I'm told that The Madison went through a rough patch last year, when a labor dispute caused great disruption. Fortunately those days are long past: this has become a truly exceptional hotel, and the best bargain in DC.
The newly renovated rooms are impeccably styled, almost on par with rooms at The Jefferson two blocks away. (The Jefferson charges roughly twice The Madison's nightly rate.) The staff are uniformly pleasant, though I've still experienced a few slip-ups in my half dozen stays there since January, mostly involving housekeeping. Small things, like removing bathrobes and not replacing them, forgetting to change the sheets after the expected three nights, and toiletries and complimentary coffee not being replenished. Nothing major.
The food and drinks in the lobby bar are great. The seasoned popcorn should be illegal, it's so addictive. And of course the location is incredibly convenient. It's not the most exciting block in the world -- particularly after dark -- but it's walkable to nearly everything.
On the downside, the free wifi has always been troublesome, slow and balky. I hear they're switching to paid wifi, which is unfortunate, though I suppose that will likely improve reception and bandwidth. Another pet peeve of mine: hotels (like this one) that don't have ice machines, requiring constant calls to room service for free ice. #firstworldproblems
I already have two more reservations made for 2012, and I'm looking forward to both.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Become a part of history when you stay at Loews Madison Hotel. Located in the heart of downtown Washington D.C., our hotel has been honored to host distinguished guests including Elizabeth Taylor and John F. Kennedy. Our unmatched dedication to service has made us the first choice for political and social leaders, global travelers and families seeking the cultural legacy of our nation's capital. Only a short stroll from the White House, Embassy Row, and National Mall Monuments, Loews Madison Hotel is a refreshing destination for corporate stays, relaxing getaways and unforgettable gatherings. Appointed with sophisticated furnishings, our Washington, D.C. hotel features a collection of rooms and suites with amenities fit for a president. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Loews Madison Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Madison Hotel Washington Dc
- Madison Washington Dc
- Madison Hotel Washington Dc