“Excellent boutique hotel in the heart of Washington”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have stayed at the Madera 5-6 times over the past five years, and this review reflects my most recent stay.

Property: The Madera is a boutique property, and appears to have started life as an apartment building before conversion to a 32-room hotel, spaced over ten floors. The hotel includes a ground-floor restaurant and lounge called Firefly, which serves "modern American" food.

Location: For those unfamiliar with Washington, the Madera is just off Dupont Circle, west of the city's downtown. Dupont is part of the "real" Washington, away from the monuments and Smithsonian museums, where Washingtonians actually live and work. The hotel is a short walk from the Dupont Circle station on the Metro (subway) Red Line. If you stay at the Madera, you are within a 10-minute walk of Dupont's numerous restaurants, shops, and cafes, as well as tahe Phillip's Collection art museum. Depending on the direction, about a 30-40 minute walk puts you in the Georgetown or Foggy Bottom neighborhoods, or much of the city's downtown office core. The national Mall and monuments are a bit further away, just beyond Foggy Bottom and downtown. The Dupont neighborhood is lively and safe. Taxis are easily available.

Rooms: Since the Madera is a conversion of an older property, the rooms don't have a consistent design. All are comfortable, with bright modern decor, and appear to have been refurbished within the past several years. In my experience, the rooms on the front of the hotel, overlooking New Hampshire Avenue, are somewhat bigger, and most or all have outdoor balconies with a city view. Rooms at the back of the building look west, toward Georgetown University and the National Cathedral. These rooms are generally smaller, I believe, and do not have balconies. All rooms have a small closet and dressing area, a desk, and separate bathrooms and sinks. The bathrooms have a full tub, but are very small. Amenities include an ironing board and iron, bathrobes, minibar, etc. Bedding is excellent. The hotel is quiet, although rooms at the rear of the hotel may hear garbage trucks picking up trash early in the morning, and there is more street noise on the New Hampshire Avenue side. You can also hear a quiet whirring from the elevators in the center of the building.

Service, food, and other: The Madera attracts a mix of tourists and businesspeople. There is a tiny lobby, with a small seating area where nightly wine and snacks are served. Newspapers and water are always available. The staff is energetic and helpful. I don't usually get breakfast at the hotel, but some of the hotel's menu is available for room service, and the quality is very good. Parking is available nearby at a fee, although I've never used that service. The Madera is pet-friendly - I've seen guests with dogs, but have never checked in with a pet myself.

The well-appointed rooms, convenient location, and friendly service make the Madera my first choice when visiting Washington.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ShiMoke
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you so much ShiMoke for such a great and thorough review of your stay! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the DuPont area. You're right, it is such a great and lively part of DC! I also really appreciate your complimentary comments on the hotel and the staff! Again, thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review, as this will certainly be helpful to those researching the hotel! John Esainko, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Kimpton consistency yet again. Great boutique hotel experience. Firefly had great food downstairs. Don't skip Willie T's Lobster Shack across from the DuPont Metro stop. Best Maine style lobster roll to date. Must have? The Whoopie Pie.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you Brooke G! I am so glad that you had such a great time in DC and that your experience with the Madera held up to Kimpton standards! Also, thank you so much for the restaurant reccomendation! They are brand new to DuPont and I haven't had the chance to try them, but it sounds like I should get over there quick! See you next time, John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Do yourself a favor and goo directly to Hotel Madera for a Dupont Circle stay! I can't recall such enthusiastic outstanding service during any hotel stay we've ever had. For example, we arrived one hour early seeking parking suggestions until check-in. Without hesitation, they told us to come right in and we were settled into our room immediately. Sharp contrast to another area hotel we've stayed at multilple times where we were subtly chastised for arriving minutes before the check-in time. We had several ittle requests throughout our stay and each was not only met but exceeded our expectations. A mark of a great operation is consistent great service. Each staff person we encountered throughout out stay was friendly energetic and seemed to genuinely care about our comfort!

Room Tip: New Hampshire Ave can get a bit loud for periods at night. Light sleeper should request an N street...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LHall2014, I am so excited that you guys had such a great stay! It makes me so proud to hear that the Madera really helped make your trip to DC so memorable and comfortable. Thank you for sharing such incredible words with the Trip Advisor members! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed in a snack queen queen room that offered a small kitchen, 2 queen beds, and a separate sofa bed/sitting area - very spacious. We were 3 adults and a 10 year old. When we arrived by Metro at the DuPont Station we couldn't figure out which way to walk, we called the hotel front desk and they not only guided us, they were outside on the side walk phone in hand waving us down to make sure we found them. Never ever experienced such friendliness. Every afternoon in the hot summer days we were there, they offered frozen juice pops. In the evenings they offered Oreos and milk before bed. Simply Amazing! I became a huge Kimpton Hotel fan. And for adults, they offer afternoon wine receptions too :)
After this wonderful experience, I now look for Kimpton first in my travels. The George in DC for business was great too.

Room Tip: If traveling with family the rooms are spacious. Great location near Metro stations and many restaur...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 3miamigirls

Thank you so much 3miamigirls! It sounds like our staff took really spectacular care of you, which makes me proud! We really have you on Team Kimpton, too, from what I read of your kind words about The George. Of course, the free wine and other sweet treats only helped us win you over, right? Thank you again! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I travel a lot, and have stayed in hundreds of hotels. This may seem small, but arriving at a hotel and being greeted by friendly, caring people is such a joy. The Madera did not let me down. For my entire stay, I felt comfortable and well taken care of. This hotel has clean, well-designed rooms in an amazing location just off Dupont Circle. I highly recommend this hotel if you are in D.C. for business OR pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nick L
John E, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thanks so much Nick L! What a great review from such an experienced hotel stayer! Our service once again was really exceptional. We really love making our guests feel welcome and at home! Can't wait to see you again! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Great location just off DuPont Circle. The rooms are large and very comfortable. We stayed in a front facing room and were not bothered by street noise. While there are not a lot of hotel amenities there is a wonderful restaurant/lounge. The service was a little up and down in the restaurant during our stay, but the food and drinks were very good. Make sure to have Sunday brunch there and enjoy the $4 Bloody Mary's.

Desk and valet staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating as was the housekeeping staff.

Only downside is the small toilet/tub area in the rooms. One can barely close the door. A suggestion for the management, put in a pocket door. Also a place to hang towels or cloths opposite the sink area would be nice. Look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you mdatpeirce for your compliments on our staff and restaurant! I am glad that we could help you guys have such an enjoyable stay while you were in DC and it sounds like our staff really made a great impression on you! Can't wait for your return! John Esainko, General Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Every May I go to DC for the National Association of Realtors Mid Year Meetings. I've always utilized the room block set aside for NAR at the up and down CT Ave. south of the Omni Shoreham. During each visit I've walked past the Madera almost daily going to and from the Metro. This year the room block was very limited so I made my own plans and paid the same rate at the Madera (by paying in advance) that I would have paid for a convention hotel. I've enjoyed the Kimpton hotels in Portland and Seattle for the outstanding service and amenities. The Madera was no exception. While the lobby is quite small and the building common areas feel dated and a little dark, my room was spacious, comfortable and contemporary. As with other Kimptons the staff was wonderful. Very friendly and helpful. My favorite Kimpton amenity is the late afternoon wine reception in the lobby. Sadly, I was too busy to take advantage of it the entire week I was there. But it looked like fun when I was passing through a few times. The Firefly restaurant and bar has a cozy, neighborhood feel, which I like as a hotel guest, but is more than just a hangout. It gets quite busy with locals and the food was great. The hotel's top assets for me are the quiet location on New Hampshire and its close proximity to Dupont Circle. I've stayed at the Dupont Circle Hotel before and liked the facility, but the noise was excessive. Despite being on a major street, the Madera feels like you're off the beaten path in a quiet neighborhood. I had a room at the back of the hotel, so I can't speak to the noise level on the New Hampshire side of the hotel. I will certainly be back next May.

Room Tip: I liked having a room on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much Bill R! I am glad we were able to make your trip to the NAR conference so smooth and comfortable. It makes me so happy to hear that our staff was able to take such great care of you, as well as Firefly fed you well! So welcome to Team Kimpton and we will see you next year! Thank you again, John Esainko, General Manager