“Beautiful hotel, great restaurant”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #1 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Ivy, Virginia
“Beautiful hotel, great restaurant”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed for 3 nights, beautiful hotel, though the rooms are small. Exceptional service from arrival to departure, without exception. The bar on the lower level was always so crowded we never used it, but the restaurant is among the best in Washington: exceptional food, service, and atmosphere (for some reason it is closed for dinner on Staurdays).

Room Tip: Rooms facing the streets are noisey. Rooms tend to be small, try for an upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Other luxury hotels need to take lessons from the staff of the Hay-Adams.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank HaveHeart
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 30 January 2012

spent one night here - everything went well, staff are friendly, hotel and room was clean and nicely furnished, quiet with no view

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I have been fortunate to stay in many nice hotels, but (by far) this was the best. Flor Blanca in Costa Rica is probably tied...but for different reasons, mainly the location and uniqueness. Which are the two qualities that set the Hay Adams apart...it's just that the Hay Adams doesn't have an empty, crescent shaped...right out of a post card...5 mile long beach in front. If you're ever in Costa Rica, Flor Blanca is a must...but I digress...

In my 3 months in DC, I stayed here for the weekend and the Willard a couple weekends after that. I like trying out hotels and considered the Ritz or Four Seasons...but I wanted the real DC experience.

I'm not your average traveler and certainly didn't dress up to DC standards. I arrived in my traditional gym shorts, t-shirt and running shoes (sorry to all you formal DC-ers!) Yet, they treated me the same way as the other guests in suits...I was 20 at the time, but I look like I'm 15. Yes, they did ask for my ID to make sure I'm old enough to stay there...which always gets to me, but they can't do anything about that. Even so, they didn't look down at me and were polite about it and I told them that I get that all the time...regardless of where I am...and we laughed. The service was the same all throughout my stay.

The lobby is something else. The Fairmont in SF? Impressive and beautiful...and a real throwback to classic San Francisco. The Willard? Similar and very impressive...but a lot of tourists. It is easy to do an impressive lobby, but it is hard to replicate the "vibe" (to borrow a California word) one gets at the Hay Adams. Intimate, quiet and discreet...yet beautiful and totally DC.

The food, from breakfast to lunch to dinner was exquisite. As is the location....across from the White House? Does it get any better in DC? Sadly, the weather was awful...so I couldn't run around outside.

I asked for an early check-in and they said they would try to make sure it could happen. What happened next was unbelievable. I arrived early and was told my room wasn't available. But they did say that that a "room" was available and took me to a stunning suite (ST. JOHN’S CHURCH VIEW HOTEL SUITE) overlooking the church with a living room, bedroom and bathroom that was truly above and beyond. The bed was out of this world in terms of comfort and the furnishings were fantastic...as one should expect from a hotel room that is $1,300+/night (yet, I was charged at a much lower rate). I have yet to witness a more beautiful bathroom in a hotel...the shower looked beautiful, but the bathtub was too inviting so I used that the entire time. The living room part was fantastic as well, spacious and lovely. Very comfortable and beautiful.

I decided to order their room service and again, it was extraordinary. They even toasted my bread in the room for breakfast...it is this level of service that sets this hotel apart. The guy that brought up my meals couldn't be nicer and we had a nice, five to ten minute chat about him...what I was doing in DC...etc. What really irks me about high-end hotels are the people, who can be snotty/rude/condescending towards the staff and I try to go out of my way to be nice and polite to them. Just because one can stay in the Hay Adams doesn't make that person any better than those that clean it.

I feel compelled to write this review as it was such a beautiful experience...and the service really sets it apart.

If you are looking for a truly world-class, extraordinary experience...go for the Hay Adams. The Willard is nice and I was impressed...but the Hay Adams is one (or four) steps above.

The things I would improve:

1) The exercise room is small...but I was the only one using it and it was well appointed and I can't fault the equipment...just if there is a lot of people wanting to use it, it would be cramped.

2) I know this is a stretch...but the TV in the living room could have been a bigger TV. But even still, this is a stretch in terms of "criticism." And maybe a TV in the bathroom.

3) No pool. I wouldn't have used it anyway, but I guess it would be nice for a family or those that like doing laps.

Other than that?

Flawless...and then some.

A must in DC!

Room Tip: Suites with a view...you might as well splurge and get the full experience!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JVSD
London
Reviewed 28 January 2012

A truly luxurious hotel which oozes with character and sublime staff.

Room Tip: Always book a room that over looks the whitehouse worth the extra
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed this past weekend (Jan 15, 2012) at this landmark hotel, and was terribly disappointed. I booked their base rate room online (superior) and upon arrival, the room was facing a building in an alley. The room was nice, so I did not think much of it, as we were only there one night. Then in the morning, the dumpster trucks were out in full force. There are numerous dumpsters in the alley, and the noise was terrible first thing in the morning. Upon checkout, I politely asked if the hotel was booked, and was told no, not at all. I suggested that they not use that side of the hotel, unless they have to when the hotel is full. The front desk clerk replied that there are different levels of rooms, and she will note in my file that next time I reserve, they will try to sell me a more expensive room. Not the type of service or reply you would expect. High end hotels like the Ritz even put you in a decent location (not asking for a larger room) when the hotel is not near full, and they have it available. Very disappointing and would not recommend based on this!!!! For $300 per night before tax, you can do better!

Room Tip: Unless you are booking a top category room, don't bother staying here. NOT worth it.....choose...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank pgfla
Boston
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I had a quick overnight trip in DC and every detail was perfect at the Hay-Adams. The location was ideal and the service impeccable. From the moment we checked in everyone from the concierge, to the bellhop, to room service was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to be accommodating. The room had fresh fruit and Fiji water upon our arrival and the turn down service at night had Molten Brown eye cream, slippers, chocolate and quiet music playing. We ordered room service which arrived faster than the time they quoted and the food was all fresh and delicious. Breakfast the next morning was equally fantastic from quick service to a fabulous fruit parfait and egg white omelet. Overall a true gem!

Room Tip: If you choose a room with a view of St. John's church or the White House they have amazing views...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends