Kimpton Hotel Madera
Marriott Hotels
US$337
US$257
  • Room Service
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
US$418
US$503
US$458
The Watergate
  • Pool
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
US$263
US$246
US$126
Official Website
  • Restaurant
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
US$191
US$165
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$195
Travelocity
1,315 results
All reviewsfirefly restaurantdupont circlebalcony roomnew hampshirewine hoursmall lobbyyoga mattoilet and showersink areaanimal print robesapartment buildingwine receptionsmall hotelmini barfront desk staffdc areametro station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed during easter break, so our room rate was high. That said, we were thrilled with our choice. Our room was lovely. Beds were truly comfortable. Great balcony. The bathroom was tiny but who cares? The shower pressure was perfect. The sink and makeup area are seperate and there was plenty of room for my husband, son and myself. The staff was terrific. The adjacent restauarnt, Firefly was fantastic. The location is absolutely perfect. Dupont Circle is the best and the Metro station is really close by. Loved the neighborhood. LOVED HOTEL MADERA. Have already recommended it to others andwould absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank NJBrooklynborn
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2009

Hello NJBrooklynborn,

Thank you for your comments. They are a great way for our potential guests to read about the hotel. I am glad that you really liked the hotel, the restaurant and the staff. We all try our best to make each and everyone feel at home. Thank you for visiting and please come again soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2009

I took my husband to Hotel Madera in March for his birthday. He said it was the best birthday ever. We had such a wonderful time I booked another weekend as soon as we returned. We love the hotel because as with every Kimpton Hotel we can bring our dog. They have certain floors where pets are allowed to stay; they do this in respect for other visitors who have pet allergies. We also love this hotel because of its staff. They remembered us from our last visit and were just as friendly as the last time. Another reason why we love the hotel is because of the area. We enjoy yoga, and in the area there are so many yoga studios to choose from. We also love the area not only for the yoga but also for the restaurants. For a unique experience, it is within walking distances in Georgetown try Mi en Yu (http://www.mienyu.com/) and if you are a meat-a-terian (meat lover) go to Fogo De Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/) it is a short taxi ride, and well worth it!!! On our last day of our trip we relaxed in the park at DuPont circle and talked to the locals. They told us on our next trip to the area that we should take the water taxi from Georgetown to Alexandria. With that being said we booked another stay for July! Parking in the area is difficult, curbside is free yet limited to 2 hours on weekdays, but if you park after 6:30 curbside on Friday parking is unlimited for the weekend. We arrived at 5:00, parked curbside in front of the Arabic Embassy (across the street from the hotel), which I was told by the hotel staff that I may get ticketed since it wasn’t 6:30 yet, but I saw some Embassy staff outside and thanked them for allowing me to park there, they were very gracious that I thanked them they didn’t call the police to ticket me. You can valet park, it is $36 for cars and approximately $56 for larger vehicles.

3  Thank jillyjill411
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2009

Hello Jillyjill411,

Thank you for your posting and staying with us. I am glad you and your husband celebrated his birthday at the hotel. I see the staff remembered you from your last visit . Thank you for staying and see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2009

This is a great DuPont Circle location and a very nice property. The rooms are smallish but the decor is unique and comfortable. This is a good place to stay for a weekend getaway. It is within walking distance of the Kennedy Center, the National Mall, Georgetown, and even the National Cathedral if you are really out for a hike. As others have commented we found the valet service to be understaffed. There was no one to take our vehicle on arrival and no room at curbside. I expect a bit more for the $36/night parking fee. We had the same issue at Firefly. A continental breakfast took 60 minutes as one waiter was trying to cover 9 tables.

The rooms are clean and unique, the location is great and at the rate we paid ($137/night) it is a good value for the area. There are some nice extras like wine in the evenings and free wired and wireless internet. More attentive service would make this a truly exceptional place.

1  Thank cooprs
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We had an excellent AAA rate ($126). The hotel is very nice, while the bathrooms are very small, the room itself was large. Location is ideal, very close to the Metro, restaurants in the area, and situated in a neighbourhood. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again. Front desk staff was very friendly and efficient, we enjoyed meeting Zoe, the cutest little dog you could imagine !

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2009

Hello Canuck,

I am glad that you were able to stay with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad you felt “the hotel (was) very nice.” I agree that the hotel is situated in a great area right in the heart of Dupont Circle. We are close to shops, restaurants, coffee shops, bars and much more. Zoe is a cute little happy dog. We not only allow pets we encourage them. Thank you for visiting and please come back and stay again soon!

Reviewed 13 April 2009

Except for the central location two blocks off of Dupont Circle, which is excellent, this hotel is a complete dud. The service is abysmal. At check-in, the front desk agent was more interested in talking to her friends and petting someone's dog than doing her job. The next day, the front desk agent incorrectly informed me that the complimentary continental breakfast included in my room rate was served until 230pm on Saturday. Upon entering the attached restaurant, Firefly, the waiter brusquely told me that breakfast was no longer being served and either I was wrong or the front desk agent was wrong. Turns out the front desk agent was wrong. To her credit, she rectified the situation, but the breakfast, which she ended up actually serving me in the restaurant, was a complete joke--a greasy croissant with same sad=looking fruit, as well as an orange juice with ice cubes. The room was strangely laid out, with low, "popcorn" ceilings and an extremely small room housing the toilet and tub/shower combination--this space was so small it was actually difficult to sit on the toilet. The housekeepers only made the bed--they did not clean the vanity when making up the room, which makes me wonder how thorough they were with the rest of the room.

There is no gym at this hotel, and to work out, you must purchase a pass to a nearby LA Sports Club. I can't imagine any reason to stay here under any circumstance--there are many better properties in the area for similar amounts of money. I would avoid this hotel, unless you get it for free.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank qaz123
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2009

Dear qaz123, Thank you very much for the feedback and comments about your recent stay at The Hotel Madera. I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit and would like to speak to some of your concerns. We were able to take your review to our recent service meeting and address how to better handle a guest waiting at the front desk when engaged in lengthy conversations with another guest. Our Deluxe Rooms average 350 square feet. My advice to travelers needing a larger room is to reserve a Balcony Room, Cardio Room or Snack Room. I apologize that your vanity was not cleaned to your satisfaction. Our Room Attendants are not supposed to move, remove or throw away items on the vanity. They do their best to clean around items and if necessary will move items slightly to clean the sink and replace the amenities. Posted in each room and as part of our Eco effort to save water and reduce the amount of detergent entering our drainage system, is our policy to not replace towels or sheets every day unless requested. We do not have a gym on property, but offer passes to 2 gym choices in our area. We also have 13 Cardio Rooms that include a small room off of the bedroom offering cardio equipment. Specific cardio equipment can be requested at the time the room is booked. Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you return to The Madera.