“Fabulous stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Fabulous stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I really enjoyed my brief stay at the Loews Madison Hotel! I booked my trip with one day notice and the staff not only accommodated my but also made sure my stay was pleasant one. I specifically want to thank Diana Messamore who made the reservation process extremely easy! I would definitely stay at the Madison again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Netski2014
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Netski2014,
Thank you for very much for taking the time to share this feedback. I’m very happy it was a fabulous stay, and couldn’t be more pleased you experienced the friendly, accommodating service our guests have come to look forward to when staying at Loews Madison Hotel! I have gladly shared your feedback with Diana Messamore, our Reservations Manager – she is a wonderful member of our team. Thank you for noting how pleasant your stay was, and that you would stay again. We would love to welcome you back to Loews Madison anytime you travel to DC.

Justin Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

The rooms are modern with plenty of room, and the bed was extremelly comfortable. Since my last stay, the room now has a Keurig, which is a great amenity for coffee in the morning. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Noel C,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us- and thank you for returning to Loews Madison! I’m so glad it was comfortable and to hear that you enjoyed the room’s features. We always strive to provide a supremely comfortable stay, and I’m thrilled we delivered. Our staff is committed to helpful, personalized service, and I’m excited you saw this! It's great to hear you liked the complimentary Keurig coffee maker and coffee in-room – we’ve heard from several guests this is a convenient and enjoyable offering, and we’re happy to provide it. We would love to welcome you back to Loews Madison Hotel whenever your travels bring you to DC.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

By reading others comments, i evidently had a fluke of a stay with several events combining to make me just not want to stay at another loews ever again. I stayed at this hotel because my husband had a conference to attend and this was the hotel we were told by the organizers to stay at.
At check in (Sunday afternoon) we were asked if we had a preference of floor level - i said, high. The desk clerk stated that with our room type, the highest we could go was five. In itself, you really cares what floor you are on as long as i'm not at ground level (for security issues). However, it seemed strange that the desk clerk would bring up "our type of room". Whatever. The room itself felt a bit cramped. In fact, I had to stand in the hallway while the bellman unloaded our luggage as there wasn't enough room for him to manuever with me in the room as well. The room itself was nicely appointed with all that you would expect.
The real issues started that night - the heating element had something lose and everytime the heat would kick in, the whole unit vibrated. I got very little sleep that night but as my husband slept thru it, didn't want to disturb him (he had a conference to attend the following day) so I put up with it. I did however go directly down first thing in the morning to let the front desk know and that it would be appreciated if someone would please fix it. I had a lovely breakfast at the hotel dining room. Everything was prepared exactly as requested. After breakfast I went back to the room and got ready for my day. I called down to have my car brought round (valet is required) and was first told, it would be ready in 30 minutes. The lady then changed it and said 15. In 15 minutes i went down stairs where the car was not but i waited another 15 minutes before going to the front desk and explaining the story and that I had been waiting in the lobby for the last 15 minutes. The front desk called to check on the status and told me it would be along directly. 15 minutes later, the car finally showed up. On a not very busy Monday morning between 10:00AM and 11:00AM - it took 45 minutes to get my car - glad i wasn't on my way to the airport. Later that evening, we came back to the room and I went to get ready for an evening out. The blow dryer didn't work. So I called the front desk and asked for another. They brought a new one up in 15 minutes. Upon coming back to the room late at night, the heater seemed fine until 2:00 in the morning, it woke me up rattling again. So, now that is two nights in a row that I have not slept better but I think, it could be worse, at least i'm not sleeping on the street and the room is warm. That morning, I went down to the front desk and let the clerk know that the issue had not been resolved. I think they really did try to fix it but the vibrations were just too much after awhile. The front desk clerk offered to move us but as my husband had to get to his conference and i had to go to work, i asked if we could move in the evening. She said no problem. This morning I called down well in advance of needing my car and was happy to see that it only took 15 minutes. Upon coming back that evening, we checked into a new room. We dumped our bags and went out to dinner. Upon coming back after dinner as we sat down on the bed and noticed white dog hair on the blanket. I love dogs but not strangers dogs and not on my bed.... This is the last night and I'm tired of moving so we tossed the cover into the closet. For $300+ a night, I expect better quality. I also would have expected a manager or someone to apologize for two nights in a row of little and interupted sleep.
However, as i stated at the beginning of this review - apparently i had a fluke bad stay. That being said though - I won't be anxious to stay at another Loews anytime in the near future.

Green Features: I did appreciate that the waste baskets in the room are set up for recycling
1 Thank ThePassionLife
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear ThePassionLife,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with Loews Madison. I’m glad you found the room nicely appointed and enjoyed the amenities, and thank you also for pointing out how much you enjoyed your breakfast at our PostScript restaurant.

I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay which created frustration. The fact that you had issues with your heater and we were unable to fully fix this issue, and to only figure this out at 2am, is disappointing. Your experience certainly does not live up to our standard level of service nor our other guests’ experiences. We pride ourselves in creating wonderful memories for our guests, and clearly we failed to do that for you - for that I am truly sorry.

In regards to the valet service, we apologize for the delay you experienced on the first day. Clearly this is not our normal guest valet experience. I was happy to learn however, that upon check out, we were able to remove the parking fee for the day you experienced the extended wait time.

For both of these unfortunate scenarios we are truly sorry. As you recognized in your post, this was a fluke stay and certainly not a normal Loews Madison experience. We do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust by staying at the Loews Madison Hotel again and seeing the true service our hotel has come to be known for. I would be happy to be your personal point of contact for any future reservation needs.

Director of Rooms
202-862-1600
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The service was phenomenal from the very first minute to the regrettably last minute off
The stay. Loung area and everything seemed like the highlights of an Hgtv show. Also, the front office manger and front desk manager (meaning the list never ends)were beyond words with the genuine hospitality. The entire staff deserves a 10 % bonus across the board!

Room Tip: Over and beyond excellent...all secret guest should return any promised compensation.
1 Thank 1godknows
Dear 1godknows,

Thank you so much for your kind words, and the time you took to review your stay! I’m thrilled you experienced the top notch, friendly, dynamic service we’ve been working very hard to provide. I can’t think of a higher compliment than hearing the service was phenomenal – and how our staff conveyed their genuine interest in your comfort and your Loews and Washington, DC, experience. I will share with them as encouragement to keep up the great work. I’m also happy you enjoyed the overall look of our property, including our lobby lounge area. We’re certainly glad our renovations have created a pleasing environment for our guests! We would be very happy to welcome you back to Loews Madison Hotel anytime you visit DC.

Johnson City, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Our family stayed for a week in late December 2013-early January, 2014. When we entered our room there was a large tray on a counter top containing several large bottles of liquor. Since we were traveling with our 9 year old daughter we immediately called the front desk to have it removed. (The bottles were too large to fit in the mini bar so we couldn't put them in the mini-bar and lock it. ) We were told the hotel wouldn't remove it unless we paid an extra fee ! When we protested we were told this was "a corporate policy" and that the front desk had to charge us. We consider this policy price- gouging the hotel guests: we never requested the liquor and to charge a guest to remove it is simply outrageous for a hotel of this high caliber. The medical fact is that alcohol - even in a very small amount - is lethal to children. Aside from caring about the health and safety of a child guest, surely the Loew's Corporate office would recognize its enormous liability in the event that a child drank any of the alcohol and died as a result. And what about recovering alcoholics who are guests ? It's insensitive to have bottles of alcohol sitting out, unsecured, in the room. We wonder if it's even legal to have alcohol in a room where there is a minor child .In addition at check in, we were not given or offered the key to the room mini-bar (which contained more alcohol ! ), and when we entered our room we found the mini-bar unlocked ! Also, during our weeks stay my prescription medication (Ambien, which is a controlled substance) was stolen from our room. We immediately reported this to the front desk manager who said he would "research" the theft. We didn't expect the pills to be found and returned to us, nor did we ask for the name of the suspected staff thief. What bothered us was the fact that we never heard a thing back from the front desk after reporting this. We should have at least received a follow up phone call telling us that the theft had been reported to the Head Housekeeping Director (or to whomever) and that appropriate steps would be taken. So a word of warning to guests: use the in-room safe to lock up all your prescription medications because there is, or was, a thief in the housekeeping staff. On the bright side, we were impressed with the friendly, polite front desk staff, the concierge, the restaurant and its courteous staff, and the efficient and polite doormen. Our room was very nice and the furnishings attractive and up to date.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear misswatervalley,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel from your stay a few weeks back. As honest and critical on a few points as you were, we do appreciate your note about the positive experiences you had as well. Including your recognition of friendly, polite staff in all areas of our hotel, and how much you enjoyed our renovated rooms, and the furnishings. That said, I would like to take time to touch on the two issues you had during your late 2013 stay, as our guests’ feedback is critical and satisfaction a top priority.

Regarding alcohol which sat out in the room as part of our mini bar offering, I’m very sorry this was a concerning element of your stay. During the past month, as a result of a long examination over the past year, we have been in the process of removing alcohol which sits out openly in our rooms. This was something we had acknowledged wanting to change, but unfortunately, it didn’t help the situation in your case as the removal was not yet underway. For future guests and the TripAdvisor community’s knowledge, we will continue to offer a mini-bar as a standard for our luxury property, but any alcohol on countertops has been removed since the beginning of January 2014. Misswatervalley, we want to ensure you know we stand by our offer communicated during your guest satisfaction survey – at anytime in the future you visit Loews Madison Hotel, we will be happy to clear the mini bar in advance of your stay at no charge to you.

With the medication situation, I have gone back to our records to ensure this was immediately communicated while you were on property as we take such issues very seriously. Our records indicate that on January 1, the problem was communicated directly to our Director of Housekeeping, who then conducted an internal investigation. We are terribly sorry for the issue, and we apologize for not meeting your expectation in communicating back that we were fully aware of and investigating your report. I am continuing training and conversations with our staff so that communication is a top priority and follow through always happens with our guests.

Thank you again for the positive remarks about Loews Madison, and I hope we will have the chance to regain your trust during future trips to DC. If you would like to discuss anything further, I would welcome a call from you personally.

Director of Rooms
Direct Line: 202-587-2607
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We spent 5 days at this hotel 27th till 31st Dec 2013. We arrived in DC from Cape Town at 6am, after an 18 hour flight. Hotel advertised book-in at 4pm so we made our way to the hotel to ask if they'd store our luggage till that time. We were greeted by Sylvia - warm, welcoming and friendly, she is surely this hotels best asset !! Sylvia booked us in immediately and even offered us a better room than the one we had booked.
Fantastic, clean, comfortable room, superior linen and facilities, we were extremely impressed.
All the staff were super friendly and helpful, from housekeeping to the restaurant, but particularly Sylvia on reception and Jose, the bellhop.
We only had breakfast at the hotel, great service, excellent food and good price.
Loved the warm spiced apple juice which greeted us each evening on our return from a cold day out.
Great location, easy walk to the nearest Metro Station, 10/15 mins to the White House. Minutes to downtown shopping.
We got big hugs from Sylvia on our departure, we were treated like family - truly fantastic service.
We went on to NYC after DC and I was really sorry that we had booked at a different hotel chain - if I'd known I would most definitely have stuck to the Loews group.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough - you WILL enjoy yourself.
In a nutshell - marvelous hotel supported by fantastic staff

Room Tip: We booked a Luxury Double and Sylvia upgraded us to Executive Terrace. Large, airy, comfortable, sc...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear vanoudts,
Wow, such kind words! Thank you very much for taking the time to give such a wonderfully detailed review. I am so happy we could make your visit from Cape Town to DC such a fantastic trip. We’re incredibly proud of our staff’s dedication to service and personalized approach with guests – so I am excited you had the chance to meet Sylvia. She is a shining star on our team, and we’re lucky to have her. I’m glad everyone, including Jose, made you feel warm, welcome and at home. That’s always our goal, and we want a supremely comfortable environment for you.

Thanks for highlighting the impressive quality of your room and its furnishing, and for mentioning the details like the warm cider offered in the lobby to warm up after a day of sightseeing. I’m so glad you enjoyed our very central location for Metro access, shopping and of course the White House and attractions! It’s such a compliment to know you’ll now look for other Loews when traveling. We highly recommend the Loews Regency NYC and all our other properties!

I appreciate your recommendation, and your choice to stay with Loews Madison. I sincerely hope we can welcome you back again anytime you travel to DC.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

While it lacks some of the amenities of larger hotels the Madison has well appointed comfortable rooms and helpful staff. The rooms have well stocked mini-bars but there is no gift shop or ice and vending machines (ice is available from room service). The PostScript restaurant has a limited menu and the food is very good with reasonable prices but be warned that a small glass of OJ with breakfast is $6 .Another breakfast option is a Caribou Coffee across the street.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Sail2Maine,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad we could welcome you on your business trip. I’m so happy you found our staff helpful and enjoyed the comfort and décor of our rooms and our convenient location. I’m also so glad to know you enjoyed the PostScript menu which has undergone some exciting recent updates with several new culinary staff on our team. Further, I’m very excited to let you know we will be opening our second restaurant this Spring 2014- a brand new establishment by Jose Garces, Iron Chef and James Beard Award Winner!

We welcome feedback about our amenities from guests, and we’re pleased now to provide a 24-hour fitness center, business center, complimentary WiFi in every room, as well as Keurig coffee makers and the mini-bars you mention. Thank you very much for choosing Loews Madison, and I hope we have the chance to welcome you again anytime you travel to DC.