“Like a private club in the heart of DC”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Like a private club in the heart of DC”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for our Daughters graduation from The George Washington University.
This is a wonderful hotel in a great location. The hotel has the feel and ambiance of a private club. Everything was spotlessly clean. The beds were unbelievably comfortable. I've never stayed at a hotel that had more bottled water provided at no charge to the guest. I feel the heart and soul of a hotel is the people that work there. Here The Jefferson set itself apart with some of the nicest people you can find. On our arrival I was greeted by Amil who I believe is the longest serving member of the staff and a great guy. Next on to the ladies at the front desk. They were warm, friendly and very helpful. I've included a photo of them as well as the the valets that work the front who were equally as great. We'll be back. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: We had a forth floor city view which was wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear vonMike,

Congratulations on your daughter’s graduation! Thank you for choosing to stay at The Jefferson for this special occasion; we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff exceeded your expectations. I will be sure to pass along your kind words about our front office staff!
We hope to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in DC!

dbueno@jeffersondc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
south shore
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I love this Hotel. Perfect location to walk to various attractions. VERY clean hotel. Even the baseboard woodwork did not have a speck of dust. Staff was attentive although my children though they were a little reserved. I do agree with that but no complaints. I think they were formal because of the location. Maid service was very good except for our last day they never came to our floor. We got back from the zoo at 3:00 and our suite nor our teen boy's room had been touched. Our suite was fabulous. Only complain with the suite is lack of closet space and I wish they had even a half bath put in. My daughters pull out was also the most comfortable pull out she has ever been on. One more minor item, I wish the doors to the hall were a little better for noise canceling. Bar restaurant had very good food. Room Service was very good. Had to write in some items and they always got it correct except for - Tip - if you are ordering chocolate milk specify cold or it may come up to your room as hot.

Room Tip: use Iprefer to book for great rates
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just spent 3 nights at the Jefferson over the Memorial Day Weekend. The Hotel was beautiful but the true beauty of this hotel lies in its service. From the warm greeting in the morning to the welcome back at the end of the day, the staff was attentive and charming. Chris, the concierge, was invaluable in making this a weekend to remember for my girlfriend and I. Wouldn't consider any other hotel on my next trip to the Capitol.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear iozier,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay with us! I will be sure to pass along your wonderful words about Chris, our Chef Concierge & am so pleased that you and your girlfriend had a wonderful long weekend in DC.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

London W.8.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

. . . there will be no room to swing it. We booked a Deluxe Double just for one night and really couldn't be bothered to go through the performance of trying to get an upgrade, so stayed put. The room was tiny - barely anywhere to put our bags. It was all beautifully appointed though and the bed very comfortable, lighting excellent and the bathroom was more than fine.

We arrived at the hotel at about 1:30 and by the time we drifted down to get some lunch at 2:01, we were told that the service in the light, bright conservatory had ceased and the only place to eat in the hotel was the dark and dreary bar - exactly the same food but in a different place. How very odd and how very dispiriting.

The staff in the main were very helpful with the exception of a female concierge who was oddly disengaged and uninformative. Maybe she had a headache - we'll give her the benefit of the doubt. We quite liked the hotel but there are better locations in DC and we may well continue to give other places a shot on that basis. I would imagine that to take a room one up from Deluxe would be the way to go if you want to stay in a small and stylish hotel nearish to The White House and all the sights that DC has to offer.

Room Tip: Don't skimp on the room unless you're happy sleeping in a cupboard.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shellfire
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Shellfire,

I appreciate you taking a moment to post about your recent stay with us. I’m sorry that the room that you booked did not meet your expectations, had you asked and a room move been available, we would have been happy to try to accommodate your need for additional space. I would also like to apologize that Greenhouse was not open for lunch when you came downstairs, but glad that Quill was available as another dining option. The lounge does offer patio dining; I will follow up with the staff to ensure that this option was given to you if you felt it was too dark inside. I will also be following up with our concierge staff to ensure that a situation like that does not arise again.

I do hope that if you find yourself in DC again you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent 5 nights at The Jefferson in DC this month and didn't want to leave. Elegant but not pretentious, so very comfortable, like being in the best sort of cocoon. The first hotel bed I've slept in that I liked better than my own at home! The staff are lovely and helpful with all requests and questions. After a long day of visiting the Memorials we would stop in the bar and were perfectly taken care of by Terrance. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Marie T,

Of course you can live here! Thank you so much for your complimentary words about The Jefferson, our beds and our staff! I will be sure to pass along your experience with Terrance to our Food & Beverage Manager.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Jefferson would be proud this hotel bears his name. My adult daughter and I traveled to DC on an incentive trip with a group of 60 people. We loved this luxurious hotel! The staff was friendly and attentive. You are a few block walk to all the sites at the Washington Mall and how amazing walking the Mall. The room was so nice with the comfortable King bed and decorated beautifully, there is even a TV inside the bathroom mirror. We were first disappointed having only a king bed but without asking a twin bed had been rolled into the room the first evening, problem solved. Breakfast was excellent a bit expensive and the service was a little slow(only complaint of our stay). The hotel bar was great with an assortment of specialty drinks and bartenders that made the bar a fun place to hangout. Although we never saw them and not a fan, Sean Penn and Oprah were staying at the hotel at the same time we were there. I have never stayed at a better big city hotel anywhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TimToyota
LA
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We absolutely love it here at The Jefferson. A beautiful property reminiscent of the glided age. The staff are accommodating and professional. We were so comfortable in our beds that we asked for a late check out just to sleep in a little longer and they were also able to get us an appointment at the spa within an hours notice. This is the jewel hotel of DC.

We will definitely be coming back on our next visit.

Don & Claire Kollerer

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ackad3
Dear Don & Claire,

We love to hear that! I am so happy to read that you had a wonderful return stay and that we were able to accommodate your request for a treatment at the Petite Spa & were able to accommodate a late check out.
We look forward to welcoming you back!