“Excellent Service!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
OHIO
“Excellent Service!”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

3 day visit to Wash DC on the way to VA Beach with my 12 month old son and my mother (no, I am not crazy). I wanted to be in a cool area with easy access to the trains, restaurants and downtown. I did a lot of research before booking with the Hotel Madera so I was a little nervous about my decision. Needless to say, I am NOT the typical traveler that stays at this hotel but you wouldn't know the difference based on the excellent treatment by the staff! No matter who was at the front desk, they were always quick to help me UP the stairs with the stroller, carry my bags, help DOWN the stairs with the stroller, etc.

As we fumbled our way past the business men reading their newspapers and drinking their coffee, we were always treated by the staff with care and respect-just the same.

The rooms were great but we had this awful view of the massive air conditioners on the roof of the hotel...couldn't see a thing out the window. No biggie. The room itself was great and quiet. It was very clean and always ready for us when we returned in the afternoon. The area itself was very cool and busy with locals out and about on a summer evening. Easy to find shops and places to eat on foot. Would stay again!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank erinbJ3397HD
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 30 June 2009
Hello Erinjeanie.

Thanks for bringing your family to stay with us. I am glad that the front desk were quick and helpful especially with your stroller and all the accompaniments you have to take during a day out. I am glad that the staff treated you well. I hope you and your family will stop by and visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I just came home from my first visit to Washington DC and I can't wait to go back and when I do I will stay at Hotel Madera.

When we arrived after a red-eye flight, we were able to check in a little bit early, take a nap, wake up just in time for wine in the lobby, and get great directions from the staff and limo driver.

The room we stayed in (901) was HUGE with two queen beds, a separate closet, sink, and bathroom. The bathroom was small but was clean and served its purpose.

If you plan on being our late on a tour, make sure you get dinner before your tour because room service ends at 9:30 PM. The closest restaurant for a late night bite we found was Kramer Books or CVS. Also, there is no in-room coffee, which was painful some mornings, but there is coffee in the lobby for a few hours in the morning.

The internet was great to have too! We were able to stay in touch with family back home and check out things to do while we were there.
The Metro is very close to the hotel and very easy to use.
Great hotel! I would recommend it to anyone going to DC.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank IrishKPF
Hello IrishKPF,

I am glad that you enjoyed your first trip to DC and the Hotel Madera. I see you can’t wait to come back and we are happy to have you!
Chicago
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Madera. I liked the DuPont Circle location. There are lots of restaurants in the area and the Metro is a few blocks away from the hotel. The bed was comfortable and the room stylish. The t.v. was large and the mini-bar had a good selection. The negatives were a very small bathroom, too few towels (only 2 bath towels and they were rather scratchy), and loud noise from the busy street outside/the bar/restaurant in the building. I asked for a high floor room, but was given a third floor room. Due to the noise, I was woken up many times during the night. I would suggest insisting on a high floor, unless you plan to be out late and/or don't mind noise. The free wine hour was a plus. The restaurant in the hotel is rather pricey, but has a nice atmosphere. While I did not bring a dog, I thought it was cool that they allow dogs to stay there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank purplevelvet
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 9 June 2009
Hello Purplevelvet,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. I too like the Dupont Circle location. There are indeed lots of restaurants and shops in the area and the metro is just a few blocks away. I apologize about the city noise disturbing your stay. It is not pleasant being woken up to sirens and car traffic.

Again thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
New York
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My partner and I spent Memorial Day weekend at the Madera. It was his birthday, so I called ahead to arrange flowers in the room. Spoke with the wonderful Kelli who couldn't have been more helpful. Not only were the flowers perfect, but Kelli sent up a small bottle of wine! In fact, the entire staff was terrific, always helpful, always greeting us when we returned. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We did not have a balcony, but the weather was so muggy we wouldn't have wanted to go outside. The bathroom, I must say, is teeny tiny. If you like luxury bathrooms in hotels, stay elsewhere. Also the reception area seemed dark and drab. Since this is the first impression of the hotel, I'd say it could use some brightening up as it doesn't reflect the experience that awaits.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alan93
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 29 May 2009
Hello Alan93,

I am happy you spent Memorial Day weekend with us and were able to celebrate your partner’s birthday also. Keli is a star and I know she will be happy to hear she made such a positive impact on your stay. Thank you for staying and come back again and visit us soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2009

i did A LOT of online research on dc hotels before selecting one for a three night stay. i have to say i found the madera a bit disappointing. an overall enjoyable stay in a vibrant neighborhood, but a with laundry list of small flaws that really added up and did effect the overall quality of our stay.

flaws (surprisingly a lot, considering the price and positive reviews here.
- was initially sent to a treadmill room, not the balcony room we had reserved.
- bed baseboards scuffed up, while room showing some age.
- toiletries totally not aveda, as promised on hotel website. no lotion. only soap at sink labeled for face.
- stained towel (ew!). all towels thin and on the small side.
- weird red paint (i hope!) on drain in bathtub.
- hallway to room extremely warm and unpleasant smelling (like maple syrup, almost)?
- no stationary in room.
- no furniture on balcony, what's the point of a balcony you can't comfortably enjoy?
- sliding glass door to balcony VERY sticky and difficult to open.
- giant brand new flat screen HDTV, but with analogue signal! so pictures are a little fuzzy.
- business center hotel costs $6 for 15 minutes, no smaller increments for printing bus tickets.
- front doors to hotel are locked late at night and people need to be buzzed in by desk staff. twice i arrived to the doors to find no one at the desk. granted both times they appeared after about all of about 5 seconds, but i thought i was going crazy the first night it happened when i couldn't get the doors open.

pros!
- staff was willing to add "$1 more" breakfast promo to the room we booked before deal was available.
- totally spacious room with plenty of space to breathe.
- stellar dupont circle location, on a beautiful quiet residential street.
- room quite soundproof.
- strong, free wireless.
- flawless control over the temperature of the room.
- comfortable bed.
- beautiful molding in hallway.
- milk and oreos at night! <3

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank aslant
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 21 May 2009
Dear aslant. Thank you for your comments and positive reviews regarding our location, comfort and staff. Your detailed review will certainly aid us in our quest for 100% guest satisfaction and your feedback is appreciated. Please accept my apologies for any discomfort during your visit, each item described has been addressed including changing our website to indicate that we no longer use Aveda Products and that lotion is available on request. We did decide to install our new TV’s before changing over to HDTV because we felt that our guests deserved to enjoy them immediately. The baseboards around the beds are easily scuffed. It only takes one suitcase hitting it to cause a visible scratch. Our engineers and housekeeping are constantly touching up that area of the room. Although we do charge for use of the computer in the business center, our wireless internet access is complimentary and we provide free printing of boarding passes for those who do not carry a laptop. Again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Madera in the near future.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We really booked this hotel by reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. Now we´ve stayed in this hotel and it was a very nice stay. Staff was very friendly, sometimes too and our room was clean and bigger than we expected it would be. It even had a balcony, but that´s because we had a room along the New Hampshire Ave. Pets are welcome and although some people brought in a dog, we didn´t hear `animalsounds` at all.The restaurant was okay, but that´s it. The price for a breakfast is a little too much for what you get... we think.
The White House, dining and a little shopping is just minutes away and could easily be reached through walking. Probably we will return to this hotel when we will be visiting Washington DC again, whenever that will be.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Hello Liefding,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad you chose us based on TripAdvisor reviews. This is a powerful tool to get valuable comments about a hotel from other savvy travelers like yourself. The rooms are indeed nice and spacious and the balconies are a nice treat in Washington DC. I know that the staff will be particularly pleased to hear that they were friendly. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Clark, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed during easter break, so our room rate was high. That said, we were thrilled with our choice. Our room was lovely. Beds were truly comfortable. Great balcony. The bathroom was tiny but who cares? The shower pressure was perfect. The sink and makeup area are seperate and there was plenty of room for my husband, son and myself. The staff was terrific. The adjacent restauarnt, Firefly was fantastic. The location is absolutely perfect. Dupont Circle is the best and the Metro station is really close by. Loved the neighborhood. LOVED HOTEL MADERA. Have already recommended it to others andwould absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank NJBrooklynborn
Hello NJBrooklynborn,

Thank you for your comments. They are a great way for our potential guests to read about the hotel. I am glad that you really liked the hotel, the restaurant and the staff. We all try our best to make each and everyone feel at home. Thank you for visiting and please come again soon!