“Dinner on the 9th floor was awesome!”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #1 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
“Dinner on the 9th floor was awesome!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Had a private business dinner on the 9th floor over looking the white house. Food was 5 star and waiter staff was top shelf. The 360 degree views of Washington D.C. are breathtaking.

Cant recommend anything to improve the menu, staff and location.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank kmcmuffin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 May 2014

On a recent trip to Washington DC, I was fortunate enough to stay at The Hay Adams. All that I can say is “WOW”! The location is as good as you can get - central to all of the best neighborhoods of DC and the views are to die for! The design of the hotel is timeless and it is so well-maintained that everything from the carpets, to the elevators, to the furniture still feels brand new.

My room was beautifully appointed with a very comfortable bed and linens that were so soft and smooth! The bathroom was furnished with beautiful marble and polished brass fixtures. The water pressure was also great.

Housekeeping does a wonderful job at this hotel. When I came back from dinner, the room had been turned down with real care. They even took the time to re-fold all of the clothes that I left out when I was getting dressed earlier in the day. The slippers that were put on the bedside were the most plush hotel slippers that I have ever put on my feet.

I’ve raved about how beautiful the hotel is, but where it really stands out from the other great hotels in DC (and I’ve stayed in most of them) is with its employees. I never encountered one employee of the hotel who wasn’t smiling. You can tell that they really love what they do and that they are truly hospitality professionals. Everyone was so helpful and incredibly pleasant that I really did not want to leave! Thank you to the hotel’s management team for creating a TRUE luxury experience and for making my visit so exceptional.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank JMOD319
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hay-Adams for four nights and we absolutely loved the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The sheets, linens, and comforters are simply delightful. I have a very bad neck and back which often prevents me from getting a good nights sleep. Not in this bed at the Hay-Adams! What a restful four nights. My pillow was so comfortable I half jokingly inquired at the front desk about purchasing one. To my surprise I was immediately referred to a wonderful lady in housekeeping who advised me that the pillows and pillow cases were actually custom made for the Hay-Adams; however, if I wished she would arrange for me to purchase a new pillow and two custom cases from the hotel and have them shipped to my home in Florida the next day ! Thinking for sure the cost of the pillow and custom cases would be prohibitive I was shocked to learn the price was less than I have previously paid for fine department store pillows. Needless to say this is just one example of the excellent service and personal attention you will receive at the Hay-Adams. In addition, the bath soaps, lotions, slippers, and bath towels provided are all of excellent quality. My one and only complaint was that there was no coffee maker provided in the room although there was a mini bar. ?? There is an Expresso maker set up in the business center downstairs with a number of flavor selections provided for free. However it is a bit of a nuisance to have to run down there in your slippers each morning for your first jolt of morning coffee! Other than that, five+ stars for the cozy Hay-Adams.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing either street for a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ginbudjim
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Ginbudjim,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at your “home away from home” here at The Hay-Adams, and thank you for your wonderful constructive feedback! We look forward to having you and your wife stay with us again soon!

Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Hay Adams is a wonderful hotel and I highly recommend it. The location is excellent, across Lafayette Square Park from the White House. The service is excellent, the Sunday Brunch is a highlight for me when I am in town, and the lounge has a cozy, intimate feel. The rooms are beautifully appointed and this is always my first choice when I am in DC.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Deweyb780
Dear Deweyb780,

Delighted in the knowledge that you had another wonderful visit at The Hay-Adams. I will pass your compliments onto our entire team at Lafayette.

Warm Regards,

Minneapolis
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel is very well run and appointed, but pricey. Staff are exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Rooms are generously sized and very comfortable with posh amenities. Located right in the middle of the action with the White House just across the street. There is a very good Indian restaurant around the corner (the Bombay Club).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank winwolf56
Dear winwolf56,

Thanks for your positive feedback and I am happy that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Hay-Adams and felt so welcomed. We hope to see you back again soon!

Northbrook,
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a grand, majestic old hotel that is fully updated. There is a tricky balance to preserving the elegance of an older hotel while still making the rooms and the common areas clean, bright and replete with some of the more modern conveniences. At the Hay-Adams, they've pretty much nailed it. There are some things they can't quite help (without gutting the place and starting from scratch) -- for instance, the bath in my room was a bit cramped. But not overly so, and it was beautifully finished. My room was on the back so there was no view to speak of, but view is not that important to me and I'm sure you could reserve a room with a view if you like.

The service was over the top, top notch and the location is unbeatable. I would heartily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Since the hotel is not tall (maybe 5 stories) and has taller buildings on two sides, if you're i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank David O
Dear David O.,

Happy to hear that you had a great stay with us at The Hay-Adams. We are very proud of our ability to showcase our history while still providing our guests with the all the amenities of modern comforts. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Houston
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel!! From the moment we entered the lobby, which is beautiful, until the day we left, we felt like we were in the lap of luxury!! Our room was beautifully decorated in subdued colors that worked wonderfully together. The turndown service was one of the best I have ever seen. The dining room is decorated perfectly. Whoever did the interior design for The Hay-Adams did a spectacular job!! The service was impeccable. And yes, it is expensive,(but DC is expensive) but after having stayed there it was worth it - and plus the location is perfect!!
Loved this hotel!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MariaVG
Dear MariaVG,

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Hay-Adams. We are very proud of our beautiful and historic hotel as well as our great team that consistently strives to exceed guests’ expectations. Thank you for your positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!