“Superb”

Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Portland, Maine
“Superb”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I cannot give a higher endorsement for service and elegance. The facility is perfect and the staff simply outstanding. I brought my finance with me for a working weekend to squeeze a little celebration of our engagement and it was perfect. The concierge was exceptionally helpful for requests. A standout moment was when we had a drink before heading out to dinner. The engaging young lady in the bar discovered we were recently engaged, offered to call ahead to the restaurant to which we were heading, and when we arrived there was a special, celebratory menu printed for us. When we returned, a bottle of champagne in the room. Loved it.

Room Tip: Entry level rooms are a bit cramped, but the bathroom is spacious.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ande S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
singapore
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed for 3 nights over Thanksgiving 2013, with our 7 year old son. We really liked this hotel.

We tried room service for breakfast, Plume Restaurant and also the more casual bar/restaurant and all were really good. The room felt luxurious, though a little tight with an extra roll-away bed for our son taking up a lot of the spare space (sometimes we had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. We also had a view of a brick wall. The ambience of the hotel and great staff made up for the annoyances though. The beds are super comfortable and the concierge organised a couple of lovely restaurants for us.

I really liked this hotel, and we liked the location, and would recommend for couples especially. If staying with kids, maybe ensure you get a larger room.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear jones2,
I appreciate you positive feedback about your recent stay at The Jefferson. I was happy to read that you and your family felt welcomed and well taken care of while you were in DC, and that you enjoyed all of your dining experiences while on property. I do apologize for the size of the room and the view; as a hotel in the middle of the city, our views are sometimes blocked by other office buildings in the area.

I do hope that should you and your family find yourselves in DC again we can welcome you back!

Dbueno@jeffersondc.com
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you are looking for a beautiful hotel to stay in with amazing staff then I would recommend The Jefferson. From the moment you walk into the hotel till the day you check out everything was wonderful. We got a suite and got an amazing deal as they were having a spacial on their suites. The room was very spacious and the two full bathrooms were a pleasant surprise. The room was immaculate upon entry and the twice day housekeeping ensured it stayed that way throughout the week long trip while we were there. We found ourself at the Quill bar for drinks a few nights and lunch - the service and food were both amazing! The staff really goes out of their way to ensure the hotel guests have everything they need and the concierge (Sargent?) and one of the bell man were just so friendly and helpful. I highly recommend staying here and plan to every time I am in DC.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. Great service, great people, wonderful room. Room service/hotel restaurant is expensive but worth every bite. Car service is available for close trips. The concierge gave great recommendations for close by activities and restaurants. Doormen are always helpful, friendly and available.

Room Tip: I had the smallest room in the hotel. No bathtub but a wonderful, comfortable, cozy room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TX-TraveLady
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Spent the night at The Jefferson for a quick staycation and absolutely loved it! First and foremost, the service at the hotel is impeccable. From the moment the valet greets you at the car, quickly assisting with your luggage, you know this is a special place. The lobby is small and unassuming- instead of a long counter, you are welcomed to sit at a desk to complete check in, a very quick process.

Truthfully, our Classic Room was a little tight, but for one night, it was more than adequate and very comfortable. The picture on the website is a good representation of the size (though our room differed slightly from the floor plan). Despite the size, it is thoughtfully laid out and there are a lot of amenities: Bose alarm with iPod docking; 2 desks with chairs; valet to hang jacket and slacks; 2 large bottles of water; and very comfortable bed, with down comforters and great pillows. Though we did not use, they have free wi-fi, local and long distance calls, complimentary shoe shine and a garment pressing. It seemed like they thought of all the details. Prior to check in, they contact you for any additional services you may want. We pre-ordered a bottle of champagne and cheese plate and it was waiting for us in the room when we arrived.

The bathroom extremely spacious- lots of room to move around. The large soaking tub (with bath salts), separate shower, separate WC. The roomy shower was terrific- rain shower head with great water pressure. The sink had a magnified make-up mirror and also had enough space for toiletries and hair appliances. Comfortable robes and, yes, slippers (why do so many hotels forget this?). The in-mirror tv was quite the novelty-- we want one! Evening turn down service was impeccable-- linen turn down, refresh towels, waters opened and prepared bedside, slippers at the bed, and of course, chocolates on the pillows.

Sadly, we did not have dinner at The Plume this stay, though it is by far our favorite restaurant in DC. Going there is always outstanding and is the complete dining experience. For this evening, we logged more time in the hotel bar, Quill (before and after dinner)- the bartenders and servers were warm, friendly, and professional. Classic piano bar-- LOVE IT! We also had breakfast the next morning at the Greenhouse-- generous breakfasts with attentive service.

We absolutely would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear L&JinVA,

I was thrilled to read that you had a great visit at The Jefferson during your staycation! I will be sure to pass along your praise for your overall experience in Quill and throughout the hotel.

Since you live close by, we hope to welcome you back soon, perhaps this time for dinner in Plume!

Dbueno@jeffersondc.com
Ashburn, Georgia
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed here for our anniversary and I must say I am speechless. Yes the rooms were beautiful, yes we dinned at their 5-star restaurant but that wasnt what blew away, it was their service. It began with making the reservation. I was give the opportunity to have a young lady named Alex who was fantastic book my room. She gave me options for every situation I gave and she ended up not only making my reservation but scheduling my entire day with my wife. So if you plan on coming make sure you ask for Alex.

The moment we walked in everyone smiled and greeted my wife and I. What I loved most was that is was a small establishment because when I had a question or concern I wasn't transfered from department to department.

Over all my experience was great. I will definitely be coming again. Oh and incase you need to wow your girl with a great bottle of wine, ask Michael.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joshuak73
Port Shepstone, South Africa
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Hotel staff were not friendly. We were told on check-in that our room was not ready. I asked if any other rooms were available. I was told that there were no rooms. I asked that my bags be kept. No offer of use of the restroom was made. I had to make the enquiry myself. I was coming off a long flight, and I'm sure the clerk could see the tiredness on our faces. Then I enquired roughly what time the room would be ready. I was rudely told that check-in was at 15h00. I asked whether any rooms in other catagories were available as I would be happy to pay the price difference. It was only then that I was accommodated for an extra 35 dollars. I didn't mind the extra fee, but I minded the fact that I had to prize this information from the clerk, who had to ask her supervisor. This was ridiculous as it felt that the staff had no interest in accommodating us. We were not shown the ammenities of the hotel. Terrible service, the staff seemed very unconcerned with guests. When we got to the room, the toilet was not working. Had to get somebody to sort it out after we called the front desk. I was very disappointed with this hotel. Booked it due to the ratings, but my personal experience was far from the good ratings.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kanhai
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear kanhai,

I’d like to deeply apologize for the issues that you encountered during your recent stay with us. I can assure you that it was not the intention of the front desk agent to appear as though they were not sympathetic to your travels. All of our agents are empowered to assist you with a room category upgrade; I will be sure to speak with the front office manager to ensure that this is re-communicated to their staff.

I would like to speak with you further about your experience. If you be so kind as call me at 877.313.9749 I would enjoy the chance to apologize via telephone. Of course, I can also be reached via email at dbueno@jeffersondc.com.

dbueno@jeffersondc.com