“Great location, nice unique rooms, service lacking...”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #60 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This is a great DuPont Circle location and a very nice property. The rooms are smallish but the decor is unique and comfortable. This is a good place to stay for a weekend getaway. It is within walking distance of the Kennedy Center, the National Mall, Georgetown, and even the National Cathedral if you are really out for a hike. As others have commented we found the valet service to be understaffed. There was no one to take our vehicle on arrival and no room at curbside. I expect a bit more for the $36/night parking fee. We had the same issue at Firefly. A continental breakfast took 60 minutes as one waiter was trying to cover 9 tables.

The rooms are clean and unique, the location is great and at the rate we paid ($137/night) it is a good value for the area. There are some nice extras like wine in the evenings and free wired and wireless internet. More attentive service would make this a truly exceptional place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cooprs
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Madera

Reviewed 14 April 2009

We had an excellent AAA rate ($126). The hotel is very nice, while the bathrooms are very small, the room itself was large. Location is ideal, very close to the Metro, restaurants in the area, and situated in a neighbourhood. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again. Front desk staff was very friendly and efficient, we enjoyed meeting Zoe, the cutest little dog you could imagine !

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2009

Hello Canuck,

I am glad that you were able to stay with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad you felt “the hotel (was) very nice.” I agree that the hotel is situated in a great area right in the heart of Dupont Circle. We are close to shops, restaurants, coffee shops, bars and much more. Zoe is a cute little happy dog. We not only allow pets we encourage them. Thank you for visiting and please come back and stay again soon!

Reviewed 13 April 2009

Except for the central location two blocks off of Dupont Circle, which is excellent, this hotel is a complete dud. The service is abysmal. At check-in, the front desk agent was more interested in talking to her friends and petting someone's dog than doing her job. The next day, the front desk agent incorrectly informed me that the complimentary continental breakfast included in my room rate was served until 230pm on Saturday. Upon entering the attached restaurant, Firefly, the waiter brusquely told me that breakfast was no longer being served and either I was wrong or the front desk agent was wrong. Turns out the front desk agent was wrong. To her credit, she rectified the situation, but the breakfast, which she ended up actually serving me in the restaurant, was a complete joke--a greasy croissant with same sad=looking fruit, as well as an orange juice with ice cubes. The room was strangely laid out, with low, "popcorn" ceilings and an extremely small room housing the toilet and tub/shower combination--this space was so small it was actually difficult to sit on the toilet. The housekeepers only made the bed--they did not clean the vanity when making up the room, which makes me wonder how thorough they were with the rest of the room.

There is no gym at this hotel, and to work out, you must purchase a pass to a nearby LA Sports Club. I can't imagine any reason to stay here under any circumstance--there are many better properties in the area for similar amounts of money. I would avoid this hotel, unless you get it for free.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank qaz123
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2009

Dear qaz123, Thank you very much for the feedback and comments about your recent stay at The Hotel Madera. I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit and would like to speak to some of your concerns. We were able to take your review to our recent service meeting and address how to better handle a guest waiting at the front desk when engaged in lengthy conversations with another guest. Our Deluxe Rooms average 350 square feet. My advice to travelers needing a larger room is to reserve a Balcony Room, Cardio Room or Snack Room. I apologize that your vanity was not cleaned to your satisfaction. Our Room Attendants are not supposed to move, remove or throw away items on the vanity. They do their best to clean around items and if necessary will move items slightly to clean the sink and replace the amenities. Posted in each room and as part of our Eco effort to save water and reduce the amount of detergent entering our drainage system, is our policy to not replace towels or sheets every day unless requested. We do not have a gym on property, but offer passes to 2 gym choices in our area. We also have 13 Cardio Rooms that include a small room off of the bedroom offering cardio equipment. Specific cardio equipment can be requested at the time the room is booked. Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you return to The Madera.

Reviewed 6 April 2009

This was our first time at the Hotel Madera though my husband has stayed in, and liked, other Kimptom hotels. We originally booked a standard king room for $169/night. When I checked the website again a few days before our trip I saw a AAA rate for a larger queen room with a balcony for $144/night. I called the hotel and they willingly changed our room reservation and rate.

The hotel staff were very accommodating and took care of requests promptly.
The room was very large and well appointed. It had a sofa and two chairs. We didn't make use of the balcony due to weather but it was nice to have a front facing room. My only complaint is that the bathroom area with the toilet and bathtub is extremely small.

If the price remains reasonable we will definitely stay at the Hotel Madera again on our next trip to Washington, D.C. The location is great, very close to Dupont Circle and the Metro.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but on the recommendation of other Trip Advisor reviewers had a nice breakfast one day at the nearby Luna Grill & Diner. It was not inexpensive but the food and service were good and it's a very homey place.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SusanLLosAngeles
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2009

Hello SusanLLosAngeles,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that you were able to book an upgraded room. I know that the staff will be pleased to hear that they were “very accommodating and took care of requests promptly.” I am glad that you liked the large room and the sofa and balcony and I do understand where you are coming from with the bathrooms. However, one benefit with Kimpton Hotels is that no two properties are alike. While the Hotel Madera has a small intimate atmosphere with a residential feel other larger Kimpton Hotels in Washington DC and Virginia such as the Monaco’s or Palomar’s have wonderful rooms with jetted tubs and separate showers. There is a lot of choice. I hope that you will come back and visit again soon! Thank you and have a nice day!

Reviewed 19 March 2009

We were able to utilized their “romance” package, which including an upgrade to a balcony room, valet parking, breakfast (room service), champagne, late check out (3 pm) and Hershey’s kisses. The hotel is located in a pretty residential area with tons of interesting shops, like the Red Onion, a second hand music and book store. The room was large, we had a comfortable king sized bed, sofa, ottoman, desk, 2 chairs and an HD TV. Bathroom was really tiny but clean. We were on the 3rd floor, so we heard noise from people entering & leaving the restaurant but the hallways & floor above us
were very quiet. My husband is an exterminator and since there has been an outbreak of bed bugs, he checked every surface. I’m happy to report, he didn’t see any bug evidence. The lobby is tiny but everyone was attentive and we always had help when needed. You have to call for your car 10/15 minutes ahead of time I liked the wine served at cocktail hour. Oreo cookies and milk are available in the lobby after 10 pm and was a sweet way to end the night.
A few things that prevent us from giving the hotel an A are:
1 – We ordered room service for breakfast, 2 orders of eggs with bacon, homefries and coffee. That’s all we received, no butter/jelly for toast, no milk/cream for coffee or salt & pepper. We received the “extra “ items within 8 minutes of calling the lobby. Breakfast was included in our package but we were given a bill for $44.00 (FOR BREAKFAST), which was not worth it, extremely overpriced.
2 – We received a bill in the morning that had one price, when we checked out the bill was different. Of course, we were charged for the overpriced breakfast TWICE. Not a big deal once the error was explained but it took 10 minutes and two people to credit the $ back.
3 – The hallway on the 3rd floor has a slight sour smell, like a pipe connected to the bathroom had a leak.
4 - Our car was left in the front of the hotel for about an hour, again not a big deal but since you have to pay over $ 30.00 for parking it should be taken care of fairly quickly.
Overall, we had a relaxing, comfortable stay and we would return but would not order room service. We’ll go back to Five Guys for awesome burgers about a 5-minute walk away.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2009

Dear Adatrip,

Thank you for reviewing The Hotel Madera, Washington DC on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor room service experience you encountered. Although we were having some computer problems with the ordering and billing of room service during that morning, the correction should have been taken care of immediately. I have addressed this with the staff. The odor that was on the 3rd floor was a pipe related incident that has now been repaired. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Madera and Washington DC.

Reviewed 22 February 2009

Right near a major metro stop. My room was a King deluxe room. Had stains on the pillowcases and comforters. Reported it to housekeeping and they fixed it that day. Yeah, the bathrooms are very small. But, the shower head was incredible and easy to adjust. The desk was right next to the bed, so I could put the computer on it and see while sitting on the very soft bed. The free wine hour was really nice. After a long day of working and seeing some sites. It did help in winding down to sleep. The free milk and cookies at 10:30pm is a nice touch. I was asleep before this time most of visit. Wish it was a little bit earlier. The restaraunt Firefly is very nice. I would recommend the french toast for breakfast. It was Very, very good. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They always greeted me with a smile even when I could not manage one. One big plus is the free WIFI. Would also recommend the Baja Fresh restaurant one street over. Very good tacos. Also after your first purchase you get a coupon for $2.00 off your next purchase. I got this every time I went.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2009

Hello Sarah25

Thank you for your comments about the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to offer valuable feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to make use of some of the more unique hotel offerings such as wine hour. I am also happy that the staff made such a positive impression on you. Thank you for staying and please come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed 22 February 2009

Could it be that our stay was different from the average for this hotel? Toilet clogged first night, loose bath and sink handles, elevator noises disturbing in what was described as "soundproof" rooms, no coffee in rooms but in inconvenient, crowded, tiny "lobby". Lovely room appearance, quick help with problems, but expected much more from a Kimpton hotel based on past experience around US.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2009

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for review. I apologize sincerely for the problems that you experience during your visit. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly so that we may update your personal profile with preferences such as a coffee maker in the room, a larger layout and away from the elevator. Thank you again and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hotel Madera in the near future.