“Great Service and Very Comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #3 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Davis, CA
“Great Service and Very Comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

First time I have stayed here. From the moment I walked into the hotel, everyone made me feel welcomed. The rooms are very comfortable in cream colors. My room had a Bose with CD's and I put one on a took a long bath listening to music. Great bath tub. Very nice bathrooms and nice soaps and creams. Windows open for fresh air which is important to me. Room service very good and on time. Beds very nice and perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chiili

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful October weekend at the Hay Adams. The location of the hotel is ideal for walking almost everywhere, and the staff went above and beyond at every turn. They knew our names, arranged a wonderful tour of the monuments, recommended great restaurants, and even sent us a bottle of champagne because I happened to mention that we were celebrating a special wedding anniversary. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the church.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cheryl R
Afton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed at the Hay-Adams Christmas night. I had requested a room with a fireplace. After the Christmas rush and planning to attend a funeral the next day, we were in need of cozy quiet. I did not realize that "ornamental fireplace" translates to non-working fireplace. This was my mistake. To me, a non-working fireplace is just a hole in the wall. If a fireplace is important to you, I was told that only room 812 has a working fireplace. On the other hand, everyone was friendly and efficient. The color scheme is soothing and the flowers perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TimeOut2018
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

I stayed in the Hay Adams in 2012, and had to say that the place was frankly miserable. It's an okay hotel. Amazing service, but pathetic rooms, uncomfortable beds, and a snobby concierge who treated me and my wife like we were pests. The room service was tasteless and over-expensive. The hotel restaurant was also utterly terrible - the gnocci was stale and disgusting. No idea who the legions of people are who love this place - we're not them, I suppose. The Hotel Palomar makes this place look like a Super 8.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank EdZ60763
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Dear EdZ60763,

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism. Frankly, I am a little surprised and dismayed at your delayed response. Based on our distinguished reputation, legions of supportive guests, and as a proud member of the Leading Hotels of the World, it is always our first and foremost desire to rectify any shortfalls in our services and product. I now know that we sincerely tried very hard to meet your specific needs while you were still registered. Obviously, we failed, despite all team members being keenly aware of your sensitivity. I assure you that your concerns expressed have prompted further discussions in our desire to further strengthen our time-honored and well-established status.

As a further token of my concern and a desire to restore you and your wife’s confidence in our service and facility, I would like to offer you a complimentary stay on a return visit. However, if you prefer, as an alternative, I would be happy to assist you with accommodations more suitable to your and your wife’s taste and preferences, as expressed in your response, for one night (on a mutually agreeable date) with our compliments within the year. Please contact my office directly.

Vice President & General Manager
Chappaqua, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Hay Adams for the 3rd time in mid December 2012 for a business event. Amazing location...right next to the White House. Great restaurant, rooms and service. Beautifully decorated lobby and common areas, and the basement bar is historic and memorable.

My only complaint is the creaky floors and neighborhood noise in the rooms. Tough to address in a historic building, and definitely NOT a reason to avoid, but worth noting.

Don't miss the 9th floor view of the White House!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank CRSabol
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear Colin S,

Thank you for your words of praise, and for your feedback on the floors. We will certainly take your remarks into consideration when looking into future property improvements. We hope to welcome you back soon.

VP / General Manager
san francisco, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

We just came back from a four day stay at The Hay-Adams and enjoyed every moment of our time there. Service, service and more service is their motto. From the moment of check-in we felt both welcomed and part of the family. Greeting us by name throughout our visit made us feel like this was our luxury home away from home. And what can I say about Leah, the morning host at the Lafayette restaurant in the hotel - each morning she greeted us with a hug - do you see the family theme here? She is a delight and made every day special. The room was well appointed and after a day of sight seeing the most comfortable bed welcomed us into a wonderful slumber. Most of our activities were in the White House so the location could not be better. On one evening my partner's knee was acting up and he needed it iced - in a matter of minutes the housekeeper brought us a bag of ice and checked in to see how he was doing - I mean REALLY! Another evening we were headed to Georgetown and rather than wait for the taxi the doorman brought the hotel limo to drive us there. We cannot wait to come back next spring.
Salim and Monty

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank salimalama
Dear Salim & Monty,

What a glowing review - our team was simply overjoyed to have received this praise, especially Leah and the housekeeper who assisted you. Our staff go out of their way to provide the absolute best in guest service and hospitality. We are truly delighted that your stay with us was a memorable one. We will be thrilled to welcome you back in the new year!

VP / General Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

With a view on the White House it is simply magical, especially in the evening. The service is top-notch, the rooms luxurious, bedding sublime...everything exactly as it should be. The Black Angus burger is to die for, even at its seemingly high price. The gnocchi is also delicious. Indulge yourself and you will be back again and again. Thank you Hay Adams and The Lafayette!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple