“Excellent experience”

Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Bethesda, Maryland
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I live in the Washington, DC area and carefully pick a hotel for my anniversary each year. The Jefferson is perfect - a small luxury hotel that offers great rooms and impeccable service. Everything was perfect - all the staff congratulated us on our anniversary - from check in to check out. We had a good sized room that was very nicely decorated and very quiet.
The location is great and the hotel provided free "hotel car" service to a restaurant across town for dinner.
Everything was really perfect when it came to our stay at the Jefferson.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Imfguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at The Jefferson on business many times and each time it has exceeded my expectations. It is a $10.00 taxi ride from Union Station. The service offered is above and beyond. The bed was really comfy and inviting and the bathroom was very spacious (love the TV in the mirror)! The whole hotel was fresh and very interesting if you are into history. Don't miss out staying here if you'e heading to Washington, you will not be disappointed!
To the staff....THANK YOU for the warm welcome and the pampering!!!

Room Tip: Tell them what you are looking for. every detail so they can match your needs!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tere56
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Tere56,

You are very welcome! I’m so glad that you had a great experience while staying at The Jefferson and we look forward to having you return!

Tervuren, Belgium
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Jefferson immediately gives you a sensation of highly personalized service. The ladies at reception are extremely poite and efficient. The rooms are tastefully decorated and differ in design, giving them a unique feel. Location is top as you walk a straight line directly to the White House. The bar terrace is the place to be. As it is considered entirely private property, cigar smokers are more than welcome, defying the trend of the American Health Gestapo. The cocktails are excellent and the menu offers a variety of quality snacks. All in all, the best boutique hotel in DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not to close to the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Suba2013
Toronto
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I chose The Jefferson for its location. It's not exactly near Dupont Circle, but as noted in another review, it is "like a private club in the heart of DC". Staff couldn't have been more attentive and welcoming, the room was well appointed. Even with us coming and going at different times throughout the day, we never walked into service staff in the room and turndown was always perfectly timed. We had breakfast in the hotel one morning and the service was impeccable. My only comment would be "less bernaise sauce on the eggs benedict", but that's really it! Lots of bottled water and the shower was a pleasure -- so large and great water pressure. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear devoted_guy,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at The Jefferson. I’m so pleased you and your wife experienced great service from our staff and that you enjoyed our complimentary in room filtered water. I will be sure to pass along your comment about our Eggs Benedict to the kitchen as we are always looking for ways to improve!
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We got a last minute reservation here when the Hertz counter at Union Station closed before we found our way there (that will be another review!). We called from the train station and by the time we arrived at The Jefferson, our room (a king bed with a big comfortable cot) was made up and ready for us.

Everyone was friendly and accommodating, from the person taking the reservation, to the folks at reception, to the person who opened the door for us.

We ordered room service and the food was delicious (tuna tartare and roasted tomato soup). When one bottle of wine was unavailable, the concierge (super friendly) suggested a lovely alternative. All was delivered promptly and with a smile.

The following morning the concierge provided us with a map for our run and the staff was gracious even though we showed up at the elegant and cheerful little brunch space in our sweaty running clothes. The food was delicious, besides.

Great location, beautiful rooms, lobby--traditional, but full of light and comfortable. Interesting memorabilia throughout. Nice touch: I left my computer charger there and they are already mailing it to me. Thanks, Gary!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear munchandmove,

I’m so glad that we were able to accommodate you during your trip to DC and that you had a lovely stay with us and that Gary, one of our front office agents was able to assist you with returning your computer charger. I was also pleased to read that you received great service from our concierge team and that you had the chance to dine in Greenhouse.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My stay at The Jefferson was for four nights; I was in Washington on business. I had chosen to stay at the hotel with 15 colleagues / members of my organisation’s Board. During my time at The Jefferson I was largely impressed by hotel, the staff and the quality of the food. However, my final day was most disappointing, and the level of professionalism was certainly called into question.

My pyjamas were taken from my room during my stay. I approached reception about this early in the morning (~7:30am), explaining that I would be checking out at 6pm, following a day of meetings, and would like the return of my pyjamas before then. I did mention that perhaps, as they were white, laundry had inadvertently removed them whilst making the bed.

I returned to my room at 5pm – no note, message or pyjamas. On raising this at check-out I was told I could leave my address and if they were ever found they would be sent to me. When I highlighted my dissatisfaction at the lack of information provided, and the very fact of the inconvenience, I received a rather generic and insincere, “We do apologise”.

I feel strongly that regardless of the item, a personal effect was taken from my room at the hotel and not replaced. My pyjamas were possibly stolen and yet the staff service regarding my loss was rather flippant. The explanation I received was from a receptionist who I had to re-raise it with on check-out - had no record of my complaint and had to call a colleague. I feel that the Manager could have engaged on this issue, and my regret is having walked away from the hotel incredibly dissatisfied, and quite uncomfortable, rather than sharing my position.

My experience generally was great but pyjama-gate was unpleasant and my treatment incredibly poor from any hotel, not least a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank 413ElizM
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear 413ElizM,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay with us. While I’m glad that you were impressed by the hotel and the staff for the majority of your stay, I’d like to address the situation regarding your pajamas. As is often the case, they had been left on the bed and accidentally taken out with the laundry while your room was being serviced by housekeeping. I apologize that it took longer than 24 hours to locate the pajamas, but as it was explained to you by our front office staff, our laundry is not done on property so we needed to have our service locate the item. I have been in touch with our front office and your pajamas are en route back to you via priority mail so you should have them in the next few days.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding and do hope that the next time you find yourself in the states you’ll return to our hotel.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

From the minute I walked into this sweet hotel I felt like I was home. I was in DC for a conference and was vehemently opposed to staying at the conference hotel. I did some research and came across the Jefferson...it did not disappoint. Lovely, helpful staff; wonderful rooms - very clean and comfortable; fabulous food. First rate in all respects. This hotel reminded me of my favorite hotel in Paris - the Lancaster. I love the small, luxurious (but not obnoxious) hotel experience. The Jefferson definitely delivers. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The basic room is probably a little small for two people; I was traveling alone so found it cozy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business