“It all comes together at Madera”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Island, NY
“It all comes together at Madera”
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I just returned from a six-day trip to Washington, D.C. where I stayed at the Hotel Madera in Dupont Circle. Here's my take on this boutique chain hotel.

Cleanliness-Very clean. I saw no insects, cobwebs or dust on the furniture. The only thing I did notice, and only when I looked up close, was some writing on the wall in my hotel room. I could tell there had been efforts to clean it. They just couldn't get it all out.

Service-VERY friendly folks at the front desk. They always said hello and goodbye to guests. One thing though: the day I checked in, I was offered a hand with my luggage, which I declined because I didn't need it. The morning I checked out, however, I had more bags and I wasn't offered a hand to get out of the door. I wasn't peeved, but it would have been nice. You say, "Well, you should have asked." I say, in the hospitality industry, a guest shouldn't have to ask for something as basic as holding the door open.

Location-Dupont Circle is a busy residential/business area. There are plenty of sit-down restaurants there. But there weren't any fast food or takeout joints, which was inconvenient for me because I like to grab-and-go and eat in my hotel room. But there is a post office, a Fed Ex center, a Bank of America and a CVS all within walking distance. Plus, the Dupont Circle station is just two blocks away from the hotel.

Value-I signed up for Kimpton Hotel's free membership program before booking. This allowed me to take advantage of their price-matching deal. I saw a deluxe king room for $181.50/night on Hotels.com. I called Kimpton and told them. So, instead of paying $216/night by booking with Kimpton, they knocked their price down to $181/night and I booked directly with the hotel, which is what I prefer.

Rooms-I liked my room, which was on the top floor. It definitely had a wow factor to it. The bathroom was tiny, with just a toilet and bathtub in it. But the vanity and sink were in a separate area in front of the BIG closet. I also had a balcony, which I never used. Being a Kimpton member gave me free WiFi for my entire stay. It was pretty fast, and I never got booted off. It's an unsecure network though, so make sure all your firewalls and such are working.

What else can I say? The hotel was very quiet and I only saw a handful of guests while I was there. Apparently, they also take pets. I never went to the Firefly restaurant, which always seemed busy during happy hour, or ordered room service because it was expensive and I was traveling on a budget.

Also, the pillows on my bed had feathers. I don't think I've ever used feather pillows before. I mention this because I noticed during my stay that a couple of little scratches and a small rash appeared on my face while staying at the hotel. I don't quite know where they came from. All I know is I didn't have them before my stay at the Madera. My only guess is that I might have had a reaction to the pillows. If you've got sensitive skin, you may want to request foam pillows instead.

All in all, it was a great place to stay, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
White Lake, MI
Reviewed 12 September 2009

First of all, great hotel, friendly service, and its in a great locations. We booked 2 rooms, a king bed room for my husband and I, and a double queen room for my 2 young adult sons. I thought my room was nice but I was surprised when I went to see my sons room. Their room was nearly twice the size of mine and they had a balcony. And I paid $10.00 more per night for the smaller room. So my advice is to decide if you'd rather have a king bed or more room. I would definatly stay at this hotel in the future but would choose the 2 queen beds room.

• Stayed August 2009
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed 14 August 2009

The neighborhood surrounding the Hotel Madera is lively and a lot of fun - from the folks milling about DuPont circle to the beautiful people sitting outside eating and drinking in the many nearby restaurants.

My room was large, clean, and comfortable. The small balcony was nice and offered a great view of the area including the Egyptian embassy is right across the street.

A few pluses & minuses:
(+) The front desk staff is fantastic. Very friendly and eager to please.
(-) Strangely, the valet does not appear to hang around outside much. On several occasions, I had to go inside to find someone to park my car.
(-) The bathroom is tiny!!! One has to step next to the stool in order to close the door.
(+) The Firefly lounge restaurant makes a great breakfast!
(+) The location is great if you are traveling via Metro. If you are driving - not so much. Parking is a nightmare, traffic is a pain.

Overall, I had a great stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank gcmanke2
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 27 August 2009
Hello chemical_laser,

Thank you for staying with us. I see you like the neighborhood which is located right next to Dupont Circle which you rightly pointed out. I am glad that you liked the spacious room with the balcony. I know that everyone at the front desk will be pleased to hear that they made your stay enjoyable and that they were eager to please and fantastic. I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay and will be back. We are happy to accommodate you!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Stayed for 6 nights in August 09. Room surprisingly big for a city like DC. Really comfy bed, room and bathroom extremely clean. Very nice to have 42" lcd TV in the room (and our room was a moderately priced one too...). And although the hotel was busy, we never heard a noise from outside our room, which is a big plus.

Dupont Circle is a nice, safe neighbourhood, but you'll need to take a metro (2 minute walk), or a cab to visit most of the sights if you don't want to walk till you drop.

Staff at the desk were really helpful and extremely welcoming. Free coffee in the morning and wine from 5pm - 6pm were very nice touches. Free wireless internet in the room was another bonus, (having paid $12 a day for internet in New York recently...). I'd also highly recommend the Firefly restaurant attached to the hotel, we ate here twice and the food was top notch, (but not cheap).

Couldn't recommend this place highly enough, if you book it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 14 August 2009
Hello RMGillM,

Thanks for staying at the Madera during your trip to DC. I see that you enjoyed your room. I agree the hotel is in a nice part of the city and close to the major attractions. It is nice to hear that the staff were friendly and extremely welcoming and that you were able to enjoy the coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. Thanks for the recommendation for the Firefly as well as the hotel. Again, I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will come back again soon!
South Carolina
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We were there for 4 nights this past week. it is a great place to stay for the $$$, Close to the metro. Could use a little updating, but all in all good value. If you arrive on the weekend, it may be possible to find a place on the street to park. We were able to find one with Jeremy's assistance. He was VERY helpful BTW!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Hello Wads,

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad you got value for your money. I am sure Jeremy will be glad to hear that he was able to help you out. He provides great guest service. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
South Africa
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks in July 2009. First off the hotel gave us an incredible deal and happily matched any price on any other website. The rooms are quite sizeable. The decor is fun and cheerful. The location is fantastic - just two blocks from Dupont CIrcle and the Metro. The hotel is surrounded by great restaurants from casual to elegant within easy and safe walking distance. The area is very lively and quite a buzz.
But the best thing about this hotel is the level of personal service and attention. It beats some 5star plus hotels we have stayed in. Staff are attentive. No problem is insoluble. There are also personal touches like free wine at happy hour.
The restauarant downstairs, The Firefly, is also great and very attentive. Some of the reviews say it is pricey. I don't think so. It is relatively speaking perhaps a bit more than the hotel, but not overpriced for for the type of restaurant it is.
We would definitely stay here again or in any other Kimpton Hotel. There is nothing chain hotel about this hotel, even though it is part of a chain

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
Hello Levenberg,

Thank you for your comments. We are all glad that you enjoyed your room and the décor of the hotel. I am glad that the thing you enjoyed best is the level of service provided. We all try to do our best to go above and beyond whenever and wherever possible. Thank you for staying and please come back and stay again!
London, UK
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Was in DC for a conference and then one day's sightseeing. Booked hotel via hotels.com and got a great deal on the long stay (6 nights). Room was spacious and staff were helpful as partner had booked on his credit card but wasn't coming until later but sorted very quickly. Loved the neighbourhood (Dupont Circle) and caught tail end of gay pride parade, lots of book shops and independent shops. Walkable into town but metro 2 mins away and very easy to use. Free wine and cookies in evening which I managed to miss out on most of the time but nice touch. Also welcomes pets and puts sign up welcoming them which I thought was cute. Bar and restaurant were always busy and tried bar one night and was okay (nothing special). Would stay again and/or try other Kimpton properties such as Hotel Rouge.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Hello Pinklibrarian,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Washington DC for a conference. I am glad that you liked your room and thought the staff was very friendly. I am glad you appreciate the wine hour and evening milk and cookies, even though you missed it most of the time. It is a great way to mingle with other guests and also meet the furry companions we have at the hotel. You are right we are very pet friendly. Thanks for staying and wanting to come back. Hopefully we will see you again soon!