“Great location and nice staff”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location of this hotel is great. You feel like you are in a neighborhood, but it is also very close to the Dupont Circle Metro stop. The rooms are nice and it was pretty quiet. Next time I would ask to stay in a room that does not front NH Ave though. The staff was very helpful and they serve wine in the lobby from 5 - 6 pm. A nice plus before heading off to dinner. There are lots of restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that doesn't front the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hey AMG955! Thank you so much for that great review! I am glad you loved our location so much, it really is one of the best. I think we'll keep it around for a while, haha! Great to hear you enjoyed our wine hour, too, which is really just one of the best perks of Kimpton, isn't it? Hope to see you in the future! John Esainko, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed here on business for 2 nights recently. The staff is friendly, and checkin and checkout were efficient. My room was fine: the bed was comfortable, there were plenty of electrical outlets on the desk though more by the bed would be useful, and the room was quite spacious. The bathroom was tiny - I am reasonably slim and even so I had to squeeze in sideways since the door must clear the tub and toilet by about 1 inch, and it opens inward. Water pressure was good even though the shower fixture was falling out of the wall. The sink is outside in the room. The hallways and elevators did not appear to be air conditioned, which, if true, could be a problem in the summer! The location is convenient, and the hotel, like all in the chain, is pet-friendly. There is still a charge for wifi, but it is easily avoided by signing up for the chain's loyalty program while logging into the internet. The room service was really fast, and the food was good. This is not a luxury property, but it's comfortable and friendly and clean, and I would happily return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hey thanks, Heather086, for such an awesome review! I am glad to hear that you stay with us went well and that our staff took such great care of you. We really pride ourselves on our customer service, as does the rest of Kimpton, so this is really important! Maybe next time you can bring your pet with you and visit for leisure instead of work! Thank you again! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I loved this hotel. It was within walking distance to everything in D,C, and right across from my office building. The staff was wonderful and always new the best directions to help me walk to where I needed to go.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you Caitlin M for your short but super sweet review! You're right, our staff is hard to beat and so is the location! See you next time! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The staff bent over backwards to make our daughter's college graduation perfect - from bringing a steamer to our room so that her gown was wrinkle free to parking our car in the garage because we had flowers in it. The rooms were recently remodeled and very nice. Everyone was genuine and happy to see us. If you want to stay in a place "where everyone knows your name" this is it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much 4Turner for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor world! Graduation weekend can be stressful enough, so I am glad we helped to make it go as smoothly as possible. Congrats to your daughter, too, for such an amazing accomplishment! Hopefully we will see you again soon! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night to attend an event in the area. The hotel provided a relaxing and peaceful experience with wonderful staff around the clock to meet all of our needs. We will be staying here anytime we are back in the DC area!

• Stayed: May 2014

Thanks Raquel R! I am so glad that we could make your night even more memorable than it already was. We love being our guests' home away from home, so see you next time! Thank you again, John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Madera during a business trip to DC. I am a fan of boutique hotels and have stayed at other Kimpton properties in the past. I always enjoy the little unusual touches I was fortunate to receive one of their larger rooms on the top floor which was very spacious. Although the tub and toilet area was quite small. I really enjoyed the massage chair in the room and I used the yoga mat each evening. The bed was also very comfortable.

The front desk staff were very nice and I enjoyed the free wine reception in the evenings when I could make it back to the hotel in time.

In terms of location, the surrounding neighborhood is very nice with plenty of restaurants and shops. The hotel is a short walk from the Dupont Circle metro stop (I used the metro to commute to my conference each morning).

I would definitely stay here again and didn't have any negative experiences will visiting this property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hey Hip-Hopkins77! Thank you so much for your awesome feedback! That massage chair certainly doesn't hurt at the end of the day, especially since you were here for work, which we all know can be all sorts of stressful. I am glad to hear that our staff took such great care of you, too! Hopefully we will see you again soon, maybe for leisure and not business! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel, as most Kimpton's are, is a refurbished building. The small reception desk and wine/coffee area are to the right on the first floor with Firefly, the bar and restaurant to the left. The lighting tracks have been cleverly integrated into an artistic design in the bar. The space is very loud. One of our servers was knowledgeable and helpful; the other was not. What we ate and drank was well-prepared and flavorful.
There are ten floors. The elevators and hallways don't appear to receive the benefit of air conditioning.
The room we had (a queen/queen with a balcony) was spacious in the main room, as one would expect from its apartment origins, but dark and claustrophobic in the closet/ bathroom area. The balcony would be great if there had been a screen, a couple of chairs, and a small table. Although it says "city-view," there is no view of DC monuments, only neighboring buildings. The wi-fi kept cutting in and out on my devices.
We were provided quickly with anything we asked for: a coffee maker and a phone charger. However, on the morning of our departure with the "do not disturb" sign on the door, our soap and towels were removed from the bathroom.
The location is great--just a enough distance from DuPont Circle to have a neighborhood feel but close enough to it to enjoy it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Sally L, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Madera experience with the TripAdvisor community! I am glad that you loved our location so much, you're right it is one of the best, but I am sorry that you experienced some hiccups during your stay. Thank you for the feedback, though, as now we can make sure your stay is just perfect next time you come stay with us! John Esainko, General Manager