“Sylvia made our stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calabasas, California
“Sylvia made our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We touched base w/Sylvia before we even arrived and when we did Romeo was already out in the street greeting us by name before we even got out of our taxi. Sylvia was at lunch during check-in so wasn't the pinnacle of great service. One thing to know is that thus is a busy hotel, frequented by slot of business travelers. Not a bad thing but we were frequently brushed off and neglected during the first day we were there, I think because everyone is so busy attending to an almost constant stream of check ins and outs. Several of the staff seemed too self important or involved to help us or anyone (lobby, restaurant, up on the floors). In the second day, we finally met Sylvia in person and WHOA, did things turn around after that. Prior to meeting her, I made a mental note never to book at Loews again. Once she was involved, we felt comfortable, she made sure everyone treated us well and she went out of her way to make us feel welcome and special. Our trip was in celebration of my daughter's birthday and Sylvia went above and beyond. My daughter is absolutely in love with her and now loves Loew's. Madison is extremely fortunate to have her, and Romeo treated us the same way. He was always aware of how our day was and asked us when we came in- super personable with kids and everyone. He is a sweet soul. All the other service we received from housekeeping to restaurant to concierge, etc was hit and miss. The guy they sent for shoeshine wasn't nice and kinda strange. I called down for feminine products since I unexpectedly started early and for whatever reason, they sent him with a loose handful of female products up to my room and just handed them off to me kinda rudely. No bag, no discretion. Not a big deal, but that should have been handled better. Some other staff were nice and helpful and others were not. In the restaurant, Robert, Mohamed, Elsa, Ivan and Hirshan (sp?) were great, as were Jenny and Jennifer over near the cafe. The food and drink in the cafe could def be better and less commercialized. The restaurant is not bad, pricey for what you get and nothing special. Most dishes were tasty but left something to be desired. All in all, I think they could really improve in some areas, including certain staff members and food/cafe yet I'd probably come back if the price was right because of Sylvia and Romeo, and the staff later in our stay that ended up being nice. Rooms are clean. Hotel is pretty. The fiat service is great and the girls that run that are really nice. Walking distance to the WH.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Rachel C,
Thank you for taking the time to give us this detailed feedback. I’m glad to understand that overall this celebratory stay for your daughter’s birthday had great moments, and your daughter felt welcome and special. Your praise for Sylvia is wonderful, and she is so deserving of it. The same goes for our long-time doorman Romeo. As for Sylvia, she has such a genuine warmth and cares deeply about all our guests’ experiences – we frequently hear top remarks from guests. I’m glad she, and several of the other staff you name, gave you the attentive, personalized service all our guests deserve.

I appreciate you calling to our attention some of your areas of concern. I sincerely apologize you felt neglected at the start of your trip and didn’t receive the top notch service we work on giving at every point of a guest's experience. I will take your feedback to our leadership team to ensure all staff in need of training and service refreshers receive that, and that we continue to improve ourselves. Regarding the restaurant, I’m disappointed by your feedback, as we’ve changed up the menu recently and starting receiving more compliments about the options and food quality. We’ll continue to taste and perfect new dishes as we believe the food experience should be a highlight of your stay.

I’m glad you liked the rooms, and thought the hotel was pretty. I'm excited too that you enjoyed our new FIAT car service which offers complimentary drop-offs in the DC area.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Cheraz Ecker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We went for a weekend for our anniversary. We wanted quite and relaxing. Our room was very comfortable, modern but not over the top, and every single person from the doormen to room service were very polite and helpful. The location is great just a couple of blocks from the White House, with Starbucks and other eateries near by. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lilian S,
Thank you for your review. Congratulations on your anniversary, and I’m so glad it was a memorable stay. I’m happy you liked our renovated, modern and warm décor, and am always excited to hear when our staff’s friendly, professional service is part of our guests’ experiences.

Thanks for mentioning our great location, a few blocks from the White House as you note, as well as restaurants and some conveniences such as a CVS. We just recently opened a Barista Bar in our lobby and lounge area, proudly serving Starbucks Coffee!

We can’t wait to welcome you back. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very clean and modern rooms, lovely hotel, delicious casual restaurant on the 1st floor and the most thoughtful, kind and proactive concierge service team. In particular one woman was very friendly, helpful and made my and my boyfriends visit very special (which was also our anniversary). I will be a loyal guest at this property every trip I make to DC. Both work and personal. Properties like this make work travel and being away from home not so bad. Thank you and see you soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear JML123452014,
It’s very nice to hear we have earned your loyalty, and we’re grateful for it. Thank you for pointing out our clean rooms and modern décor, and the warm, friendly and helpful service you received from our concierge team. Top notch service is our number one priority, and I’m so glad we could help make your anniversary stay very special. Congratulations!

We do indeed serve both leisure and business travelers all the time, and we’d love to be a “home away from home” for you in DC for either purpose! Thank you so much for choosing Loews Madison, and we’re excited to see you again soon.

Cheers,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This sharp boutique hotel offers a winning combination of style and warmth. Some of the historic hotels in DC are formal and museum-like whereas the Madison provides the luxury with a staff that is friendly and engaging. The location works well as it is a couple of scenic blocks outside the frenzied hub surrounding the White House and major attractions. Enjoyed the lobby and it's lounge entertainment. Very nice experience.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Nick W
Dear Nick W,
Thank you for giving some nice, detailed feedback about your Loews Madison experience. You hit on some aspects of the property we work hard on – providing a warm, engaging and dynamic environment, that offers modern style in our historic setting. I’m very happy you experienced our staff’s friendly, personalized service.

Thanks for pointing out our convenient location! We are just four blocks from the White House and near other sites from Embassy Row to the National Mall. I’m glad you enjoyed the live jazz entertainment in our PostScript lounge off the lobby –we’re hosting live music nights Thursday through Saturday.

Hopefully you can visit again this Summer 2014, as we’re gearing up to open a brand new restaurant on property by Iron Chef Jose Garces.

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison.

North Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The hotel itself is pretty with doormen and all the things that are supposed to make it classy. Its clean and nice but that is where it ends! there are absolutely NO EXTRAS that don't cost. Not even ice! If you want ice you have to call down and someone will bring it to you-i.e.you have to TIP! Not even a coffee pot in the room! And parking is $50 per night! Not something I found on the website. Overall, we were disappointed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jenni D
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Jenni D,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. I am glad you found the hotel pretty and clean, but am disappointed overall to hear that your experience fell short of your expectations. We always work to exceed our guests' expectations from service to the amenities we offer, and I’m sorry this wasn’t the case for you. I want to address your points.

Although we are newly renovated, our hotel is an older building that doesn’t accommodate guest floor ice machines. We do have it available 24 hours a day for guests’ convenience through front desk or room service, and also offer an in-room mini-bar. Regarding, coffee, many guests are not yet aware, we do have a Starbucks barista in our lobby that is open during the day as an added guest service.

My apologies you feel that our overnight parking rate is high, however, our rates are in line with city hotels in the area.

I hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime to create a truly memorable experience. I thank you again for the feedback as guests’ input is critical to our success and continually improving our property.

Lynbrook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My concierge, Ms. Bouhaouala was so obliging. She knew exactly what my kids would enjoy doing in DC. 5 star restaurant was great. Very clean and quite. There was great music in the lounge every night. The best was the Starbucks in the lobby.

Room Tip: The higher up the better.
1 Thank Moptops4
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Moptops4,
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about Loews Madison. I’m very happy you experienced top notch, personalized service and that it helped create a memorable trip. Our head concierge, Kaouthar Bouhaouala, is a shining star, very knowledgeable and dedicated to our guests. We’re fortunate to have her on our team and often hear this kind of wonderful feedback – I will share your praise with her!

I’m excited you enjoyed our PostScript lounge and restaurant on property. The live music we added has been a big hit! On Thursdays we are featuring Latin jazz music, and Friday and Saturday evenings feature jazz trios. Coming this Summer 2014, we’ll open a second restaurant at Loews Madison – renowned Chef Jose Garces’ new Argentinian steakhouse!

I’m happy you liked our new barista bar inside the hotel, serving Starbucks coffee! We also offer some juices, other beverages and pastries, and hope guests enjoy the convenience of this near the lobby.

We hope to welcome you back to Loews Madison whenever your travels bring you to DC.

Warm regards,
Justin Adam
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel location is perfect close to all the site and reasonable to many restaurants etc. Only complain is the price to park ($50) but i have stayed in this part of town before and its always very high- but not quite this high. Also the room view was just to a courtyard and other rooms so that was not great but they did ask me to upgrade (for $50) but we did not. Is nice that they asked. The bedding , TV, etc. as well as the bath we all very nice though the room was a little small.

Dear Handsomeman57,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I appreciate you bringing up our location – perfect as you describe it! We are conveniently located in downtown DC – to give those reading this some markers – we are 4 blocks from the White House, 3 blocks to Metro lines, walking distance to the restaurant scene on 14th Street, the Convention Center and other sites such as the National Mall.

Regarding parking, we understand our rates can seem high to some not used to city parking, but please know that we conduct regular rate checks with local hotels and are confident our rates are in line with other hotels in the city. I’m glad to know you were offered the chance to upgrade to another room since we had availability; we always like to hear from our guests about preferences so we can create the best experience possible. I’m happy you found the room and bathroom to be very nice!

Warm regards,