“Elegance at a good price.”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #3 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is so elegant and has such personal service, you feel like youre coming home every time you walk in. The reception and concierge service are very good. Our room was perfect and the location is a stones throw from the White House. All in all a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ragatan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed at the Hay-Adams as a family this summer. The hotel is beautiful and elegant, yet very family friendly. Our room was a knock out and extremely comfy. The view of the White House from our window was spectacular. The location was terrific and fairly close to everything we could want on this trip. We enjoyed both restaurants and they went out of their way for the kids to ensure they enjoyed their meals as well. The concierge service was extraordinary from the moment we were booked months ago. They worked with us to not only plan our daily schedule but arranged all tour tickets and yes their was a small fee for the courier that waited for the tickets daily, but worth it! After each very long day in 100 degree heat of touring, to come back to such a beautiful place and have a lovely meal was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for five nights during my time in Washington DC and was absolutely blown away by the time I spent here. Everything was done to perfection

The room I stayed in was breathtaking - easily one of the most amazingly wonderful hotel rooms I have stayed in. It was a unique combination of beauty, elegance and grandeur and a homely down-to-earth comfort which made you feel relaxed and welcome. All the furnishings in the room were very beautifully and immaculately designed (the lovely bed deserves particular mention in terms of its elegant design, beautiful linen and the curtains that enveloped it) and the lighting was fitted in such a way as to really make the room look spectacular when illuminated. No amenity or luxury was lacking and the contents of the mini-bar were absolutely amazing -lots of delicious sweets, cookies, chocolates and jellybeans as well as a wide variety of beverages. I have never seen a mini-bar like it. The bathroom was also beautifully designed and had all the toiletries that you could possibly want.

Service was exceptional. Of particular note was the receptionist who checked me out -who seemed to be coping with 200 different things at once and yet managed to complete each task very diligently while making everyone she was dealing with feel unique and special. The hotel doorman was amazing -he was able to assist me greatly in navigating Washington and was warm and friendly throughout my stay. The concierge service was also great. The housekeeping staff were polite, friendly and helpful to a fault and the nice lady to came in every night to give me the next day's weather report and chocolates was an absolute gem

The location of this hotel is also amazing. I knew it was close to the White House and that some rooms overlooked the White House but I didn't realize just how close until I decided to have a walk around the area surrounding the hotel and literally bumped into the White House! Some very nice restaurants nearby as well

Only one very minor issue. On the third day of my visit, circumstances meant that I stayed in my hotel room until the early afternoon and housekeeping phoned me to check when I would be out of my hotel room so that they could clean it. I gave them a specific time and they said they would come and clean it after that time. I made sure I was out of my hotel room by that specific time and was away for several hours. When I came back, the room hadn't been cleaned. It wasn't a big issue and don't hold it against housekeeping (who did an otherwise excellent job) -I was just a little puzzled about it

This hotel is a bit on the expensive side but is well worth the price and staying here was an absolutely marvelous experience and one of the highlights of my trip to the United States. Staying at this hotel was an absolutely unique once-in-a-lifetime experience which left me with many cherished and wonderful memories and I hope to return in the near future. I cannot recommend it highly enough

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank OL1981
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The Hay-Adams is a nicely appointed boutique hotel just across the street from Lafayette Park. Service is attentive and rooms are a bit small but really nice and cozy. As we were there in January we could see the White House through the trees of Lafayette Park and the ensemble made the view from the room really beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We held our wedding reception on the new rooftop at The Hay-Adams Hotel this past June and it was everything we dreamed. The space was absolutely breathtaking and our guests loved the views of the White House and monuments! The Hay-Adams is a classic Washington, DC hotel that exudes the very best in taste and luxury, yet you won’t find an ounce of pretentiousness with its incredible staff. You will be wowed from the moment you pull up to this grand hotel. Our family and friends stayed at The Hay and were raving about their experience from the moment they checked in.

The rooms, the rooftop space, and the food were all incredible. The banquet staff was superb and Francis Ciganek, our Banquet Captain, handled running the reception with perfection. He checked in regularly with us and coordinated with our DJ on managing the flow of every aspect of the evening. All of the banquet staff was nothing short of perfect. You rarely noticed them yet they were always there to serve our guests, ensure the tables were plated and cleared in a timely manner, and to assist guests with anything else they needed. They banquet staff executed with flawless precision. In addition, we can’t say enough about the food. It was simply to die for and our guests were raving about everything from the hors d'œuvre at the cocktail hour, to the three course dinner. The rooms are beautifully designed with every detail in place. We're still hearing from our guests about how amazing of an experience it was for them at The Hay-Adams. Also, the front of the house staff (Jack Nargil [of the prestigious Les Clefs d'Or] and his team at the Concierge Desk, Paul Carabello managing the operations of the ever busy lobby, the bell men, Francesca Boelke, the assistant manager, and so many other wonderful staff) really made the difference during our (and our family's) time at the hotel. Even after returning a month later for dinner in the Lafayette Room, the staff remembered us by name and welcomed us back as though we had never left.

We can’t say enough about this extraordinary place and highly recommend The Hay-Adams Hotel for a fun weekend stay, an event big or small, or for a romantic getaway. We wish we had another wedding to plan as we would love to host another event there! Thank you to Amanda Reinke (our Catering and Sales Manager) and The Hay-Adams staff for making our wedding so special!

Room Tip: Ask for a non interior view room. It may cost a little extra, but the views are worth every penny!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlakeTraveler
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Not a guest. Just passing through hotel with mother. Two decent people who needed refreshment and ladies room on an extremely hot DC afternoon near the White House. OBNOXIOUS, RUDE, UNKIND STAFF IN LOBBY would not allow us in and created a loud and humiliating ordeal. IS THIS HOW HAY ADAMS TREATS CITIZENS AND DC VISITORS? I wouldn't stay here or recommend to anyone even for free. We were treated deplorably. No one ever has to be that awful to anyone. Just remember, how you treat others will not be forgotten - and you never know the sphere of influence somone you have treated poorly may have. I suggest hard-working people spend their money to stay elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank horrified2011
Management response:Responded 5 August 2011

We regret this guest's perception upon entering the hotel's lobby. However, being an intimate, residential property across the street from the White House, it is our policy to limit access to our facilities to registered guests and our restaurant patrons.
We do this to respect our guests' privacy and safety.
Having been awarded "one of the World's Best Hotels" in Travel and Leisure's August, 2011, edition, we feel this person's experience is an exception to the thousands of other travelers perceptions of The Hay Adams, where nothing is overlooked but the White House.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The Hay Adams is my favorite hotel. Not just in Washington but anywhere. The location is great too, right by the White House. Our room was a gorgeous one bedroom suite. The staff were the nicest people that I have ever experienced. From our first greeting at check in to our last greeting at check out and everyone in between. I can't wait to come back!!!!..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple