“Elegant”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed five nights at the Hay-Adams and came away very impressed. We were in the District for a wedding and what an absolutely gorgeous venue. The property directly overlooks the White House. At night with the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial lit up in the background the view is stunning. This is an older property, with all the modern conveniences. The staff is extremely professional and was most attentive to our needs. It was nice to be greeted every time we left the hotel and welcomed back on our return. Our room was comfortable and quiet. For those so inclined the "Off the Record" bar in the basement is a happening place. It's a hike to the various Smithsonian museums, but doable. Convenient to the Metro and dozens of great restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Robert T
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Robert,

Very pleased to hear that you had such a memorable stay with us recently, and that you enjoyed the wedding you attended on our rooftop! Thank you for your kind and positive feedback. We look forward to serving you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Hay-Adams

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Enjoyed the service and the spot across from the White House is very convenient. The staff is very helpful as well. The hotel is older (and haunted) and so the technology is not the most up to date. There is a bit of wear showing but its a very charming and lovely place. I would not quite term it one of the top 3 in DC personally for the price.

Room Tip: Try the bar downstairs - very nice bartenders and very tasty snacks and meals. A nice spot.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bko61163
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed two times in the Hay Adams and would do it again. It is a classical Grand Hotel at a perfect location - in one minute at the White House. It offers classical elegance and charme. The service is excellent, the concierge welcomed me in German with my name - she obviously had studied the guest list. In the room, a White House made of white chocolate awaits you. When arriving from overseas, it is a place to feel home immediately and recreate. The room interior is sometimes a bit old-fashioned, but works well. Don´t expect an Asian-style high tech hotel, it is classical America in its best sense.

Room Tip: Don´t book the smallest room category, those rooms are small. I had once a suite at the corner, whic...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Maximilian K
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Maximilian K.,

Pleased to hear that we could welcome you back for another wonderful stay at The Hay-Adams! Franziska always strives to provide personalized service to every guest, and I will thank her for yet another job well done. We look forward to welcoming you back to your “home away from home” again soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at the Hay Adams for 3 nights - the location is ideal, and the hotel was exceptional. It struck the perfect balance of luxury and comfort while not being stuffy. The staff was wonderful in every way. We will definitely be staying there for future visits to DC.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 684jennyp
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Had a private business dinner on the 9th floor over looking the white house. Food was 5 star and waiter staff was top shelf. The 360 degree views of Washington D.C. are breathtaking.

Cant recommend anything to improve the menu, staff and location.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank kmcmuffin
Reviewed 19 May 2014

On a recent trip to Washington DC, I was fortunate enough to stay at The Hay Adams. All that I can say is “WOW”! The location is as good as you can get - central to all of the best neighborhoods of DC and the views are to die for! The design of the hotel is timeless and it is so well-maintained that everything from the carpets, to the elevators, to the furniture still feels brand new.

My room was beautifully appointed with a very comfortable bed and linens that were so soft and smooth! The bathroom was furnished with beautiful marble and polished brass fixtures. The water pressure was also great.

Housekeeping does a wonderful job at this hotel. When I came back from dinner, the room had been turned down with real care. They even took the time to re-fold all of the clothes that I left out when I was getting dressed earlier in the day. The slippers that were put on the bedside were the most plush hotel slippers that I have ever put on my feet.

I’ve raved about how beautiful the hotel is, but where it really stands out from the other great hotels in DC (and I’ve stayed in most of them) is with its employees. I never encountered one employee of the hotel who wasn’t smiling. You can tell that they really love what they do and that they are truly hospitality professionals. Everyone was so helpful and incredibly pleasant that I really did not want to leave! Thank you to the hotel’s management team for creating a TRUE luxury experience and for making my visit so exceptional.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank JMOD319
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hay-Adams for four nights and we absolutely loved the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The sheets, linens, and comforters are simply delightful. I have a very bad neck and back which often prevents me from getting a good nights sleep. Not in this bed at the Hay-Adams! What a restful four nights. My pillow was so comfortable I half jokingly inquired at the front desk about purchasing one. To my surprise I was immediately referred to a wonderful lady in housekeeping who advised me that the pillows and pillow cases were actually custom made for the Hay-Adams; however, if I wished she would arrange for me to purchase a new pillow and two custom cases from the hotel and have them shipped to my home in Florida the next day ! Thinking for sure the cost of the pillow and custom cases would be prohibitive I was shocked to learn the price was less than I have previously paid for fine department store pillows. Needless to say this is just one example of the excellent service and personal attention you will receive at the Hay-Adams. In addition, the bath soaps, lotions, slippers, and bath towels provided are all of excellent quality. My one and only complaint was that there was no coffee maker provided in the room although there was a mini bar. ?? There is an Expresso maker set up in the business center downstairs with a number of flavor selections provided for free. However it is a bit of a nuisance to have to run down there in your slippers each morning for your first jolt of morning coffee! Other than that, five+ stars for the cozy Hay-Adams.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing either street for a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ginbudjim

Dear Ginbudjim,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at your “home away from home” here at The Hay-Adams, and thank you for your wonderful constructive feedback! We look forward to having you and your wife stay with us again soon!