“Awesome in every way!”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #61 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The staff bent over backwards to make our daughter's college graduation perfect - from bringing a steamer to our room so that her gown was wrinkle free to parking our car in the garage because we had flowers in it. The rooms were recently remodeled and very nice. Everyone was genuine and happy to see us. If you want to stay in a place "where everyone knows your name" this is it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you so much 4Turner for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor world! Graduation weekend can be stressful enough, so I am glad we helped to make it go as smoothly as possible. Congrats to your daughter, too, for such an amazing accomplishment! Hopefully we will see you again soon! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night to attend an event in the area. The hotel provided a relaxing and peaceful experience with wonderful staff around the clock to meet all of our needs. We will be staying here anytime we are back in the DC area!

• Stayed: May 2014

Thanks Raquel R! I am so glad that we could make your night even more memorable than it already was. We love being our guests' home away from home, so see you next time! Thank you again, John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Madera during a business trip to DC. I am a fan of boutique hotels and have stayed at other Kimpton properties in the past. I always enjoy the little unusual touches I was fortunate to receive one of their larger rooms on the top floor which was very spacious. Although the tub and toilet area was quite small. I really enjoyed the massage chair in the room and I used the yoga mat each evening. The bed was also very comfortable.

The front desk staff were very nice and I enjoyed the free wine reception in the evenings when I could make it back to the hotel in time.

In terms of location, the surrounding neighborhood is very nice with plenty of restaurants and shops. The hotel is a short walk from the Dupont Circle metro stop (I used the metro to commute to my conference each morning).

I would definitely stay here again and didn't have any negative experiences will visiting this property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hey Hip-Hopkins77! Thank you so much for your awesome feedback! That massage chair certainly doesn't hurt at the end of the day, especially since you were here for work, which we all know can be all sorts of stressful. I am glad to hear that our staff took such great care of you, too! Hopefully we will see you again soon, maybe for leisure and not business! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel, as most Kimpton's are, is a refurbished building. The small reception desk and wine/coffee area are to the right on the first floor with Firefly, the bar and restaurant to the left. The lighting tracks have been cleverly integrated into an artistic design in the bar. The space is very loud. One of our servers was knowledgeable and helpful; the other was not. What we ate and drank was well-prepared and flavorful.
There are ten floors. The elevators and hallways don't appear to receive the benefit of air conditioning.
The room we had (a queen/queen with a balcony) was spacious in the main room, as one would expect from its apartment origins, but dark and claustrophobic in the closet/ bathroom area. The balcony would be great if there had been a screen, a couple of chairs, and a small table. Although it says "city-view," there is no view of DC monuments, only neighboring buildings. The wi-fi kept cutting in and out on my devices.
We were provided quickly with anything we asked for: a coffee maker and a phone charger. However, on the morning of our departure with the "do not disturb" sign on the door, our soap and towels were removed from the bathroom.
The location is great--just a enough distance from DuPont Circle to have a neighborhood feel but close enough to it to enjoy it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Sally L, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Madera experience with the TripAdvisor community! I am glad that you loved our location so much, you're right it is one of the best, but I am sorry that you experienced some hiccups during your stay. Thank you for the feedback, though, as now we can make sure your stay is just perfect next time you come stay with us! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel was very nice and located right near Dupont Circle. The staff was great and the little perks like wine night, coffee and morning tea, and the $10 mini bar credit for InTouch members (free to be!) was nice. We really enjoyed this place!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minneapolis24

Thanks Minneapolis24, I am so glad you had such an awesome stay with us! Those perks really are awesome and are what make Kimpton such a cool, non-cookie-cutter brand! See you next time! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I had a very good stay at the Madera hotel! I would recommend this hotel to those who are traveling solo on business, vacationing in DC, or casually needing a hotel. The staff were so friendly, specially the front desk staff: Ms. Pleasent, and Mr. T (haha), Kristen is also very cool and helpful! I was also treated especially well by the Housekeeping Manger Ms. Kane, who was able to help me with a concern and went above and beyond my expectations.

The atomosphere was young and upbeat. The restaurant connected to the hotel had a good menu, but i felt very cramped (the height of the ceiling must have been 7ft at most).

The hotel although was ran very professionally, was smaller than i expected with a lobby that didnt allow for people to meet very well. I felt as though i was always in the way of someone when i was in it.

Overall great expereince, but not exactly what I needed for my large group!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine H
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Hey Christine H, thank you so much for your great praise! We really love our staff, too, and your compliments just make us love them more! Hopefully see you next time! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 1 May 2014

If you are visiting D.C., look no further! My husband, sister, brother-in-law and I went for a getaway for our anniversary, and my brother-in-law's birthday. In all my years of traveling I have NEVER, NEVER stayed at a hotel such as this. We felt like true VIPs all weekend long!
Each couple was treated to a beautiful surprise of champagne, flowers, delightful sweet treats, and a card from the staff! Where do you find that kind of superlative service anymore?
Our rooms were HUGE, immaculate, and had a dynamite view!
I could go on and on and on...from the delightful wine hour every evening to the delectable hor coffee served each morning; there are simply too many amenities to name. But, probably the most valuable asset is the amazing staff at the hotel! They are so far superior to any I have encountered.
To repeat, look no where else. If you read this, your D.C. hotel choice should be a snap!
Kudos to you, Hotel Madera!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are to die for...awesome views!