“Perfect”

Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Oyster Bay, New York
“Perfect”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We got a last minute reservation here when the Hertz counter at Union Station closed before we found our way there (that will be another review!). We called from the train station and by the time we arrived at The Jefferson, our room (a king bed with a big comfortable cot) was made up and ready for us.

Everyone was friendly and accommodating, from the person taking the reservation, to the folks at reception, to the person who opened the door for us.

We ordered room service and the food was delicious (tuna tartare and roasted tomato soup). When one bottle of wine was unavailable, the concierge (super friendly) suggested a lovely alternative. All was delivered promptly and with a smile.

The following morning the concierge provided us with a map for our run and the staff was gracious even though we showed up at the elegant and cheerful little brunch space in our sweaty running clothes. The food was delicious, besides.

Great location, beautiful rooms, lobby--traditional, but full of light and comfortable. Interesting memorabilia throughout. Nice touch: I left my computer charger there and they are already mailing it to me. Thanks, Gary!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear munchandmove,

I’m so glad that we were able to accommodate you during your trip to DC and that you had a lovely stay with us and that Gary, one of our front office agents was able to assist you with returning your computer charger. I was also pleased to read that you received great service from our concierge team and that you had the chance to dine in Greenhouse.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

dbueno@jeffersondc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My stay at The Jefferson was for four nights; I was in Washington on business. I had chosen to stay at the hotel with 15 colleagues / members of my organisation’s Board. During my time at The Jefferson I was largely impressed by hotel, the staff and the quality of the food. However, my final day was most disappointing, and the level of professionalism was certainly called into question.

My pyjamas were taken from my room during my stay. I approached reception about this early in the morning (~7:30am), explaining that I would be checking out at 6pm, following a day of meetings, and would like the return of my pyjamas before then. I did mention that perhaps, as they were white, laundry had inadvertently removed them whilst making the bed.

I returned to my room at 5pm – no note, message or pyjamas. On raising this at check-out I was told I could leave my address and if they were ever found they would be sent to me. When I highlighted my dissatisfaction at the lack of information provided, and the very fact of the inconvenience, I received a rather generic and insincere, “We do apologise”.

I feel strongly that regardless of the item, a personal effect was taken from my room at the hotel and not replaced. My pyjamas were possibly stolen and yet the staff service regarding my loss was rather flippant. The explanation I received was from a receptionist who I had to re-raise it with on check-out - had no record of my complaint and had to call a colleague. I feel that the Manager could have engaged on this issue, and my regret is having walked away from the hotel incredibly dissatisfied, and quite uncomfortable, rather than sharing my position.

My experience generally was great but pyjama-gate was unpleasant and my treatment incredibly poor from any hotel, not least a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank 413ElizM
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear 413ElizM,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay with us. While I’m glad that you were impressed by the hotel and the staff for the majority of your stay, I’d like to address the situation regarding your pajamas. As is often the case, they had been left on the bed and accidentally taken out with the laundry while your room was being serviced by housekeeping. I apologize that it took longer than 24 hours to locate the pajamas, but as it was explained to you by our front office staff, our laundry is not done on property so we needed to have our service locate the item. I have been in touch with our front office and your pajamas are en route back to you via priority mail so you should have them in the next few days.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding and do hope that the next time you find yourself in the states you’ll return to our hotel.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

From the minute I walked into this sweet hotel I felt like I was home. I was in DC for a conference and was vehemently opposed to staying at the conference hotel. I did some research and came across the Jefferson...it did not disappoint. Lovely, helpful staff; wonderful rooms - very clean and comfortable; fabulous food. First rate in all respects. This hotel reminded me of my favorite hotel in Paris - the Lancaster. I love the small, luxurious (but not obnoxious) hotel experience. The Jefferson definitely delivers. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The basic room is probably a little small for two people; I was traveling alone so found it cozy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank brett1947
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just returned home from three nights at the Jefferson. Superlative in every way, from greetings to cleanliness, to the room, but especially to Quill. This "bar", if you could call it by that name, was fantastic. Great service, great food, all the way up to steaks!, outside patio, and kudos to Frank, one of the most attentive, friendly, helpful attendants I have run into. Management needs to give a special "heads up" to this guy! My only comment would be that it needs to be enlarged, there were so many people some afternoons.

Chris the concierge was very helpful and knowledgeable. One other thought is that IPrefer points apparently are not given for food or other services, and this should be included! We spent almost as much on "extras" as we did for the room itself, and I see no reason why that should not be valued as much for IPrefer point purposes. Perhaps management should look into this.

As far as our room was concerned, my only thought would be the addition of a coffee maker in the room. I actually was surprised that there wasn't one, though service was available downstairs in the alcove area, but I really would have liked to have enjoyed coffee/tea in the room with our newspaper before having to get dressed to go downstairs. Minor point, but important.

We would return here at any time..........................

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Russell S,

We will welcome you back any time! I will be sure to pass along your kudos to Frank and to Chris, I’m so pleased they were able to assist you and gave you great service. Thank you for your suggestions regarding iprefer and our in room offerings; we are always looking for ways to enhance our customer’s experience so we will be sure to look into both of these comments.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Our stay was very special at the Jefferson over Easter. The hotel staff were very approachable and the room was beautiful and clean. It is a short walk from all the attractions. The is THE hotel to stay at in Washington DC!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for our Daughters graduation from The George Washington University.
This is a wonderful hotel in a great location. The hotel has the feel and ambiance of a private club. Everything was spotlessly clean. The beds were unbelievably comfortable. I've never stayed at a hotel that had more bottled water provided at no charge to the guest. I feel the heart and soul of a hotel is the people that work there. Here The Jefferson set itself apart with some of the nicest people you can find. On our arrival I was greeted by Amil who I believe is the longest serving member of the staff and a great guy. Next on to the ladies at the front desk. They were warm, friendly and very helpful. I've included a photo of them as well as the the valets that work the front who were equally as great. We'll be back. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: We had a forth floor city view which was wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear vonMike,

Congratulations on your daughter’s graduation! Thank you for choosing to stay at The Jefferson for this special occasion; we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff exceeded your expectations. I will be sure to pass along your kind words about our front office staff!
We hope to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in DC!

south shore
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I love this Hotel. Perfect location to walk to various attractions. VERY clean hotel. Even the baseboard woodwork did not have a speck of dust. Staff was attentive although my children though they were a little reserved. I do agree with that but no complaints. I think they were formal because of the location. Maid service was very good except for our last day they never came to our floor. We got back from the zoo at 3:00 and our suite nor our teen boy's room had been touched. Our suite was fabulous. Only complain with the suite is lack of closet space and I wish they had even a half bath put in. My daughters pull out was also the most comfortable pull out she has ever been on. One more minor item, I wish the doors to the hall were a little better for noise canceling. Bar restaurant had very good food. Room Service was very good. Had to write in some items and they always got it correct except for - Tip - if you are ordering chocolate milk specify cold or it may come up to your room as hot.

Room Tip: use Iprefer to book for great rates
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family