“Wonderful”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 August 2012

First time in Washington - ostensibly business trip but had weekend off. Washington was wonderful. The Madison even more so.

Classy, sexy and charming. Big enough to feel luxurious, boutique enough to feel special. Delightful staff particularly the door staff.

Upgrade on room (very reasonable) to Penthouse Suite was so worth it. Terrace with great views. Central location and near enough shops etc.

Usually avoid hotel restaurants like the plague but The Federalist at the Madison was certainly a few notches up from the usual fare. Not cheap but nice atmosphere, attentive but not 'stalking' staff - good wine list and a guy who knew the list too.

All in all - when I go back to Washington again I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Upgrade to penthouse suites if you can
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OddManOut219

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Everything at The Madison is easy and friendly from check-in to check-out! A warm welcome greeted us at reception, our room (Luxury King) was ready and beautiful. There was only one bathrobe but a quick call to housekeeping and another was on it's way. Given that Washington is very hot this time of year, the hotel being well situated was a great place to come back to, cool down and get ready for dinner out.

Tony the Concierge is adept at figuring out what type of dining experience you might be looking for and matching that up with terrific choices. He knows his stuff and guided us to where to catch the on/off trolley tours, how to divide the two leg of those tours so as to not overdo things in the extreme heat.

Housekeeping was great, the room was impeccable and the breakfast menu had a lot of choices (although like most hotels not the most economical of options). While we didn't have dinner at the hotel we did appreciate the service at the bars both in the afternoon for a capuccino and in the evening for a night cap before retiring.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to people travelling there for business or pleasure and they seem to welcome children and even little dogs (of course I would check that out first at booking).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatieToronto
Reviewed 12 August 2012

First room had no safe. Staff reply "it doesn't?". Finally I insisted on our room being switched after an hour of them giving us the run around. Second room had a safe and was clean. Apparently they have a shortage of items like paper cups, cotton swabs, hand towels, wash clothes, coffee shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. Takes forever to receive items. Have to call room service for ice. Stocking rooms is not their best side. Service in small cafe was slower then slow and we had mentioned we were in a hurry; breakfast was over an hour. Food unmemorable. Federalist was decent if you don't want to go out. Room was small but very clean and I checked for bedbugs.. none found. Beds are like sleeping on a BOARD. Best thing was abundance of pillows. Won't be returning or recommending.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
GMMadison, Hotel Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Hi Linda, we thank you for your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the safe in your room. Upon completing our recent renovation, we are happy to report all of our rooms now have safes. We will be reaching out to you directly in hopes of regaining your trust in The Madison.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

The Madison has recently gone through a renovation, and the room I had was impressively new and shiny, as was the lobby and the very nice cafe. The room was a little on the small side but had all the nice amenities and was quite comfortable. Most of the hotel staff were warm and provided good service.

There were, however, a few notable exceptions during my 6-day stay that detracted from the entire experience. I spent almost 20 minutes at check-in because the front desk staff couldn't find my reservation. The problem turned out to be that the hotel had me arriving and departing a day early, and so had me as a no-show, despite a confirmation email that had the correct dates. The front desk person seemed quite at a loss as to what to do and got a bit defensive when it became clear it was the hotel's mistake. The cafe staff were always attentive whenever I dined there, but taking orders to go seemed to be problematic, involving either long delays, or, on one occasion when I ordered bagel lox, finding out later that they gave me everything in the take out box except the bagel. Upon check out, I was given a bill that had my name, but someone else's home address completely. When I asked the front desk staff whether this was truly my bill, the attitude was a rather dismissively "don't worry about the address; everything is fine." When I insisted on their correcting the address for the bill, my address was misspelled rather badly, but I didn't have the inclination for a third correction. The hotel management did send me an email afterward apologizing for these problems and offering a complimentary future stay, which was a very nice gesture. It would take some convincing though for me to consider staying there again to risk encountering similar problems, so I hope to see the hotel management take active steps to step up training of its front desk and restaurant staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank drummingtosca
Reviewed 10 August 2012

well located property. terrific food service options as well as a business friendly bar. quiet rooms are a real benefit. outside seating offers a nice break from the fast paced interior. doorman and front desk were very attentive

2  Thank C F
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Warm professional staff, first class accommodations and a great bar. Loved this hotel! Centrally located, very clean, grey palette was soothing and cool on the hot summer days. Everything was effortless here - from check into check out. Comfortable rooms, great fitness center, and all the small details were noticed and appreciated. Highly recommend the Madison.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I come to DC a lot on business and as a freelancer I am look for a nice place at a good rate. The Madison is really lovely and one of the nicest places I've stayed. I happened upon a special but I do think the hotel is worth it at the higher rate too if it is in your budget. The renovation was a success and the common areas are elegant. I found the staff very helpful and not too cloying. It was nice to be in a upper end hotel that didn't charge for the fitness room (small but just fine) or wifi. As with most nice hotels the breakfast room service is pricey but there are several delis and coffee shops within a 2 minute walk where you can eggs, bagels, etc. Keuig coffee makers in the rooms a great thing. I've stayed at two Ritz Carltons in DC ( when I wasn't a freelancer!) and this hotel experience was as nice for sure. I think they have a high turnover b/c housekeeping really pounced on the rooms by 8am and I heard them politely ask someone when they were checking out today.....not the greatest move in my opinion...but that is a minor thing.

Thank FromNYto?