“The Best Hotel Stay Ever!!!”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #5 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 3 September 2011

It was my husband's birthday and Hurricane Irene decided to join us. Ever wondered what happened to customer service, it resides at the Hay Adams in Washington DC. The concierge's entire team was Excellent, but Eric and Anna (Manager) were the best.. Anna made the best dinner recommendation and Eric arranged for a special birthday celebration dinner since we had to cancel our dinner reservation due to the weather. The chef baked my husband a Special B-day cake. The breakfast was second to none the team was excellent. Giovanni you are Excellent, Anthony (bar) Perfect - Michell (Bartendar) Great. The Bar/rest Manager and the servers WOW, talk about excellent servers. I hate that I can't remember the server's name for dinner in the Bar because he was Perfection!! I left some jewelry in my rooom & HSKP gave it to Willie (Security) who sent it to my home within 24hrs. WOW. I love this place. Room SVC and the room was AMAZING!!! Everyone seemed to know it was my husband's birthday and took care to wish him well. The Bell staff, WOW!!

1  Thank Zita S

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Everyone at this hotel has a personal, warm and friendly attitude. The staff is very attentive and REAL. The Hay Adams isn't exactly a small hotel, but it feels like you're staying at one. I thought there would be a tinge of pretense and snootiness in the air but I found none.

The location is the best in DC. Our room had a window that opened all the way and overlooked the White House and Washington Monument, which at night when lit up looked spectacular and even surreal to look at. The view truly is unforgettable and no other hotel in DC can match that.

Manager Christof Pignet provided me with extensive restaurant recommendations that helped me narrow down the many food options in DC. He was amazing to communicate with and made the reservation process a joy.

The decor is also really elegant and the hotel is well maintained. The Hay Adams is a charming hotel. No wonder the Obamas chose to stay there before moving into the White House...

2  Thank JordanPelaez
Reviewed 31 August 2011

If you're looking for a place to truly take in Washington, D.C., make sure you stay at The Hay-Adams. Fit for the President (the Obamas stayed here before moving into their place across the street) as well as a handful of celebrities and politicians, the hotel provides amazing --- if not the best --- views. If you can, splurge on a room facing the White House (the rooms facing St. John's are also nice). Elegantly appointed, you will never want to leave your room!

The service at the Hay-Adams is impeccable ... Never did I have to open a door ... Someone always beat me to it! And, everyone is so pleasant, greeting you by name! VIP treatment all the way!

Last, The Hay-Adams is conveniently located in the heart of D.C. In walking distance of the monuments/Smithsonian/Dupont Circle, it's a short Metro ride away from China Town, Old Town Alexandria, etc. It's also close by to Georgetown --- a short cab ride away.

While staying at The Hay-Adams, be sure to do the following:
* Grab a cookie at the front desk ... Baked fresh everyday, they are a lovely treat!
* Breakfast in the Lafayette Room ... A delicious way to start your morning!
* Have a night cap at Off the Record Bar ... One of the coolest bars/lounges you will ever visit ... A great place to start or end your evening!
* Brunch at Top of the Hay ... Hands down, the best view in town. Directly overlooks the White House and Washington Monument ... You can also see the Jefferson Memorial in the near distance

The Hay-Adams is a pet-friendly hotel. Didn't bring my pooch, but I'm certain that if I did, he would have received the red-carpet treatment, never wanting to leave!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dawkito20
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We usually stay across the street at the Willard but got a good rate at the Hay Adams. The room was adequate but the beds were not comfortable. We ordered room service and the food was just OK. On the plus side check in and out is ultra fast and staff is fast responding. Not much of a lobby either. Location however can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank resistk1
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is so elegant and has such personal service, you feel like youre coming home every time you walk in. The reception and concierge service are very good. Our room was perfect and the location is a stones throw from the White House. All in all a wonderful stay.

1  Thank ragatan
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed at the Hay-Adams as a family this summer. The hotel is beautiful and elegant, yet very family friendly. Our room was a knock out and extremely comfy. The view of the White House from our window was spectacular. The location was terrific and fairly close to everything we could want on this trip. We enjoyed both restaurants and they went out of their way for the kids to ensure they enjoyed their meals as well. The concierge service was extraordinary from the moment we were booked months ago. They worked with us to not only plan our daily schedule but arranged all tour tickets and yes their was a small fee for the courier that waited for the tickets daily, but worth it! After each very long day in 100 degree heat of touring, to come back to such a beautiful place and have a lovely meal was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for five nights during my time in Washington DC and was absolutely blown away by the time I spent here. Everything was done to perfection

The room I stayed in was breathtaking - easily one of the most amazingly wonderful hotel rooms I have stayed in. It was a unique combination of beauty, elegance and grandeur and a homely down-to-earth comfort which made you feel relaxed and welcome. All the furnishings in the room were very beautifully and immaculately designed (the lovely bed deserves particular mention in terms of its elegant design, beautiful linen and the curtains that enveloped it) and the lighting was fitted in such a way as to really make the room look spectacular when illuminated. No amenity or luxury was lacking and the contents of the mini-bar were absolutely amazing -lots of delicious sweets, cookies, chocolates and jellybeans as well as a wide variety of beverages. I have never seen a mini-bar like it. The bathroom was also beautifully designed and had all the toiletries that you could possibly want.

Service was exceptional. Of particular note was the receptionist who checked me out -who seemed to be coping with 200 different things at once and yet managed to complete each task very diligently while making everyone she was dealing with feel unique and special. The hotel doorman was amazing -he was able to assist me greatly in navigating Washington and was warm and friendly throughout my stay. The concierge service was also great. The housekeeping staff were polite, friendly and helpful to a fault and the nice lady to came in every night to give me the next day's weather report and chocolates was an absolute gem

The location of this hotel is also amazing. I knew it was close to the White House and that some rooms overlooked the White House but I didn't realize just how close until I decided to have a walk around the area surrounding the hotel and literally bumped into the White House! Some very nice restaurants nearby as well

Only one very minor issue. On the third day of my visit, circumstances meant that I stayed in my hotel room until the early afternoon and housekeeping phoned me to check when I would be out of my hotel room so that they could clean it. I gave them a specific time and they said they would come and clean it after that time. I made sure I was out of my hotel room by that specific time and was away for several hours. When I came back, the room hadn't been cleaned. It wasn't a big issue and don't hold it against housekeeping (who did an otherwise excellent job) -I was just a little puzzled about it

This hotel is a bit on the expensive side but is well worth the price and staying here was an absolutely marvelous experience and one of the highlights of my trip to the United States. Staying at this hotel was an absolutely unique once-in-a-lifetime experience which left me with many cherished and wonderful memories and I hope to return in the near future. I cannot recommend it highly enough

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo