“Great Hotel - s l o w internet”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #1 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“Great Hotel - s l o w internet”
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Terrific hotel. Great, fully equipped business center. The only downside is their very slow internet connection. If you will need to use the hotel to do online legal research or streaming, you will be frustrated. If you don't need a fast connection, the hotel is great.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2009

A beautiful hotel with old world elegance. This was one of the best hotels I've stayed in and cannot recommend it highly enough. We stayed in some nice hotels in New York on this trip but they were a bit too concerned with being 'cool' to make us feel special and welcome. The Hay Adams treated us like a luxury hotel should treat its guests.
The staff were excellent - friendly but very professional. Particularly impressed by the concierge who was extremely helpful and his recommendations for the private tour and the nice restaurant were faultless.
The location was superb, particularly if you want to feel part of the political landscape. Our room had a view of the White House which made my wife deleriously happy. The restaurant and bar were very appealing and the fact that our laundry arrived gift-wrapped showed how every little detail was handled with class.
While I don't consider it a cheap hotel, I've paid a lot more for far less impressive results. It's a special hotel and, in my opinion, worth the extra expense.
Thanks to them for the experience.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I stayed at the Hay Adams in early May. This is a classic small boutique hotel in a perfect location across from the White House. In a world of look-alike hotels, the Hay Adams has its own style that is very elegant. I loved the "Off the Record" bar in the lower level---very clubby bar filled with locals . I also went to the rooftop and glimpsed at the tented party space overlooking The White House---just a gorgeous spot. The tiny lobby was elegant too---funny, I noticed someone else said they felt underdressed in the lobby in anything but a dark suit--I felt the same way. Staff was very friendly and accommodating though.

The only thing I didn't love was the room. I booked a standard room, and I had one of the rooms on a lower floor facing the alley and another building just across the alley. There was very little natural light and due to the unattractive view I ended up keeping the curtains closed at all times and using lamps even during the day. The room also had a bit of an unusual, small bathroom. The garbage trucks in the alley were fairly noisy early in the morning. The room was nicely decorated so no issues there. I appreciated the free internet. I am sure my experience would have been different if I had a White House view room, but that is not what I experienced. Word to the wise---probably worth the money to upgrade to a preferred view. Still, I would give the hotel 4 stars overall---just don't feel I can give the room 5 stars based on the room I experienced.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank iowaguy
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We stayed at the Hay Adams in August 2009 for a wedding. This is a stunningly elegant hotel and the service was unbelievable from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. The hotel rooms are spacious and have a European glamour to them, but with modern bathrooms and amenities. Our view was of St. John's church and our room had large french doors that opened onto a juliet balcony overlooking the church -- stunning. The hotel is close to all of the museums and across the park from the White House and it is very easy to get around to all the sites on foot from the hotel. We loved the small touches (like complimentary umbrellas) and the friendly and efficient staff. We felt very privileged to stay in such a beautiful and historic hotel and hope to stay again on our next visit to DC.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Very close to White House area, lots of good restraurants in walking distance. Room was elagant, staff was very helpful. It also had a nice bar street level. Concierge was also very helpful.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
NYC
Reviewed 13 October 2009

A five star hotel across the street from the White House that deserves all 5 stars. This is a beautiful and charming hotel with excellent, attentive service and elegant, plush, comfortable rooms. We chose a White House view (upcharge), but since not visiting DC for many years it was well worth it. Seeing the White House as big as life from your room at various times of the day, sunrise, sunset, just wonderful- makes one proud to be an American! And you're right on the mall so you can literally walk right over to the White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol, Smithsonian, etc etc., the center of everything. Very pleased. Wanted to catch Obama in his bathrobe coming out to get the morning paper, but must have just missed him.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Charlottesville, Va
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The Hay Adams is one o the best hotels I ever stayed, I had a quick visit to DC with my wife, we arrived at the hotel around 4:00pm, right way we were greeted by a friendly door man, he escorted us to the reception were Franzciska checked us in, the hotel is gorgeous, Franzciska was very friendly. We were escorted to our suite by Jose, he was fantastic.
The Suite was amazing! the attention to detail is impressive, our view was amazing the white house was right out side of our window! Breakfast next morning was great, the food was great as well. The juice selection was amazing.
The best location to be in DC, all the museums and monuments are form a walking distance from the hotel.
I must say that Service was impeccable. Everyone from Management to Housekeeping does an amazing job.
We look forward for our next visit!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple