“The highlight of our trip”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 7 August 2012

After spending a week in the big smoke of NYC, coming to The Jefferson DC was a complete breathe of fresh air. We were greeted with the insane heat of 38 degrees and and the friendliest staff we've come across any where in the world. Our room was incredible, two double beds - perfect for a mother and daughter on tour. Greeted with chocolate, cakes and a fruit platter on arrival and little token chockys every other day - nice little touches. Most amazing breakfasts, very extensive menu although majority were egg based, not so great for people with allergies - staff were extremely willing to chop and change food items around for me at absolutely no bother at all. Hotel is absolutely stunning in every way, very handy to all areas of DC, just a hop, skip and a jump to the white house, 20mins walk to Georgetown, The Washington Mall and the Smithsonians. If not so keen to walk then the metro station is a 5 minute walk away. I cannot stress how fantastic the staff are, everyone from the restaurant waiters to the receptionists and the concierge, make you take the time to talk to them because they are all such amazing people! Highly highly recommend the Jefferson, from 2 weeks between NYC and DC was definitely the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,170)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I thought the hotel was lovely. I arrived and my room was not ready. I decided to look at another room, because I was anxious to swim. My room was large and the bathroom had a large shower. This is an old building that has been redone in an elegant fashion. It was 102 degrees in DC when I landed. The temperature in the room was 63 degrees. Major kudos for this. Later I noticed that the air had turned off. A call to the front desk remedied this in an instant.

If you stay at the hotel, you can swim at the University Club across the street. The pool there was empty and I had a great swim. The pool is old, but if you love to swim, it was awesome to have access to a decent pool.

I did buy a breakfast package. I did not think that the breakfast was worth the add-on to the bill. The service was slow and the food was mediocre.

Check the minibar expiration dates...most were expired.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I decided upon this hotel after reading many positive trip advisor reviews. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. I was driving my Honda Civic and I was prepared to get a sub par reception from the doorman. However I was greeted as though I was driving a Bentley. The check in staff were courteous and efficient. Within mininutes, I was whisked away to my room. Upon opening the door, my jaw dropped. The king size bed, linens and pillows were a work of art. The smaller pillow had a portrait of the Jefferson Memorial. On the bed, I also found an envelope addressed to me. Inside was a personal invitation to the spa. Alongside this was a complimentary bag of spa products which bespoke of relaxing body treatments should I decide to indulge. The bathroom was lovely as well with a TV in the bathroom mirror. The shower is a walk in, glass enclosed marble delight. It is huge enough for 3-4 people. There was complimentary water throughout the room in beautiful glass bottles. I also enjoyed the welcome cookies that were left for me. As I looked out of the window, I could see the top of the Washington Memorial. Location, location, location!!!! The White House and National Monument are right down the street a few blocks away. I actually walked to these sites and back to the hotel. However this is not a challenge for the faint at heart. There is a lot of walking involved. After enjoying the day, the bed was a welcome sight. The pillows felt as though you were sleeping on clouds. Room service was awesome and always arrived before they said it would be ready. This is a beautiful hotel which embodies the legacy of Thomas Jefferson. Original documents by him line the walls of the lobby. I was told that the library housed books signed by famous people. I really enjoyed my stay at The Jefferson and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My fiancé and I stayed at the Jefferson in September 2011. As DC residents, this was a special "staycation" which turned into our proposal story. The hotel didn't miss a detail. The decor in the rooms is relaxing and elegant, the bathroom was large and the shower was a room in itself!

I made an appointment for a body scrub in the hotel's spa. At the time of our stay, the hotel's spa was "on demand" and from what I could tell not very well utilized. This made my spa experience amazing. I was the only guest at the spa and had a great treatment.

The library is a gorgeous space. The hotel staff was extremely attentive but nof overbearing. The bar in the hotel seemed rather popular. We plan to dine at the Plume for our first wedding anniversary. This hotel is far worth it's price tag. I prefer it to the Willard any day of the week!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 11 July 2012

this is one of washington's best. relatively small, intimate and with an excellent staff. the rooms are well appointed and quiet. everything works well. you cannot rate it a great value, since it is priced accurately to reflect its quality. this is certainly a hotel to consider if cost is not important or someone else is picking up the tab.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2012

A very warm welcome. Staff were very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Cleanliness throughout was a feature - especially the bathrooms which were very large and very well equipped. Super restaurant where the degustation menu was stunning and the matching wines superb. Our room was extremely quiet and the bed exceedingly comfortable. A taxi was required to reach the main tourist 'attractions'

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My wife and I along with our two daughters just finished a 3 night stay at the Jefferson. We had a wonderful stay. We were able to get two rooms with a connecting door which is very helpful when traveling with two relatively young children. The rooms were large and well decorated. The beds were extremely comfortable. Our room service breakfasts were excellent and appeared relatively promptly.

The location was very good, only 4 blocks from the White House. The gym was was mediocre but the Hotel was able to get us access to the University Club nearby which was more than adequate. The Bar at the Hotel, the Quill, is definitely worth a visit as well.

Finally, everyone working at The Jefferson was extremely helpful and pleasant. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family