“Hay-Adams Breakfast - Just Charming” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #2 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Phoenix, AZ
“Hay-Adams Breakfast - Just Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

It appears that the Hay-Adams Restaurant does not have a separate listing from the hotel on TA, and this review is for Breakfast at the Hay-Adams Restaurant.

While we have stayed at the Hay-Adams Hotel in the past, we were located up the street, due to meeting venues. However, I wanted to treat my wife to breakfast, and could not think of a better restaurant. Though our hotel provided a continental breakfast, or breakfast buffet with our room, at our loyalty level, we walked down to the Hay-Adams instead.

First, the restaurant is as elegant as the hotel, and the furnishings are lovely - one feels that they have stepped back in time, to another place. We were a bit late in the breakfast serving, and the dining room was mostly empty. We were greeted by a host, who inquired if we were hotel guests. When I acknowledged that we were not, his next question puzzled me, "Do you have reservations?" As there were only 4 other diners in both of the rooms, I did not quite understand this. My first thought was that maybe it was because I did not have on a tie, but only my blazer and an open-collared dress shirt. I am still not sure about that question, but it was the only oddity in the entire experience.

Once seated, we our servers were very quick and highly efficient, though never intrusive. Coffees were offered up, and menus presented.

As I had dined there for breakfast several times, I knew what I wanted, but my wife needed a few extra minutes, as she always seems to have very early AM meetings, so grabs coffee and something to eat in a cab or limo. She had never had the pleasure of dining at the Hay-Adams, even when we have stayed there.

She settled on the Two Farm Fresh Eggs w/ Applewood Smoked Bacon, Grits and Biscuits, while I went with the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes w/ Ham. While their version falls just behind the San Francisco Four Seasons' (Seasons Restaurant) Lemon Ricotta Griddle Cakes, they ARE very close, and it is almost impossible to top the Hay-Adams Restaurant's dining room for an elegant breakfast.

Both the Ham and the Bacon were perfectly done, and the Grits were wonderfully creamy. The Biscuits were light, flaky and tasty, reminding me of the ones that we used to get at Blackberry Farm (Walland, TN), before they cut way back on the lard.

With a couple glasses of Champagne, the coffee and an orange juice, the tab was up there for breakfast, but well worth every $.

While the service is very efficient (and wonderfully friendly), I would recommend the Hay-Adams Restaurant for a breakfast, when one has the time to savor every bite, and the art/furniture in the dining room - take your time, and just enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Bill_Hunt_AZ
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Bill_Hunt_AZ,

What a fantastic review of your dining experience at Lafayette, and I am pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the food and the service (next time you’re here, we will make sure we exceed your expectations for the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes!). It is great that you were able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast together, and we look forward to serving both of you again soon!

Hans Bruland
VP/General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at the Hay-Adams for the weekend to attend a performance at the Kennedy Center. From arrival to departure, special. Wonderfully elegant European feel. Having made our room reservation through the Amex Plat Fine Hotels and Resorts, we were upgraded to a St. John's Church view room upon arrival...nice touch along with other perks you get (breakfast for two and $100 food/beverage credit). Reminded me of our stay at The Savoy in London last summer (almost). Classy and proximate to everything worth seeing. Lunch and breakfast at The Lafayette Room...spectacular. Food, service, ambiance...worth the price to treat yourself every now and then. Wish we could have stayed longer. Ask for a persona tour of the rooftop terrace to get a perfect view of the White House.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank veegeenj
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

First time in Washington, D.C. to celebrate a friends birthday. We stayed in room 806 and could not believe our eyes when we walked in and saw the view overlooking the White House. The staff was amazing and the beds were very comfortable. Older classic historical clean 5 star hotel. Highly recommend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Heidi K
toronto, ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at The Hay Adams over the Mothers day weekend. It was fabulous. Terrific staff. Wonderful ambiance. The only negative was the tiny claustrophobic bathroom. One single hook for 2 guests. But that's common in most old hotels. The view was a brick wall. Oh well. We did not spend much time in our room. Too much to do in DC!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hkfromerin
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Hay-Adams is a absolutely beautiful place. Feels very luxurious and location is great. Their breakfast room is spectacular and food is delicious. Unfortunately our room was on a low floor with windows against office building with delivery "alley". Starting way before 5AM the trucks would pull in and idle as they would unload. One after another one. Very annoying as the closed windows didn't provide any sound barrier.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is facing street not alley.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ivy148
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Ivy148,

Thank you for your positive as well as candid comments regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that you were disturbed by the trucks in our delivery alley early in the A.M. There is absolutely no excuse, considering that we have a strict policy with all vendors with regards to early access. You have my personal assurance that I will review the entire delivery schedule with all concerned to prevent a re-occurrence. It is my hope that this one incident has not marred your impression of the hotel permanently, and I would be delighted to look after your room assignment on your next return.

Hans Bruland
VP/General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed for one night in early June at the Hay-Adams. The room I was given was quite small so I was disappointed. The bathroom was also small and didn't have a stall shower. The shower was excellent but the towels were surprisingly scratchy and were not the large plush towels I expect from similar upscale hotels. The location so close to the White House is fabulous. The service was excellent and the concierges were quite helpful and knowledgeable. The Business Center didn't charge a fee for the computer and provided free coffee drinks and bottled water.
Overall it was a good but not great value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank John I
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Hay Adams, is truly a beautiful hotel in Washington. With a great location, just across the street from the White House, getting around on foot is easy, as the sites are close and easily accessible. The whole hotel was decorated with an eye for quality and detail, and classic designs. Our room was lovely, cream and marble, with some dark wood accents and elegant furnishings. The service was great and the breakfast was exceptional -- I still have not had a better french toast, than I did at the Hay Adams. The next time we return to Washington, we will definitely be staying here, over any other luxury hotel in the city (if it’s good enough for the Obama’s, it’s good enough for us!)

Room Tip: Get a view of the White House!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family