“Nice renovation that maintained the original character”

Loews Madison Hotel
Ranked #74 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Windhoek, Namibia
“Nice renovation that maintained the original character”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The location was great, just a few blocks from the White House and close to two Metro stops. It felt like the staff really went out of their way to be hospitable. There is a clear culture of service at this hotel. The rooms were spacious with modern bathrooms. Outstanding hotel and staff.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMLoewsMadison, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear B G,
Thank you so much for staying with us recently and sharing such fantastic comments about your stay. We are so happy that your experience was truly memorable. Our team works so hard every day to ensure our guests are supremely comfortable and it is great to hear that this was the case for you. We have shared your kind words with all of our team members and they were grateful to hear the positive comments. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Justin Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very clean, friendly staff,comfortable!
this is the best hotel we had during my family vacation trip from Boston ,New york, Atlantic city.I highly recommend Loews hotel. I will stay loews hotel in another city's .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Jinwen L,
Thank you for your comments. We are so delighted you had an excellent stay! I’m happy everything was clean and comfortable, and you our staff provided you friendly service. It’s an honor to be named as your best hotel on your East coast vacation, and to know your stay with Loews Madison will encourage you to check out Loews in other cities. We have many beautiful hotels and resorts throughout the U.S. and Canada!

Thank you very much for choosing Loews in Washington, DC, and I sincerely hope you will return anytime your travels bring you to DC.

Cheers!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed recently for our 5 year anniversary and were treated like royalty. Emmanuel checked us and took care of our every need. We were floored, nobody is that nice. But he was.
Our stay was perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BaconPizza,
Wow, thank you so much for the feedback! We greatly appreciate your time to review your experience. It’s always helpful to receive positive reinforcement. Thank you for giving kudos to Emmanuel on our front desk management team – he is a great asset to us and a shining example of our commitment to exceeding guests’ expectations.

We send our warmest congratulations on your anniversary! I’m so happy the Loews Madison could be part of this special occasion and help give you the perfect stay.

Thank you for choosing Loews in Washington, DC, and I sincerely hope we will get to welcome you back for future visits.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked this hotel because of free internet, near to tourist attractions & parking is included in their "Washington DC Experience". I paid $209 per night. If I did not signed up for DC Experience, I am going to pay $50 per day for parking.
I got an upgraded clean room, with king size bed in 8th floor with TV. The place is walking & biking distance to tourist attractions. Bike parking is in the basement of the hotel.
The only thing I can say bad about this hotel are:
1. The free internet is slow.

2. Annoying bell boys in the lobby. Leave your guests alone, when they say they can handle their bags & don't tell us you are going to put our bikes in storage...just lead/ show us where is the bike parking area. We know you are working for tips, but please.....It was irritating.

3. Where is the ice maker? We don't want any room service just to get a bucket of ice.

4. We have to ask for our car key to access our car in the parking basement.

So, enjoy your stay in Loews (:

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mscorr4
Dear mscorr4,
Thank you so much for your time to review your stay. I’m happy you enjoyed several popular aspects of our property, including our complimentary WiFi in every guest room, and our superb location for visiting many DC sites such as the White House and the monuments. It’s also nice to hear you received a great value with the Washington Experience package.

I’m disappointed you felt annoyed by our bellmen's service. It is our service standard to assist guests with luggage, bags and beyond. It's our goal to make your stay as effortless as possible.

Although we are newly renovated, our hotel is an older building that doesn’t accommodate guest floor ice machines. We are looking into options for self-service ice for our guests, and right now we have it available 24 hours a day through our front desk or room service. Finally, our parking garage policy is access only by or with a staff attendant, or we will gladly pull the car up for you, which is a measure to ensure the security of all vehicles.

Thank you again for your feedback and for choosing to stay with Loews Madison.

Boulder City, Nv
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel is nice and there is nothing actually bad about it, but for the money and with a family you can find a better fit. It is only a few blocks from the Orange/Blue Metro and the White House, but it seems to be in more if a business district where there are many coffe shops and lunch spots for commuters, but not many dinner restaurants. Complimentary coffee either in the room or the lobby would go a long way. There is a small Starbucks in the hotel but it closes at 2:00.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear ponmot,
We appreciate your time to review your stay. I’m very glad you found the hotel nice and felt positive overall about our property. Thank you for highlighting our convenient location, four blocks to the White House and two and half blocks to the McPherson Square Metro with Orange and Blue lines. We are excited to let you and others know that on July 3, 2014, we are opening a brand new restaurant within the hotel – Rural Society by renowned Iron Chef Jose Garces, an Argentine steakhouse with meats, fish, vegetarian dishes, pastas and pizza. Additionally, many of our guests currently enjoy the hotel’s close proximity to 14th St NW, where there are myriad dining and nightlife options a few blocks up from the hotel (we are at 15th and M Streets NW).

Thank you so much for staying with Loews Madison, and I hope you can visit again and try out Rural Society.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Chose to stay here because it is a Loews hotel . Know the Loews product from Santa Monica and Hollywood . The Madison had elements of what I expected - well decorated rooms , comfortable beds , great shower and Loews toiletries . The room was well sound proofed . The air conditioning worked . This is what you want and expect from a Loews room .
Then came the irritations - safe not working on arrival , no ice machine on any floor , no coffee making facilities in the room , limited chilled water in the lobby . Seemingly small things but annoying when you have to chase each one up .
It took 3 requests before the safe was charged . The ice problem was remedied by requesting ice from the lobby bar each day , by the cup full ! This was quicker than requesting a cup be sent up via reception .
Despite the room literature stating coffee making facilities available in room , my room 605 , had no such facilities . When requested there was no resolution . The hotel can send you up coffee for 2 at 9 dollars each time . There is a Starbucks franchise in the lobby . I chose peets across the road . A first for me in the US , no coffee facilities in the room - an irritation .
The chilled water in the lobby is great especially with temperatures in the 80s + . However it seemed available for quite a short time and often emptied quite quickly , particularly if the lobby was full of conference attendees on a break .
The hotel is soon to have a celebrity chef restaurant open . I hope this doesn't make the hotel management think they can dine out on that fact alone !
Location not bad , 15street one away from White House . Farragut South or McPherson square your nearest subway stations.
Lots of other hotels nearby .

Room Tip: Get one with the said coffee making facilities
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear crosnick,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. We appreciate that you have a loyalty with Loews and decided to try Loews Madison. I’m glad you found our rooms well decorated and comfortable, and enjoyed the bathroom amenities. It’s disheartening to hear that you experienced several irritations that left you with the feeling we did not exceed expectations.

Please accept my apologies that your room safe was not functioning properly, and for the wait time in getting a new safe. You should not have had to make multiple requests for this. I’m truly sorry the room literature had incorrect information about our coffee offerings, as we do not have in-room coffee machines and we offer Starbucks beverages at our lobby barista bar. We have been working to update this information in rooms, and I’m sorry for the frustration this incorrect information caused you.

The chilled water we offer in the lobby does deplete quicker in the hotter months, and I appreciate you letting us know of your concerns. As a result, I have asked my front desk managers to be more vigilant about replenishing this.

Our new restaurant by Iron Chef Jose Garces, Rural Society, is opening on July 3, 2014. We are very excited for the opening, and we are happy to continue offering our guests dining and beverage options at the barista bar and at PostScript restaurant and the lobby bar. All our outlets will continue to adhere to our high standards of exceptional food and drink quality and service that exceeds expectations.

Thank you again for your comments and for staying with Loews Madison. I hope we will get the chance to welcome you back.

Gillette, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here twice over the last month on business. After reading the reviews, I was very excited about my stay, as it appeared this hotel would exceed expectations. However, after 5 nights in total, I would say there is definitely some room for improvement.

Upon arrival, the check in process was great. The agent was very friendly, and answered all my questions. My first stay was on the 3rd floor. The second time i was on the 12th floor, near the elevator and this room was much nicer. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms well appointed. My only complaints in the room were that there was no coffee maker and there was literally no way to turn on the shower without getting blasted with cold water over your body. Not the best design, but not a huge deal. Also, both rooms seemed to have the hot and cold symbols incorrect. Luckily it didn't take long for me to realize that.

My major issue on the first stay was the construction crew for what appears to be a new restaurant being put in. They started dumping lumber and other large objects into a dumpster starting at 6am...just below my window. It was a very jarring way to wake up to say the least. Thankfully my second time this was not an issue. The hotel should realize what their customers are there to do, and try to maintain some quiet hours til at least 7am.

In terms of dining options, the lobby bar/restaurant downstairs was ok, but the menu selection was limited and it was all very expensive. I had the salmon one night, which was not worth the large price tag. Additionally, i waited at the bar 10+ minutes before someone came over to me. I thought that was unacceptable. This was the same menu for room service. I had a burger one night in the room, and with one beer, the bill ended up being over $43 for a burger with a soggy bun that tasted just ok. Also, if you arrive late, don't expect any food past 11pm. You'll be given a menu for pizza delivery.

The location is what is the major selling point to this hotel. It is central for tourists, however if you're there alone on business it can get kind of boring in the immediate vicinity. The area shuts down after 5pm on weekdays, and you'll have to walk quite a bit to get reasonable priced food. I would imagine if i was there for pleasure, I would have appreciated the location better.

Overall the place is fine for sleeping, and the staff (outside of the bartenders) are all great. However I did not feel it lived up to the hype. The dining options need to be improved (which may happen when the new place opens downstairs). Also, don't expect a ton going on in the immediate area after 6pm on weeknights.

Room Tip: Stay high up to avoid street noise and construction noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pdmgillette
Dear pdmgillette,
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay with Loews Madison. We are glad that overall you enjoyed our rooms, and had good experiences with our friendly, knowledgeable staff. We appreciate you highlighting our great location, convenient to many main DC attractions- including being 4 blocks from the White House and in close proximity to Embassy Row and the busy restaurant scene on 14th St NW.

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on areas of improvement- we are always looking to better our property. Regarding the construction, this June 2014 we have been finishing the remodeling of our restaurant space, which is set to open on July 3, 2014. Our construction schedule has been set to begin at 7am at the earliest, and I regret to hear that you had a disruptive experience during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience. I’m glad to learn it was not an issue during your next stay, and I’m excited to let the TripAdvisor community know that construction is complete on the new restaurant.

Speaking of, our new restaurant is Rural Society, an Argentine steakhouse by renowned Iron Chef Jose Garces. It will feature a South American inspired menu of open-fire grilled meats, fish, and vegetables, along with pastas and pizzas. I’m disappointed that you were unsatisfied with your experience in our current restaurant and bar. For the wait time at the bar, I’m truly sorry, and this is unacceptable. I have addressed these service concerns with the head of our Food and Beverage to ensure we are providing the top notch service for which many know us, and that our guests deserve.

Thank you again for your feedback and for staying with Loews Madison Hotel. I hope we will get the chance to welcome you back soon, and for you to experience Rural Society on your next visit.