, clean, quiet. The Firefly restaurant serves a nice breakfast, and we had one dinner there as well. We'd try another Kimpton when we return to Washington, but the Madera was well priced and we had a nice time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank THDH
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Hello THDH, thanks so much for visiting us. I am sorry that the requests you made were not responded to in a timely manner. This can definately be irritating when travelling. We do want all requests to go up in a timely manner so the guests feels welcome and at home. Thank you so much for the feedback so we can correct these issues. See you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager