“Loved this hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I was very happy with my stay at Hotel Madera. The staff were exceptionally nice and helpful. I loved the room...the beds were incredibly comfortable, the size was great and I liked that the bathing and dressing areas were removed from the main part of the room. One reviewer remarked that there were not fast food places near the hotel, but in Dupont Circle there are all sorts of nice chains and non-chains that offer carry-out. The front desk folks helped me get a taxi at the un-godly hour of 5:15 a.m. and for that I am very grateful. I had breakfast at the Firefly restaurant and it was great. I will stay here again on my next trip to D.C.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2009

Hello lsalisburym,

Thank you for your kind words. We are all very happy you enjoyed your stay at the Madera. I am pleased that the staff were able to help with a taxi early in the morning. I know they will be happy to hear that news. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed 22 September 2009

We try to stay at Kimpton hotels whenever possible. Got a fabulous rate of $70/night via Priceline. The staff was attentive, helpful, and friendly. The room (#409) was very spacious, though it did not have a balcony. The toilet and shower are in one room, the sink in another area. The bathing area was a little tight, but certainly manageable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Hello mimiko,

Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton follower. Everyone at Kimpton thanks you and appreciates it! I am glad you got a favorable rate and enjoyed the room. Thank you again and please don’t be a stranger.

Reviewed 18 September 2009

I was at the Hotel Madera this week for two nights. It's my favorite Kimpton Hotel in Washington, DC (I hear the the Hotel Palomar is also really good, but I haven't stayed there yet). The Madera is so comfy and the staff are so friendly. The rooms are classy, but not too trendy (e.g., the Helix). It's in a great location, too. After a long day of (sometimes mind-numbing) meetings, its great to get back to my room and relax. This time I had room 1006, which was especially nice. It had a professional treadmill, a work area, and as I have come to appreciate from the Kimpton Hotels, a very comfy bed!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Hello GATraveljunkies,

Wow! Thank you for your high praise. Being your favorite is an accomplishment, one that everyone here at the hotel will be proud of. Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 18 September 2009

I just returned from a six-day trip to Washington, D.C. where I stayed at the Hotel Madera in Dupont Circle. Here's my take on this boutique chain hotel.

Cleanliness-Very clean. I saw no insects, cobwebs or dust on the furniture. The only thing I did notice, and only when I looked up close, was some writing on the wall in my hotel room. I could tell there had been efforts to clean it. They just couldn't get it all out.

Service-VERY friendly folks at the front desk. They always said hello and goodbye to guests. One thing though: the day I checked in, I was offered a hand with my luggage, which I declined because I didn't need it. The morning I checked out, however, I had more bags and I wasn't offered a hand to get out of the door. I wasn't peeved, but it would have been nice. You say, "Well, you should have asked." I say, in the hospitality industry, a guest shouldn't have to ask for something as basic as holding the door open.

Location-Dupont Circle is a busy residential/business area. There are plenty of sit-down restaurants there. But there weren't any fast food or takeout joints, which was inconvenient for me because I like to grab-and-go and eat in my hotel room. But there is a post office, a Fed Ex center, a Bank of America and a CVS all within walking distance. Plus, the Dupont Circle station is just two blocks away from the hotel.

Value-I signed up for Kimpton Hotel's free membership program before booking. This allowed me to take advantage of their price-matching deal. I saw a deluxe king room for $181.50/night on Hotels.com. I called Kimpton and told them. So, instead of paying $216/night by booking with Kimpton, they knocked their price down to $181/night and I booked directly with the hotel, which is what I prefer.

Rooms-I liked my room, which was on the top floor. It definitely had a wow factor to it. The bathroom was tiny, with just a toilet and bathtub in it. But the vanity and sink were in a separate area in front of the BIG closet. I also had a balcony, which I never used. Being a Kimpton member gave me free WiFi for my entire stay. It was pretty fast, and I never got booted off. It's an unsecure network though, so make sure all your firewalls and such are working.

What else can I say? The hotel was very quiet and I only saw a handful of guests while I was there. Apparently, they also take pets. I never went to the Firefly restaurant, which always seemed busy during happy hour, or ordered room service because it was expensive and I was traveling on a budget.

Also, the pillows on my bed had feathers. I don't think I've ever used feather pillows before. I mention this because I noticed during my stay that a couple of little scratches and a small rash appeared on my face while staying at the hotel. I don't quite know where they came from. All I know is I didn't have them before my stay at the Madera. My only guess is that I might have had a reaction to the pillows. If you've got sensitive skin, you may want to request foam pillows instead.

All in all, it was a great place to stay, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2009

First of all, great hotel, friendly service, and its in a great locations. We booked 2 rooms, a king bed room for my husband and I, and a double queen room for my 2 young adult sons. I thought my room was nice but I was surprised when I went to see my sons room. Their room was nearly twice the size of mine and they had a balcony. And I paid $10.00 more per night for the smaller room. So my advice is to decide if you'd rather have a king bed or more room. I would definatly stay at this hotel in the future but would choose the 2 queen beds room.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 14 August 2009

The neighborhood surrounding the Hotel Madera is lively and a lot of fun - from the folks milling about DuPont circle to the beautiful people sitting outside eating and drinking in the many nearby restaurants.

My room was large, clean, and comfortable. The small balcony was nice and offered a great view of the area including the Egyptian embassy is right across the street.

A few pluses & minuses:
(+) The front desk staff is fantastic. Very friendly and eager to please.
(-) Strangely, the valet does not appear to hang around outside much. On several occasions, I had to go inside to find someone to park my car.
(-) The bathroom is tiny!!! One has to step next to the stool in order to close the door.
(+) The Firefly lounge restaurant makes a great breakfast!
(+) The location is great if you are traveling via Metro. If you are driving - not so much. Parking is a nightmare, traffic is a pain.

Overall, I had a great stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank gcmanke2
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2009

Hello chemical_laser,

Thank you for staying with us. I see you like the neighborhood which is located right next to Dupont Circle which you rightly pointed out. I am glad that you liked the spacious room with the balcony. I know that everyone at the front desk will be pleased to hear that they made your stay enjoyable and that they were eager to please and fantastic. I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay and will be back. We are happy to accommodate you!

Reviewed 12 August 2009

Stayed for 6 nights in August 09. Room surprisingly big for a city like DC. Really comfy bed, room and bathroom extremely clean. Very nice to have 42" lcd TV in the room (and our room was a moderately priced one too...). And although the hotel was busy, we never heard a noise from outside our room, which is a big plus.

Dupont Circle is a nice, safe neighbourhood, but you'll need to take a metro (2 minute walk), or a cab to visit most of the sights if you don't want to walk till you drop.

Staff at the desk were really helpful and extremely welcoming. Free coffee in the morning and wine from 5pm - 6pm were very nice touches. Free wireless internet in the room was another bonus, (having paid $12 a day for internet in New York recently...). I'd also highly recommend the Firefly restaurant attached to the hotel, we ate here twice and the food was top notch, (but not cheap).

Couldn't recommend this place highly enough, if you book it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2009

Hello RMGillM,

Thanks for staying at the Madera during your trip to DC. I see that you enjoyed your room. I agree the hotel is in a nice part of the city and close to the major attractions. It is nice to hear that the staff were friendly and extremely welcoming and that you were able to enjoy the coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. Thanks for the recommendation for the Firefly as well as the hotel. Again, I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will come back again soon!