“Love, Love, Love this hotel!”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #63 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Had a wonderful weekend stay at Hotel Madera, on one of their Winter Spark Packages and it surpassed all expectations. The location is great, the price is right, and the staff couldn't be more helpful and courteous--everything done with a smile! The room was a good size, well-appointed, comfortable--and spotless. I've already raved to anyone who would listen and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 March 2010

The hotel has a perfect location - just a 2 min. walk to the Dupont Metro. We really enjoyed our week stay, and it would be difficult to find a better value in DC, but I'll list the pros/cons.
We got stranded mid-transit and the staff was great about accommodating us with our original preferences. As we requested, our room was very quiet - we never heard any of the neighbors. The view of the city, even from a non-balcony room, was really nice. The staff was generally very nice, and always more friendly than staff at the larger chains. The bed was also comfortable, the desk area was great, and it's always nice to have robes provided. The room was clean, and the TV was very nice. It was also nice seeing guests with their dogs - it made it feel less like a hotel (there were no animal smells in the room or common areas). The hot chocolate in the afternoon was a nice touch - especially in the winter. Overall, it seemed like the hotel/staff cared about whether the guests were comfortable.
There were a few things that I thought could have been better, but overall these negatives are not enough to keep me from staying there again.
The bathroom (toilet and shower/tub) was very small and outdated. The fixtures were nice and clean, but the grout could have been bleached - or better yet, tiles replaced. Some of the furniture was nicked or the fabric torn in a place or two making it look a little worn, but not excessive wear. It's an older building, and you can see that in the patched popcorn ceilings and little details like that. The towels were also a little rough. Although the restaurant has a good reputation, I thought the menu was a little limited and I thought the food was only average quality. However, guest services was very helpful in recommending other restaurants that delivered.
Overall, the stay was good and uneventful, but having a larger updated bathroom and softer towels would have made things more comfortable. It would be hard to find a better value in DC.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I already had fallen in love with the Madera when I first stayed there in October 09, and have been back twice since. I love the rooms, the friendlyness of the staff, and the general quirkyness of the Kimpton brand, which sets this hotel apart. This time was special however, since I stayed during the 'great Blizzard of 2010'. The team of the hotel went out of their way to accommodate guests, and the manager immediately made sure that guests were given any help they required. Also, things like the free wine tasting/free coffee were extended, a free movie offered during the weekend in recognition that there might not be much else to do, and if it had not been for the snow, nobody would have noticed that Washington had ground to a halt outside. Me and my colleagues were very grateful for the attention and care taken of us. So a big thanks to the hotel staff, and I look forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Even before I got to my room, I knew the Madera would exceed. I arrived pretty early at 10am, and asked if there was a way to check in to get ready for a meeting I had at 1 pm. I knew that being so early, chances were slim that they had any rooms ready. But the front desk took my cell number and said they'd call if/when something was ready. I didn't expect they'd ever call back, so I browsed around the local shops. 20 minutes later my cell rings and they have a room. Rooms were very spacious, and the decor was a perfect blend of modern chic but a little more subdued and business-like. I had a balcony which was huge and great views. Staff always said hi and were very friendly. Overall a very comfortable room with a great staff to top it off. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful - and the location was awesome! ...comfy bed too

Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We just completed our stay at the Hotel Madera and have to say it was excellent. All the staff, but especially Michelle, were great. The room was wonderful as was the evening wine reception. We could not have been happier. We we asked for a late check-out the staff went out of their way to accommodate us.

This is a wonderful place to stay and explore Washington DC. Our daughter couldn't believe that such a nice hotel would be pet friendly too...

Thanks for doing such a great job..

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel twice during the summer of 2009 and we had an opposite expierence to the one tltled avoid avoid. When we arrived we were greeted and the reception agent advised us to get a coorner room, was very friendly and informative and we were so impressed with the location service and size of the room that we came back latter in the summer on a different visit. Other than parking issues in the area ( did not want valet) we had a great experience. I think the person who helped us was named Ann and she and the staff were great. On the return visit we were actually given an extra complementary breakfast coupon for an additional guest.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple