“Wonderful Old World Hotel--BY FAR THE BEST IN DC”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #1 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Stayed here over the Fourth of July with my family. This hotel is like the luxury hotels that I remember when I was very young. Everything is extremely professional. The staff all know the guest names--nothing is overlooked. I travel a lot on business and pleasure and its a rarity to encounter service of this quality in the United States. Other than the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco (my favorite city hotel in the US), nothing else comes to mind.

Another attribute that struck me was how good the food was. I know the Obamas love good food and chose this as their hotel while awaiting their White House move. This is some of the best hotel food I have had (again the Ritz Carlton San Francisco comes to mind). All ingredients are fresh and local and expertly prepared by the chef. We stayed for the Fourth of July and the hotel hosted an enormous party with entertainment for children--again really excellent food and so much of it.

The location also simply coudn't be better for a visit to DC. Its right across the street from the White House--need one say more?

The property is beautiful and historic. The hotel is the product of merging two old DC homes (MR. Hayes house was merged with Mr. Adam's house). It is maintained perfectly and is kept meticulously clean. However, keep in mind that it is old, so the rooms while beautiful are NOT sound proof. Little sounds do travel here (as they do in old historic houses). If you are a very sensitive sleeper, this hotel may not be the best choice. However, by opting to go elsewhere, you will miss a wonderful, historic, oldworld experience.

I have traveled to DC a lot in the past few years and stayed at a lot of its hotels (3 of the Ritz Carltons, the Fairmont, The Mandarin Oriental, The Mayfair, The Willard, etc). This is by my favorite hotel in DC. It carries my highest recomendation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank lovetravel1452
Write a ReviewReviews (1,345)

Reviewed 6 July 2009

Last week my husband and I stayed at Hay-Adams and we are already looking forward to our next visit! As people who travel frequently, we have never been so impressed by the hospitality, cleanliness, and comfort of Hay-Adams. The hotel radiates the classic historic quality of Washington, DC with a modern twist with updated amenities. I highly recommend staying at the Hay-Adams if you are in the Washington DC area!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlottep676
Reviewed 25 June 2009

The staff’s attention to detail is what captured my attention at the Hay-Adams. Arriving late after flight delays, my check-in was efficient, painless, and topped off with a bottle of chilled water as I was shown to my room. My room was plush and the views were spectacular. Sun-lit breakfasts in the Lafayette Room were a wonderful start to my mornings. The concierge was extremely helpful in suggesting places to sightsee, arranging tickets to Congress during my stay in DC, and recommending some excellent restaurants as well! The staff was professional and courteous, accommodating to every need. It was an amazing luxury hotel that I would recommend with confidence to anyone going to Washington DC.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank aZnToURisT
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed at the HA earlier this year and loved it. We were in a White House view room and it was fantastic. The location is second to none.

It's an old style traditional hotel. Lovely decor and rooms. Great breakfast (albeit expensive like most of DC hotels) and lots of nice little touches as others has said.

We completely disagree with reviewers who say the staff are snooty. We did not find that at all. The concierge was especially good. He could not have helped us more. Check in was great too.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank georgewalker
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We chose to stay at this hotel because of the location and we got much more! We had a great time!
The staff was wonderful. The man that checked us in was so friendly. They gave us a map and directions. They made us dinner reservations at cafe milano - great food! The staff was always very friendly! To agree with the other reviews the hotel is small and very intimate so when you are in the lobby all eyes are on you but that comes with a small, historic hotel with tons of charm.
Our room was small but clean and very pretty. The bed was great! We can't wait to stay there again.
When we were leaving it was so hot and the doorman ran out two bottles of water -very nice. We loved the whole experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crnewjersey
Reviewed 20 May 2009

We decided to treat ourselves to the Hay Adams Hotel based mostly on the location and the good reviews. However, our stay was a bit disappointing. For one thing, the hotel staff, while helpful, seemed a bit snobby (looking you up and down) and sometimes I had the feeling I was interrupting them by asking for help. I often had a difficult time locating the valet or other staff members and when I went to the front desk the staff seemed annoyed that I was asking them instead of the valet/doorman/bellman. I don't know if they were annoyed with me or at their own staff, but it was off-putting.

I was in DC on business and a few times I dressed up, but many times I was dressed casually. I felt out of place when I did so. One time I headed downstairs to grab some breakfast from a nearby bakery and the lobby was filled with men and women in dark suits at 6:30am just milling about and talking to each other while giving me nasty glances as I spilled out of the elevator wearing sweats.

We did dine twice at the hotel's restaurant (breakfast and dinner) and once at the bar beneath. The experience was good, with a very friendly staff. Prices were perhaps too high to justify, but my expectations (as they always are at hotel restaurants) were low and they exceeded them.

The worst part of the experience happened the first day. I went off to my conference for the day and my left my travel companion in the room, which was kind of a small, quirky and oddly shaped room in the back of the hotel but which had some charm. When I returned to the hotel that evening, she said that a work crew started jackhammering outside her window! In addition, the room overlooked at alley and the trash trucks made a horrendous racket in the wee hours of the morning! I brought it to management's attention and he explained the brick outside the hotel was being repointed and he could move us. When we asked how long that would continue to wasn't sure but thought it would be a few days. Given that, we asked to be moved. He actually showed us a few available rooms in a price range higher than what we paid, although none of them overlooked the White House. However, the one we chose did overlook St. John'sl. That was kind of nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for that privilege. It wasn't like overlooking St. Patrick's in NYC (at The Palace) was, as St. John's is a very small and rather non-descript church. The new room was quiet, but to our horror the people doing the brickwork started to creep over to the front of the hotel. By the last day of our stay they were making a loud racket on our side of the hotel. We felt lucky we were checking out or we would have had to move again!

Positives: EXCELLENT Italian toiletries, staff willing to try to make things right, great location across the street from the White House

Negatives: Far too many people who are not hotel guests filling the lobby, extremely high prices, inconsistent service (from example, the valet)

I laughed when I found out Obama stayed at this hotel prior to moving in to the White House. I'm sure the penthouse suites are extremely nice and have a wonderful view, so it was fit for the President. However, for a business traveler like me it was not a good value. The room I ended up staying in would have cost about $700 per night (if not for the hotel allowing me to pay my original rate of about $450 per night for the upgraded room) and I thought even $450 would have been too much for it. The hotel has very few amenities (e.g., no pool, no parking) and always felt stuffy and cramped. There are some other luxury hotels nearby I would likely consider first before staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank dvg_loves_cali
Reviewed 18 April 2009

Loved the "small-ness" of the hotel. Very elegant. Tiny lobby. Discreet service. Beautiful and historic. The concierge was VERY helpful and answering my questions and obtaining tickets for me.
Free wi-fi.
MOSTLY, right across the street from the White House (actually, from the La Fayette Park), which made the National Mall within walkin distance. LOVED the location.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family