“Fantastic stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Palatine, Illinois
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Believe it or not, this was the lowest priced hotel I managed to find near the heart of DC that was at least 3 stars. Reading reviews, I knew it was going to be a good hotel, and once I managed to find a deal on the price, I jumped on it. I'm pretty sure I got the best deal ever.

This hotel is much higher in grade than I usually stay in, although the vast majority of my hotel time is for business and thus basic...but this place was fantastic. While at the hotel, not one person ever said the word "no" to me, and even when faced with a fairly negative situation (we had a travel issue, not due to the Madison, that prevented us from going to where we wanted to go), they managed to both soothe me and try to find a solution. I know I am a picky person, but they satisfied every request. As an example, at 11pm at night, on a Sunday, my wife decided we needed a fridge. I could have had one at check in, but she didn't want one. I asked the desk staff, who said they'd see what they could do. 15 minutes later, the fridge showed up. Who has a maintenance man on hand at that crazy hour of the night? The Madison does.

Our room was clean and fresh smelling every day, which was a great boon to the neat-freak wife, and we had housekeeping check on us several times a day when we were hanging out in the room (and didn't have the DND sign up) to offer us water, coffee, or simply ask if we needed anything. What else to praise? The concierge I dealt with (Tony) several times was not only incredibly knowledgeable of places to visit for a variery of different interests, but very patient in explaining how to get to places which helped greatly. We ate at the attached restaurant, Postscript, several times, usually waited on by Mohammed, and he treated us as if we were the only guests there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to my family for a second. Despite the wife's general unhappyness with a history-packed vacation (for the kids), she absolutely loved this hotel.

The only issue I had with this hotel was that whomever answers their phones seemed to be angry both times I called. I never saw a person at the desk answer the phone, so this might be located elsewhere. I'd recommend booking it online and never calling.

Room Tip: Join the destination delivers club (free signup) for discounts on rooms and lots of perks while stay...
4 Thank Dave B
GMMadison, Hotel Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for your five star review, Dave! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Madison. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible service to make sure each stay is filled with memorable and unique experiences. We hope to see you and your family again very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Broadview Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have stayed in DC too many times to count and my last visit was my 1st time at the Madison. What a truly wonderful hotel.! The staff at this hotel is some of the best I have encountered. They are friendly, engaging and eager to help in every way. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are comfortable and the entire property is immaculate and clean. This hotel rivals competition but is half the price. Location is good.. close to the White-House. The restaurants/bar on site are a very pleasant place to wind down the day. If traveling with kids...FYI the property doesn't have a pool.
The only negative I have was the use of the printer in the business center was way too high. It cost me $15.00 to print 3 pages but I was desperate so I had no choice. Overall a really nice hotel!

1 Thank Sharon H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

First time in Washington - ostensibly business trip but had weekend off. Washington was wonderful. The Madison even more so.

Classy, sexy and charming. Big enough to feel luxurious, boutique enough to feel special. Delightful staff particularly the door staff.

Upgrade on room (very reasonable) to Penthouse Suite was so worth it. Terrace with great views. Central location and near enough shops etc.

Usually avoid hotel restaurants like the plague but The Federalist at the Madison was certainly a few notches up from the usual fare. Not cheap but nice atmosphere, attentive but not 'stalking' staff - good wine list and a guy who knew the list too.

All in all - when I go back to Washington again I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Upgrade to penthouse suites if you can
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank OddManOut219
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Everything at The Madison is easy and friendly from check-in to check-out! A warm welcome greeted us at reception, our room (Luxury King) was ready and beautiful. There was only one bathrobe but a quick call to housekeeping and another was on it's way. Given that Washington is very hot this time of year, the hotel being well situated was a great place to come back to, cool down and get ready for dinner out.

Tony the Concierge is adept at figuring out what type of dining experience you might be looking for and matching that up with terrific choices. He knows his stuff and guided us to where to catch the on/off trolley tours, how to divide the two leg of those tours so as to not overdo things in the extreme heat.

Housekeeping was great, the room was impeccable and the breakfast menu had a lot of choices (although like most hotels not the most economical of options). While we didn't have dinner at the hotel we did appreciate the service at the bars both in the afternoon for a capuccino and in the evening for a night cap before retiring.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to people travelling there for business or pleasure and they seem to welcome children and even little dogs (of course I would check that out first at booking).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatieToronto
Shoreview, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

First room had no safe. Staff reply "it doesn't?". Finally I insisted on our room being switched after an hour of them giving us the run around. Second room had a safe and was clean. Apparently they have a shortage of items like paper cups, cotton swabs, hand towels, wash clothes, coffee shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. Takes forever to receive items. Have to call room service for ice. Stocking rooms is not their best side. Service in small cafe was slower then slow and we had mentioned we were in a hurry; breakfast was over an hour. Food unmemorable. Federalist was decent if you don't want to go out. Room was small but very clean and I checked for bedbugs.. none found. Beds are like sleeping on a BOARD. Best thing was abundance of pillows. Won't be returning or recommending.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hi Linda, we thank you for your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the safe in your room. Upon completing our recent renovation, we are happy to report all of our rooms now have safes. We will be reaching out to you directly in hopes of regaining your trust in The Madison.
U.S.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

The Madison has recently gone through a renovation, and the room I had was impressively new and shiny, as was the lobby and the very nice cafe. The room was a little on the small side but had all the nice amenities and was quite comfortable. Most of the hotel staff were warm and provided good service.

There were, however, a few notable exceptions during my 6-day stay that detracted from the entire experience. I spent almost 20 minutes at check-in because the front desk staff couldn't find my reservation. The problem turned out to be that the hotel had me arriving and departing a day early, and so had me as a no-show, despite a confirmation email that had the correct dates. The front desk person seemed quite at a loss as to what to do and got a bit defensive when it became clear it was the hotel's mistake. The cafe staff were always attentive whenever I dined there, but taking orders to go seemed to be problematic, involving either long delays, or, on one occasion when I ordered bagel lox, finding out later that they gave me everything in the take out box except the bagel. Upon check out, I was given a bill that had my name, but someone else's home address completely. When I asked the front desk staff whether this was truly my bill, the attitude was a rather dismissively "don't worry about the address; everything is fine." When I insisted on their correcting the address for the bill, my address was misspelled rather badly, but I didn't have the inclination for a third correction. The hotel management did send me an email afterward apologizing for these problems and offering a complimentary future stay, which was a very nice gesture. It would take some convincing though for me to consider staying there again to risk encountering similar problems, so I hope to see the hotel management take active steps to step up training of its front desk and restaurant staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank drummingtosca
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

well located property. terrific food service options as well as a business friendly bar. quiet rooms are a real benefit. outside seating offers a nice break from the fast paced interior. doorman and front desk were very attentive

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business