“Nothing to write home about”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great location but if your window faces an office block then what's the point. We booked in for 5 nights and were very disappointed to discover we had no view what so ever. When we complained the staff were quite unsympathetic. I would suggest that you bring along a set of draws or a wardrobe as the storage space is ridiculously inadequate. There are far better choices of hotels at less cost.

Room Tip: make sure you know what you are getting
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank JohnP1649HX
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear JohnP1649HX,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Hay-Adams. I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At The Hay-Adams, we continuously strive to meet your needs; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and we will use your constructive critique to communicate more effectively.

VP/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary in Washington, D.C. Ultimately, I chose to stay at The Hay-Adams because it was ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. In honor of our anniversary, the hotel upgraded our guestroom to one with a perfect view of St. John's church. Both Jesus at the front desk (thanks for the complimentary chilled Prosecco!) and Concierge Francesca were friendly and helpful. We ate dinner at Off the Record and enjoyed both the ambiance and the food. Overall, everything was perfect. Thanks to all for a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle D
Dear Michelle,

I am pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful 20th anniversary celebration at The Hay-Adams. Thank you for your positive feedback and I will share your input with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. It is wonderful feedback from guests like you that elevates our hotel and makes our job here so enjoyable and worthwhile.

Thank you, again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Boulder, CO
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We've stayed at The Hay-Adams twice. It is wonderful in many ways. The rooms -- especially the suites -- are gorgeous and stylish. The service is impeccable. The breakfast dining and service in the Lafayette is delicious and personable. The Off the Record bar and lounge downstairs is fun and interesting. The location is fantastic, especially being directly across the park from the White House.

Room Tip: They're expensive, but the two room suites are very spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Herf_Avi
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Herf_Avi,

Delighted in hearing that you enjoyed your stay at The Hay-Adams recently and very much appreciate your positive feedback. I will share your input with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. It is wonderful feedback from guests like you that elevates our hotel and makes our job here so enjoyable and worthwhile.
Thank you, again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Seattle
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hay Adams is a beautiful hotel. Well situated near the White House. Easy walk to several major sights. The rooms are well maintained and clean. No dirty grout work in the bathrooms or dusty drapes. The colors are soft and welcoming. Suite 312 is a very large corner suite - living (seats 8), dining table for 8, bathroom with shower and a small foyer. It should be reserved with either room 310 or 314. 314 faces 16th Street NW and the front entrance. 310 faces the park and H Street. You might be able to see the White House in the winter. These rooms are on the 3rd floor so the view isn't as good but it is nonetheless a very comfortable suite/room. The bathrooms are smaller in this hotel but the rooms are larger than standard rooms. The service is wonderful. Quick check in and check out. We forgot to reserve a cab for a very early morning flight and could not find one. One of the front desk personnel ran down the street to flag one down for us without us making a request. Room service is very good. Portions are reasonable and so are the prices. Food arrived within 30 minutes even on a busy evening (a wedding reception at the hotel was taking place). And without mistakes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank hpmarge
Dear hpmarge,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at The Hay-Adams! I am pleased to hear that you were able to experience one of our suites; they are great for anyone requiring some extra space. Providing the highest level of guest service is our number one priority, and I will certainly pass your compliments on to our Front Office and Room Service teams. It will be our pleasure to have you stay with us again during your next trip to Washington, D.C.!

NORTH CAROLINA
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife & her sister share the same birthday 5 years apart. We met at the HayAdams with our spouses, the sisters brother & spouse & a couple very close to the family. Great place for a reunion! Take the time to read the other reviews( especially by Michelle L) ! The food, service, staff all outstanding-made us all feel like royalty. Can't think of one negative.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank TROUBLESHEP
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear TROUBLESHEP,

I am so happy to hear that you and your family were able to have such a wonderful reunion at The Hay-Adams recently! You picked a great place to celebrate your wife and sister-in-law’s birthdays, and I will certainly pass your compliments on to the team at Lafayette restaurant. Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you all back to The Hay-Adams again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I had just a few days off and needed to see my favorite aunt in Silver Springs Md. We had been in Washington D.C. the prior year but had precious little time to tour the city, we decided to kill two birds with one stone, and do both. On recommendation of a friend who is in the hotel industry, we stayed at the Hay-Adams. Very impressive. If service is important to you be prepared to be impressed. Everyone we came in contact with was very helpful, cordial and accommodating. I would like to say "they went out of there way" for us, but on reflection, it was "there way". The hotel is facing the White House and in walking distance to great restaurants and shopping.
The garden view room was comfortable and beautifully appointed. On our next visit however, I will reserve the next level room . We had breakfast in the Lafayette dining room which is elegant.
Service was impeccable, crisp and efficient. The preparation and execution delightful.
For me the test of a truly good experience is when you smile as you pay the bill on check out. I'm still smiling.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jay P
Dear Jay P,

We are appreciative of your wonderful feedback regarding your stay at The Hay-Adams with your wife. Nothing makes us happier than to hear that a guest felt welcomed and well taken care of throughout his or her stay. I will certainly share you compliments with the entire team. We hope to put another smile on your face the next time you are in Washington D.C.!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Had to be in Washington for appointments -- wasn't sure where to stay. Found a good deal on a room in this venerable hotel. So glad I did. Had come in on a red eye, so when I hit the bed for a quick nap prior to a reception, I fell right to sleep and fortunately had left wake up call. Went out for the evening, came back and the bed was perfectly turned. A great night's sleep. Then a quick breakfast with the mighty -- recognized some political heavyweights; left my luggage with the bell captain; grabbed the first of several cabs to make my way around; then a quick walk back and my nephew waited in the tiny drop-off area while I retrieved my bags from the bellman who greeted me by name... Wonderful. Next time, I'll make sure to have time to walk around the White House.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JWP8
Dear JWP8,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at The Hay-Adams, which I will share with all. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hay-Adams in the near future (and I hope next time you have a chance to walk by the White House!).