“A Wonderful DC Vacation”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Knoxville, TN
“A Wonderful DC Vacation”
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We decided to visit Washington D.C. for Spring Break and wanted to spend a few days near the center of town. Choosing the Hay Adams was a smart decision as it is immediately across from the White House and adjacent to Lafayette Park.

I do not believe that we have ever stayed at another hotel that put forth so much effort to make sure we would have a wonderful visit. A few weeks before our arrival, I was contacted by the Hay Adams to clarify if our infant was a boy or a girl (they wanted to make sure they used appropriate bedding for the crib!). They also contacted me beforehand to check about our estimated arrival time to make sure the room would be ready (they offered to have the room ready by noon when I mentioned I was not sure). In addition, the reservation process was smooth and efficient with no problems whatsoever. Any and all questions I had about our stay were quickly answered via phone or email.

Upon arriving in DC, we had to bring the car into the central area (not my favorite idea of fun). However, we quickly arrived at the Hay Adams and handed over the keys to the car knowing we would not see it again until we departed. Valet parking is really your only option and costs $35 a day. Not needing a car in DC is well worth the valet charge! The lobby is quite refined with elegant touches. Check-in was smooth, and we were taken up to our “Executive Studio” room which was everything we had hoped. It is one of the better sized rooms at the Hay Adams and includes a sofa bed as well as ample space for a crib. The entire room was classically decorated and nice touches throughout. There is a minibar linked to pressure sensors. So, we could not really use it to put our own items in it. The armoire also included a nice television and multiple drawers as well as a safe. The view from the room was an inner courtyard which made for very quiet nights. The bathroom was similarly well-appointed and included Etro toiletries from Italy. Not sure why, but upon noticing the Etro toiletries on their website before arrival, I did bring a few of their clothing items that I own to wear on the trip!

The front staff members including the concierge were absolutely wonderful. Their younger concierge, I believe his name is Mark Dubois, was the best concierge we have ever had anywhere. He was so helpful with restaurant suggestions, opening/closing times of the sites, ways to procure tickets to difficult attractions, point-to-point directions, as well as making our two children feel so welcome. Everyday, our daughter would strike up a conversation with him and feel so excited about what the day would have. Even the housekeeping staff members were outstanding. When we called down for assistance in preparing the sofa bed for our daughter, they came upstairs with a stuffed monkey for her to keep as a remembrance of the Hay Adams.

Obviously, the Hay Adams is well situated in DC. We basically walked to everything. Also, having the ability to slip out at night gave me the chance to show my daughter some of the sites of DC at night which is a great experience. I cannot think of even one thing I would change about our visit. From the Leonides chocolates in the evening turndown service to the ice cold fruit drink in the lobby awaiting our return every afternoon, our stay at the Hay Adams was simply flawless.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank dukektown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I am really writing about the restaurant, The Lafayette.

Service - 20 minutes to order something to drink
1 1/2 hours to receive our meal
both dinners were cold
hostess said "that is unusual" took the plates away, came back with fish heated, but veg and potatoes cold as before.

This is the second time for this very expensive dining room to mess up.
That's it for us!

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mmsanfca
Chicago
Reviewed 10 April 2010

If you plan on seeing the great cities of the world, and staying at great hotels while seeing those cities, the HAY ADAMS is the place to stay in DC. We had a couple of rooms overlooking Lafayette Park from a higher floor. Looking out the window and seeing the White House with the Washington Monument in the background gives a real sense of history to your visit.

NOTE: If you don';t have the view, make sure you make nice with a Concierge. Ask him to arrange a view to the roof. Rumor has it that this option wont be available much longer. You can see the White House Snipers checking you out as you emerge on the roof of the HAY.

The Staff is A+++ .. After a few days there, even the cleaning staff addresses you by name. The entire staff goes to great length to make children special as well. Make sure that the hotel knows your children's name when visiting.

The rooms are very tasteful and elegant. Comfortable furniture. The Bathroom is small, but very efficient in design. Could use a bit more counter space, but I really have to nit-pick there.

I rate this hotel as a "10" in 8 my ten categories. Excellent overall.

Areas not getting perfect 10's: I give it a 8 in sleep quality. I find the pillows to be too flat. No body to them at all. Minimum of two pillows needed, per person, even for kids.

Also ranking only an 8 is the restuarant. Did the Easter Brunch and was disappointed. While I appreciate fine cuisine, a family Easter brunch should have ample comfort food that kids and adults would enjoy. Foo-foo is fine, but the choice was very limited. Not looking for 5 different types of fish for Easter Brunch. If I was in DC for Easter, I would not do their brunch. The Restaurant gets extra points for service and sophistication but no much for a family breakfast.

The best part? - The Staff, especially the concierge. I had a couple of unique needs when I had a child come up sick while there. Mark & Eric were perhaps the two finest concierge' anywhere.

A Great Hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Insureguy
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 March 2010

the Hay-Adams was a wonderful relief to come home to after a long day sightseeing, the wonderful hot chocolate in the foyer, the great homemade biscuits, as well, at the reception desk, to give you a energy for our next adventure, the rooms we had as a family where beautifully appointed, the location allowed for easy access to alot of major tourist attractions.
the staff were friendly and inviting, we recieved informative advise on what to see and do, except when one of the attractions was not open during winter and I had taken a long taxi ride to visit a home outside the city to find it closed.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dmjatravellers
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My husband and I spent a weekend at the Hay Adams. We were able to get a very favorable weekend rate from the hotel. Infact they upgraded us when I mentioned it was my husband's birthday.
I cannot rave enough about the level of service--from the doorman to the front desk to the housekeeping staff. Everyone seemed sincerely interested in making sure our requests were accomodated and that we were enjoying our stay.
The location is amazing. The White House is just a block away and you can see if from the dining room, the front door and from some of the rooms! There are a number of good restuarants in the area. A metro is a few blocks away but the taxis are not expensive.
The room we had was called an executive suite. It had a very comfortable bed, along with a desk, couch and chair. The room was in excellent condition and extremely clean.
I would go back here the next time in Washington DC.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PatWisconsin
Brussels
Reviewed 23 February 2010

one if noy the best hotel I have visited in my 40 years of intense travelling: great personalized service, wonderful environment and cosy rooms. Nothing to complain about, The Lafayette Restaurant provides great food.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Wolfgang- Joach... W
Brisbane
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We chose this hotel because of its amazing position. This was our first visit to Washington DC and we wanted to be close to the action. You won't be disappointed. The hotel is basically next door to the White House. We were so impressed. We were so close we needed security clearance from the White House before we could be escorted to the roof to take some tourist photos... how special is that!
The city was buzzing in preparation for the first state dinner to welcome the Indian PM.
Not only is this hotel in a great location, it oozes old fashion charm and service so missing in other hotels. Our room, overlooking St John's Church "Church of the Presidents", was large and very comfortable.
We were also lucky enough to spend our first ever Thanksgiving Dinner in the hotel. Fleur, the Maitre d, and the hotel staff, really looked after us.
As for the city itself, the history, monuments and museums were so impressive. When we come back we will certainly stay at The Hay-Adams again. If it's good enough for the US President it's good enough for us.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple