“Feel at home close to the White House”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed two times in the Hay Adams and would do it again. It is a classical Grand Hotel at a perfect location - in one minute at the White House. It offers classical elegance and charme. The service is excellent, the concierge welcomed me in German with my name - she obviously had studied the guest list. In the room, a White House made of white chocolate awaits you. When arriving from overseas, it is a place to feel home immediately and recreate. The room interior is sometimes a bit old-fashioned, but works well. Don´t expect an Asian-style high tech hotel, it is classical America in its best sense.

Room Tip: Don´t book the smallest room category, those rooms are small. I had once a suite at the corner, whic...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Maximilian K
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Maximilian K.,

Pleased to hear that we could welcome you back for another wonderful stay at The Hay-Adams! Franziska always strives to provide personalized service to every guest, and I will thank her for yet another job well done. We look forward to welcoming you back to your “home away from home” again soon!

VP/General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at the Hay Adams for 3 nights - the location is ideal, and the hotel was exceptional. It struck the perfect balance of luxury and comfort while not being stuffy. The staff was wonderful in every way. We will definitely be staying there for future visits to DC.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 684jennyp
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Had a private business dinner on the 9th floor over looking the white house. Food was 5 star and waiter staff was top shelf. The 360 degree views of Washington D.C. are breathtaking.

Cant recommend anything to improve the menu, staff and location.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank kmcmuffin
Reviewed 19 May 2014

On a recent trip to Washington DC, I was fortunate enough to stay at The Hay Adams. All that I can say is “WOW”! The location is as good as you can get - central to all of the best neighborhoods of DC and the views are to die for! The design of the hotel is timeless and it is so well-maintained that everything from the carpets, to the elevators, to the furniture still feels brand new.

My room was beautifully appointed with a very comfortable bed and linens that were so soft and smooth! The bathroom was furnished with beautiful marble and polished brass fixtures. The water pressure was also great.

Housekeeping does a wonderful job at this hotel. When I came back from dinner, the room had been turned down with real care. They even took the time to re-fold all of the clothes that I left out when I was getting dressed earlier in the day. The slippers that were put on the bedside were the most plush hotel slippers that I have ever put on my feet.

I’ve raved about how beautiful the hotel is, but where it really stands out from the other great hotels in DC (and I’ve stayed in most of them) is with its employees. I never encountered one employee of the hotel who wasn’t smiling. You can tell that they really love what they do and that they are truly hospitality professionals. Everyone was so helpful and incredibly pleasant that I really did not want to leave! Thank you to the hotel’s management team for creating a TRUE luxury experience and for making my visit so exceptional.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank JMOD319
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hay-Adams for four nights and we absolutely loved the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The sheets, linens, and comforters are simply delightful. I have a very bad neck and back which often prevents me from getting a good nights sleep. Not in this bed at the Hay-Adams! What a restful four nights. My pillow was so comfortable I half jokingly inquired at the front desk about purchasing one. To my surprise I was immediately referred to a wonderful lady in housekeeping who advised me that the pillows and pillow cases were actually custom made for the Hay-Adams; however, if I wished she would arrange for me to purchase a new pillow and two custom cases from the hotel and have them shipped to my home in Florida the next day ! Thinking for sure the cost of the pillow and custom cases would be prohibitive I was shocked to learn the price was less than I have previously paid for fine department store pillows. Needless to say this is just one example of the excellent service and personal attention you will receive at the Hay-Adams. In addition, the bath soaps, lotions, slippers, and bath towels provided are all of excellent quality. My one and only complaint was that there was no coffee maker provided in the room although there was a mini bar. ?? There is an Expresso maker set up in the business center downstairs with a number of flavor selections provided for free. However it is a bit of a nuisance to have to run down there in your slippers each morning for your first jolt of morning coffee! Other than that, five+ stars for the cozy Hay-Adams.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing either street for a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ginbudjim

Dear Ginbudjim,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at your “home away from home” here at The Hay-Adams, and thank you for your wonderful constructive feedback! We look forward to having you and your wife stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Hay Adams is a wonderful hotel and I highly recommend it. The location is excellent, across Lafayette Square Park from the White House. The service is excellent, the Sunday Brunch is a highlight for me when I am in town, and the lounge has a cozy, intimate feel. The rooms are beautifully appointed and this is always my first choice when I am in DC.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Deweyb780

Dear Deweyb780,

Delighted in the knowledge that you had another wonderful visit at The Hay-Adams. I will pass your compliments onto our entire team at Lafayette.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel is very well run and appointed, but pricey. Staff are exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Rooms are generously sized and very comfortable with posh amenities. Located right in the middle of the action with the White House just across the street. There is a very good Indian restaurant around the corner (the Bombay Club).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank winwolf56

Dear winwolf56,

Thanks for your positive feedback and I am happy that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Hay-Adams and felt so welcomed. We hope to see you back again soon!