“Clean hotel, tremendous staff, great location”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #89 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 September 2012

From my first interaction with the bell staff, to the room service attendant and great housekeepers - this hotel has a tremendous staff. The bell staff ensured I never waited for a taxi. The front desk was helpful in relocating a lost package and emailing me a copy of my bill. The bartender was sure to offer up her recommendations for local restaurants along with great service. My room service was always delivered in a timely manner by a friendly server.

Well decorated rooms make you feel at home and the spacious bathrooms allow you to spread out and really enjoy. The plush white robes are such a nice touch and definitely make you feel at home!

It really is all about the basics of great customer service and this hotel knocked it out of the park! The great location, terrific food and outstanding service make the Madison the place to stay when in DC!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
GMMadison, Hotel Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Providing excellent customer service is our top priority so we are extremely happy to hear that you found our staff to be attentive! Our plush robes are one of our favorite amenities too. We thank you for your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back to The Madison soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,319)

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I'm told that The Madison went through a rough patch last year, when a labor dispute caused great disruption. Fortunately those days are long past: this has become a truly exceptional hotel, and the best bargain in DC.

The newly renovated rooms are impeccably styled, almost on par with rooms at The Jefferson two blocks away. (The Jefferson charges roughly twice The Madison's nightly rate.) The staff are uniformly pleasant, though I've still experienced a few slip-ups in my half dozen stays there since January, mostly involving housekeeping. Small things, like removing bathrobes and not replacing them, forgetting to change the sheets after the expected three nights, and toiletries and complimentary coffee not being replenished. Nothing major.

The food and drinks in the lobby bar are great. The seasoned popcorn should be illegal, it's so addictive. And of course the location is incredibly convenient. It's not the most exciting block in the world -- particularly after dark -- but it's walkable to nearly everything.

On the downside, the free wifi has always been troublesome, slow and balky. I hear they're switching to paid wifi, which is unfortunate, though I suppose that will likely improve reception and bandwidth. Another pet peeve of mine: hotels (like this one) that don't have ice machines, requiring constant calls to room service for free ice. #firstworldproblems

I already have two more reservations made for 2012, and I'm looking forward to both.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Lovely experience, extraordinary ambience .... I never had a better experience having meetings during three days than what I experienced at The Madison. Perfect facilities, very well coordinated schedules and exceptional food. The best personnel I've ever seen. Please keep them on board.

Room Tip: Nice drinks ,
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We are two retired couples who went to Washington to see the sights and also to enjoy dining and a nice vacation. The Madison met our expectations. Great shower and a firm mattress. We all slept well. We used the Old Town Trolley and were able to get the shuttle right around the corner. The hotel is near several good restaurants. The concierge helped us choose, and we ate at Sirocs, Georgia Brown,and the Lincoln. Enjoyed all of the restaurants. We had breakfast at Postscript. Pleasant with good service and food; no need to leave the hotel. The location of the hotel is quite good. We walked to the Smithsonian on the first day and then took a cab back. It's about a mile to the Ameriican History Museum, so we were ready to ride back when we left the museum at 5:30. All four of us agreed that the Madison fit our needs. We had a really nice trip and saw everything we wanted to. A great fall vacation!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the sixth floor on the city side; it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing The Madison! We are glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and had the opportunity to explore the many nearby monuments and museums. On your next stay, we hope to not only meet your expectations, but exceed them! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Everything was great except I had no coffee in my room the last morning. Everything else was just fine. I don't have more to say. I will stay at this hotel the next time I'm in town. The fuctions were all wonderfully done and the food was outstanding.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We had our annual conference at The Madison this year. The experience was legendary and with the help of the very accomodating and professional staff we have now raised the bar for all future events. Rooms remodel was well done!!!!! Meeting space for all our breakout sessions was right on target. Service throughout the conference was exceptional. Food and creative presentations all were impressive.

Room Tip: Really enjoyed the balcony suite. Faux green plants add a great seperation and provide privacy. Nice...
Reviewed 28 September 2012

From check in to departure, this hotel was firing on all cylinders. Beautiful lobby, and rooms, very nice meeting space, and the food was outstanding. If I were ever in DC again, I would not bother looking anywhere but the Madison. Close proximity to all the DC attractions, and some nice local eateries/pubs. Could not have been happier with my experience! If in DC, you owe it to yourself to stop in and see for yourself what they have to offer.