“summer in dc”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

great location...though not in the thick of it. can walk everywhere, access to a whole foods and great neighborhoods only blocks away. Hotel staff were kind and thoughtful when we had a very sick child.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMLoews, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear adobe2014,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. I’m glad you enjoyed our convenient location in downtown DC, which is located just a few blocks to the White House and Metro lines. As you point out, we are nearby neighborhoods including Dupont Circle and Logan Circle, with restaurants, museums, nightlife options and other attractions. I am happy to hear that our staff’s caring and helpful approach to service were evident to you when dealing with your sick child. I hope it was a speedy recovery too! Thank you for choosing Loews Madison as your destination hotel while in DC. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for 4th of July weekend and boy was it worth it! From friendly doormen to front desk staff to even the housekeeping, our time here was extremely enjoyable.

Pros:
-Located within walking distance to the White House, etc. (about 1 mile or 15 min walk)
-Located right near Dupont Circle which has tons of restaurants and bars and fun! (less than a mile)
-"rich" feeling while in hotel (very clean and up-to-date everything)
-Room is stocked with snacks and drinks (soda, liquor, beer) but of course you have to pay!
-Fiat Service - you can get a FREE ride to anywhere within a 3 mile radius. We used this once to get a ride to a Museum and it was great. The driver was friendly, recommended restaurants for us and had a smile on the whole way!
- All taxi/Uber drivers knew exactly where this hotel was (no explaining necessary)

Cons:
-Expensive restaurant in the hotel (go elsewhere)
- You have to reserve the fiat and hope they approve it (I booked mine an hour in advance and when I went to go in the fiat at my confirmed time, they said they still hadn't received my request, but they would accommodate since another person just cancelled.

Overall it was a great experience. We didn't spend too much time in the hotel while there, but the time we were there, it was a very enjoyable experience. I would highly recommend the place. It was clean, everyone was nice, and it was close to just about everything!

Room Tip: try to go above floor 3 (that floor is in line with another roof top, so lousy view)

Dear Robert P,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. We are thrilled you had a first class experience and enjoyed so many aspects of our property! Thank you for highlighting our friendly staff– I consider them to be our hotel’s greatest asset.

I’m glad you enjoyed our convenient location. You’re correct that we are near Dupont Circle and walking distance to the White House, with the North lawn being about four blocks from the hotel. In addition, you’re right that taxis and Uber cars and can be a very convenient mode of transportation.

It’s great to hear that you appreciated our FIAT partnership. This is meant to be an extra convenience for guests, and we currently have two vehicles in service offering complimentary rides for guests from 11:30am to 6:45pm daily. It is a drop-off service for destinations within a 3-mile radius of the hotel which covers many DC attractions and neighborhoods. The service has continued to gain popularity with our guests since it began earlier this year, so we do recommend making reservations in advance of planned outings.

For dining options, we just opened a second restaurant – Rural Society by renowned Iron Chef Jose Garces. We’re excited it is now open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and Postscript is open 3-11pm and serving a light menu.

Thank you again for your feedback! We appreciate you choosing Loews Madison and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We upgraded to a suite and everything was really nice and clean however the beds were the downfall. The mattress had no box spring or and kind of flexibility. The mattress was held up with what looked to be a door slab it was horrible. Housekeeping had to be called daily to bring coffee and creamer for the cost of the rooms this was not right at all. The good points however staff exceptional and location great. That's what made this such a disappointment since we will be traveling more often to this city.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMLoews, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Dustin M,
Thank you very much for reviewing your visit. I’m glad you enjoyed our convenient downtown DC location and found our team members to be exceptional. However, I am disappointed to learn that you were uncomfortable during your stay. We take great care to provide a comfortable environment for our guests, and we are interested to talk with you further about your concerns and service challenges. Our beds do have box springs so I am surprised to hear about your experience and hope to learn more from you.

We hope for the chance to host you at Loews Madison during your future visits to Washington, DC. Again, I would be happy to talk with you further at 202-862-1600 and to be your personal point of contact to ensure an excellent stay next time.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is beautiful. We loved the decor and location. However, it is lacking in service and amenities. The staff is super slow and basically do their jobs half asked.

I booked the Madison Hotel because it was my daughter's 7th birthday and her name is Madison. I had called the hotel a few weeks prior to our arrival to inquire about cake delivery and balloons. The customer service representative told me she would have the concierge call me back. The concierge called me a short while later to tell me that I could go to Whole Foods to pick up a cake and CVS for balloons. I told her that isn't what I wanted and that I wanted something delivered. She told me to save my money for something else and those were my best options. Wow! Just wow! I was incredibly insulted and did my own research and had cupcakes delivered to the hotel. Upon check in, I told the front desk representative that I was expecting cupcakes delivered the next day and she asked me if I wanted them delivered to my room. I said yes and she noted it on the reservation. The next day we received a call that our cupcakes were here and again asked us if we wanted them delivered to the room or if we were going to pick them up from the front desk. Hmmm I guess my conversation the previous day was for nothing. So my husband asked them to send them up. We waited about 30 minutes and no one delivered them. My husband and I gave up and he went downstairs to get them himself. Also, I was a little disappointed by the lack of attention my daughter received for her birthday. I had read so many reviews of persons celebrating birthdays and anniversaries at the Madison hotel and receiving special attention, but my daughter certainly did not receive any type of recognition at all.

Now let's talk about cleanliness. The room was clean except for the comforter. We had just gotten to the room and my 3 year old son went to lie down. All a sudden he was yelling, "Mommy, Mommy a boggar boggar!" Sure enough there was a huge boogar on the comforter and it was absolutely disgusting. I called the front desk and the person I spoke to said she would send housekeeping up. The housekeeper came upstairs with a new sheet and I said I don't need sheets, I need a different comforter. She told me I don't have anymore comforters. Really? There aren't extra comforters? You don't change the comforters or wash them ever? That is just gross. She got a black plastic garbage bag and put the comforter in it and left. We stayed for 2 nights and I guess she never washed the comforter because when they made the bed up the next day, it was still not there.

We loved the FIAT transportation however, the customer service representative and the driver both assured us that they would have our son's car seat put back in our room. And we were told this several times. However, this never happened. Upon our return back to our room, we were upset that our car seat was not there. We called the front desk and thankfully they had it. We do not appreciate being misinformed repeatedly.

A few things to note: there is no mini-fridge, no ice machines (you have to call room service to have them deliver it), no coffee makers, no swimming pool, and the restaurants are overpriced. I paid $20 for 4 bagels to go.

Again this all comes down to terrible customer service. And it's a shame because the Madison Hotel has such potential. Not to mention it is a Lowe's hotel so we expected better service and amenities. I'm not saying don't stay here. I am just saying if you are going to stay here, check your comforter and be prepared with patience.

2  Thank JessicaC81NY

Dear JessicaC81NY,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback, and please know we highly value all of our guests’ input. We are very disappointed in reading about your experience. Please accept my most sincerest apologies for the frustrating service during your stay. As a parent, I certainly understand wanting to make your daughter’s birthday special. You are correct to expect from us information and options for vendors that would deliver special occasion items. I have gone over all of your points with our Director of Rooms to ensure corrective actions are taken and to improve our overall guest experience.

Regarding cleanliness, I apologize for the comforter issue and the inconvenience it caused you. Please know our standard is to clean rooms every day including bedding, and our managers regularly conduct room checks. Upon reading your comments, they were brought to the Director of Housekeeping and addressed immediately.

Thank you again for your review –we take very seriously all feedback, both where we are doing well and areas for improvement. I would welcome a call from you at (202) 587-2660 to discuss any other details of your visit. I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to host you at a future date.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Emaculately clean. Awesome location. I'd definitely stay here again. The beds and pillows were comfy. The front desk staff were courtesy and quick. Close to the Metro, restaurants, and the Mall. Shower also worked well with multiple choices for water flow..

Dear Colleen W,
We appreciate your time to review Loews Madison, and we’re absolutely delighted you found us to be a great place to stay in Washington, DC. Thank you for highlighting our very convenient location which is walking distance to the White House and nearby other attractions, including the National Mall and its surrounding monuments. I’m so glad you enjoyed our friendly, professional staff and the comfortable environment on which we pride ourselves. I hope you can return for future stays when visiting DC. We would be delighted for the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed at the Loews Madison which is centrally located to everything downtown. The staff was great and the hotel is in excellent shape. The meals we had at Post Script were superior quality, comparable to fine restaurants in the area.

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us recently while in Washington, DC, and for reviewing your visit. I appreciate you pointing out our convenient location for others in the TripAdvisor community. I’m glad you enjoyed our friendly team members and found our property to be in excellent shape. It’s great that you got a chance to enjoy PostScript, and I have shared your positive remarks with the culinary team. In addition, we recently opened Rural Society, an Argentine steakhouse by renowned Chef Jose Garces – I hope you will get the chance to try it out during a future visit to DC. We're currently offering live music on the Rural Society patio every day!

Thank you again for your review, and we would love to have the chance to welcome you back to Loews Madison for future stays.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the Loews Madison it is a first class hotel.. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The beds were comfortable, I slept soundly every night. The rooms were clean. I didn't have any problems getting clean linens.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear GGKay2,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm delighted you had a wonderful experience at Loews Madison while visiting DC! Our team members are very dedicated to service and creating memorable experiences for our guests, and I appreciate you recognizing their helpfulness. They were grateful to hear the positive feedback. It’s wonderful to know that you found everything to be clean and comfortable. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.