“Maybe I am too picky?”

Rio
“Maybe I am too picky?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights in April and thought the hotel was just OK
We were offered an upgrade for 27 USD a night and the room was big and comfortable. Beds were too soft and we had back problems. Internet was very very slow, although it was free. But it didn't work. We had the promotion breakfast for USD 1,00 and could have breakfast at Firefly, which is the restaurant next to the hotel, with an inside passage. Restaurant was fine and waiters very polite.
The day before we left, we asked the front desk for help to go to the airport and theu booked us a car. But it didn't arrive on time. We waited for 10 min and decided to take a cab on the street. There was no traffic at all, so the delay could not be because of that. I think it is a lousy car service.
Location is good, kind of 2 blocks from DuPont Circle metro.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SimRio
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear SimRio, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am so sorry that your stay with us was not spectacular, though. Any extra stress when traveling is definitely not a good thing! Again, thank you for your feedback, as without it we would not be able to improve our guests' experiences! John Esainko, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Myself, wife and 2 children aged 10 & 11 stayed at The Kempton Madera for 2 nights on the 16th and 17th April 2014.
The staff are the most friendliest and helpful I have ever encountered. The hotel was perfect walking distance to all the Washington attractions. They do a free wine hour every evening which is a nice touch.
When we booked the hotel we mentioned that it was our 13th wedding anniversary. On arrival in our very spacious room, we were greated by a lovely handwritten welcome note, an iced bottle of bubbly for us and a tray of m&m's for the kids.
My only gripe was the cost of parking which was 45 dollars a day plus and additional 8 dollars a day tax.
All in all a great little boutique hotel with excellent staff. I would recommend to anyone.

Stayed April 2014
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you so much! It sounds like our staff lived up to their great reputation and took great care of your family. I am so glad we could help make your anniversary such a good one, too! Maybe we will see you again for your 14th? Hopefully! John Esainko, General Manager
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I booked a 2-night stay as my date and I were attending the Illmatic 20th Anniversary concert at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Overall, the service was great! Nicole was very cheerful and welcoming. I appreciated the effort she put into pronouncing my last name correctly, it showed she actually cared versus treating me as just another face in the crowd. I also appreciated how they listened to my special requests (room on a high floor, late checkout). I know that isn't always possible, having worked in a hotel myself. I would definitely recommend this hotel if a friend was looking to stay in the Dupont Circle area as well since it was within walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc. I booked a massage at nearby Revival Day Spa and it felt like I could've rolled over to the spa. It was that close!

In regards to the room, at first the bathroom was a bit of a put-off but I came to appreciate having the vanity outside of the bathroom once we started getting ready for the concert. There are no closets per se, just 2 curtains instead of doors but that didn't bother me at all.

The only reason that I couldn't give a 5 is because while the balcony is large, there is no furniture that you can just kick back on to enjoy the views. Maybe 1-2 chairs and/or small table would help but overall it's minor. I loved this hotel and it reinforced my positive image of the Kimpton brand.

Room Tip: I prefer higher floors!
Green Features: Love, love, love! I like hotels that are environmentally conscious. I also like that pets are welcome. If I had a dog I would definitely bring them with me!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you, Sheena P, for such great praise! That is so great to hear that Nicole and the rest of the staff took such great care of you while you were in town for Anniversary Concert at the Kennedy Center. It sounds like the location could not have worked better for you, so we look forward to your return in the future!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a room with a balcony that was huge and decorated tastefully. Staff went above and beyond my expectations - always helpful and smiling. It was my daughters birthday and the staff left a birthday card, four cupcakes, and a bottle of champagne in our room! What a welcome! This was our first visit to dc and happy we choose this hotel and would highly recommend it.

Stayed April 2014
Hey Susan M! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful experience! I am glad that we were able to help make your daughter's birthday such a memorable one. Hopefully we will see you guys again soon! John Esainko, General Manager
Portland, Oregom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The Madera is a good example of why the Kimpton brand is becoming a go-to option for us on visits to urban centers around the country. It is well situated just off Dupont Circle but on a fairly quiet block, offers good value and has a helpful, attentive staff. Pluses: Large rooms (and we were upgraded to one with a balcony), free newspaper (and internet if you agree to accept Kimpton emails) and a fun restaurant (the Firefly) off the lobby. Minuses: Tiny bathroom (with sink external to it) and (maybe Portland has spoiled me but) they do need to improve the coffee in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Edward H
Dear Edward H, Thank you so much for your lovely compliments! I am so glad that you loved your room, and of course the upgrade doesn't hurt! We really appreciate your feedback, as well, on the size of the bathroom and the coffe, especially since without your comments we would not be able to better improve our guests' experience. Luckily, it sounds like we already have you in the Kimpton fan club, so hopefully we will see you again soon! Thank you again! John Esainko, General Manager
St Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I spent the weekend as tourists in D.C. and enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Madera. What impressed us most was the friendly service by the staff. Kelly L., the manager on duty, went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed, offered some great advice and was just a nice friendly person. It makes a hotel stay so much better when the people at the hotel are professional and helpful at the same time. We will definitely stay there again, although we're sure another hotel will hire Kelly away because of her great people skills and outgoing personality. The hotel itself was located perfectly for us - near a Metro stop at DuPont Circle, restaurants etc. The room was spacious and clean with a lovely balcony.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JimStLouis
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thanks JimStLouis! It sounds like you and Mrs JimStLouis had a great stay! I am so glad to hear that our service was stellar, and you're right, our location is hard to beat! Hopefully we will see you both soon! Thank you again! John Esainko, General Manager
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have stayed at the Madera on two separate occasions. Both times the service was extraordinary. The room was spacious and well equipped. The lobby is very small (so the usual Kimpton wine hour was very cramped). But it is the service that will bring me back. I travel a lot and stay in upscale resorts for business. The service at the Madera is better most other upscale hotel or resort. Comfortable room, great location, superior service. This is my favorite hotel when visiting DC.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony. We brought our complementary wine back to our room and sat on our lar...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you R.C! It is so great that we can keep you coming back. We do pride ourselves on excellent and personal service, so thank you so much for the compliments! It is great to hear that we are even better than a larger upscale resort. I am glad that our cozy lobby doesn't stop you from enjoying wine hour, too, as that is one of our favorite times of the day! Thank you again for taking the time to post on here and hopefully we will see you next time! John Esainko, General Manager