“A Week to Remember...”

Ranked #3 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Palm Springs, California
“A Week to Remember...”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at the Hay-Adams for 5 nights for a wedding I attended last week. As if its location isn't enough, every aspect of this old inn is replete with quality, substance and a tangible devotion to guest satisfaction.

Upon arrival you are treated like royalty and it never stops. The staff, from bellmen to room service waiters to housekeepers is beyond reproach. With whomever one comes into contact on the staff, they remember your name and anticipate your needs as if they had known you for years. And this is all accomplished without a hint of obsequiousness or "tip envy."

The night of the wedding, I was in formal dress and asked Reuben for a cab. A gentleman named Nick happened to overhear me and asked if I was a guest at the Hotel. When I replied in the affirmative, he gave me use of a Lincoln Town Car so that I could arrive unruffled and undamaged! The driver, Johnny, was friendly and knowledgeable, dropping me off at my destination on time and in style.

Once told, the Housekeeping staff didn't need another reminder to keep my ice bucket filled. Arnoldo, my Room Service waiter, was attentive, on time and only too pleased to fulfill any request, i.e., extra butter and real cream for coffee instead of half-and-half...may seem like a small thing, but in the morning, you "need" certain comforts and those who work at the Hay-Adams take great pride in all their hospitality skills.

My room on the 7th floor overlooked "The Yellow Church" and was supremely comfortable in every respect. The linens caress your skin and the towels are thick and plush. New shampoo, and the other amenities are supplied regularly, the shower provides both hand-held and stable splashes of luxuriously hot water on demand and the soaps are pleasantly scented without being overbearing. The in-room safe provides excellent and ample space for one's valuables so that you don't have to "smash" items in. Hangers are numerous and provide men and women's clothing with the required needs. The "ladies" stuffed hangers were especially appreciated for my silk and formal items. Bose entertainment is provided, selected CD's are offered and there is a vast array of television and movie choices.

When I walked into the dining room for a breakfast date, I was given a black napkin so that I would not have white lint on my black outfit. I've seen this done only occassionally in restaurants and it has always registered with me as a sign of consideration and attention to detail not often encountered.

So that this review is not completely perfect, I must say that the hollandaise served with the Eggs Benedict could use some work, but that aside, do yourself a favor and stay here. You will definitely not be sorry. Too bad the U.S. Government cannot be trained to provide such excellent service!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Carol A
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Carol,

Thank you so very much for your beautiful review of The Hay-Adams; I am extremely pleased to hear that you greatly enjoyed your recent stay. Our team is wholly committed to getting to know our guests on an individual level in order to better anticipate their needs when they reside with us. Our goal is first and foremost to create a memorable experience for each guest; that is the greatest reward of all. I will certainly thank Nick and Arnoldo for their exceptional service, as well as the teams in Housekeeping and Lafayette restaurant. We understand those little touches make all the difference, and we strive to go above and beyond every day as we interact with our guests. We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to The Hay-Adams in the near future, and this time with a much improved hollandaise sauce!

VP/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Loved staying here. The location is amazing - the White House is almost next door. The staff are very welcoming and helpful and the room is plush and massively comfortable. An integral part of a fantastic Washington experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve M
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

The Hay Adams is just perfect. The rooms facing Saint John's Church are really charming. An anecdote: we spent a whole day inside it during a snow emergency, and it was like being at home. Mark, at the front desk, is a wizard, solving out any query you may have. The waiters at the restaurant are excellent. And the menu is most local an international. Try the bisque. Whenever we stay in DC, for business reasons, somewhere else, we miss everybody at the Hay Adams.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank StellaPilar
Dear EstelleSkater,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Hay-Adams in Washington, D.C. We have had quite a snowy winter this year, and I am pleased that we were able to make you feel comfortable and at home inside the hotel as you waited for the snow to subside during your trip. I will certainly thank Mark for his excellent service; he is a wonderful member of our team! I will also pass your compliments on to the Lafayette team and our chefs. We are excited to welcome you back to The Hay-Adams in the near future!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel in April, 2014 with our daughter and two grandchildren under the Hay-Adams family fun program. This program includes complementary tour bus tickets for everyone and discount tickets for several museums including the spy museum . The children get a backpack filled with souvenirs. The rate includes breakfast. The hotel is located right across the street from the White House and this is the hotel where Barrack Obama stayed before moving into the White House. The Hotel is beautiful and the rooms, while a little small, are well- equipped with wonderful beds and bathrooms. The breakfast is very well done, the bar is nice and the service is everything you would expect from a five star hotel. The staff is really set up to serve their customers. I would highly recommend this hotel for a high end family stay.

Room Tip: I believe all of the rooms are good, but, if you want a White house view, you should ask.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank donjskiba
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear donjskiba,

Delighted, that you and your family enjoyed our Discover D.C. package during your recent stay at The Hay-Adams. There is so much to see and do in Washington, D.C., and this package is designed to make touring the city easy and fun for families. I will certainly pass your compliments on to our entire team. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Hay-Adams in the near future!

Stamford
Reviewed 10 April 2014

From the minute my girlfriend and I arrived until the minute we pulled away, our experience at the Hay-Adams was delightful. The staff were warm, efficient, and knowledgeable. The room overlooking the White House was spectacular. The nicely-named Off the Record Bar was the perfect place for drinks, and the restaurant superb for both dinner and breakfast.

Very highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark M
Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your positive review of The Hay-Adams. It is always our goal to make guests feel right at home from the moment they walk through the door until, sadly, they must leave us until the next time. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Columbia, SC
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Hay-Adams does not disappoint and lives up to its motto of not overlooking anything except the White House. We were there for a wedding and the staff took care of every detail - from taking care of some last minute laundry/dry cleaning to making sure we had fresh ice at all hours of the night. Our room overlooked St. John's Church and the accommodations were fantastic. Very comfortable, plenty of room, and much quieter than we expected due to the location. While it is a bit expensive, it is worth it not only due to the location but the staff makes you feel like you are their only guest. We will definitely return on our next visit to DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking a White House - unbelievable view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank DLColumbia
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear DLColumbia,

Thank you for your glowing review of The Hay-Adams. I am pleased that you had such a wonderful experience during your stay and I will be sure to let the team know that you felt well taken care of. We look forward to having you back to The Hay-Adams in the near future!

san francisco, ca
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great hotel. Directly across from White House. Walking distance to most attractions. Excellent service especially the concierge. Rooms were lovely. Restaurant excellent but pricey. Overall wonderful service. We will definitely return!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple