“Loews Hotel is worst is DC”

Loews Madison Hotel
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington
“Loews Hotel is worst is DC”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is run by people who act like indentured servants. They act like you are an inconvenience, except for the bell staff and Mohammed in Post Script, the bar.
The staff takes a long time to check in, check out. The restaurant staff is horrible. They don't bring you water or introduce themselves. They act high and mighty, and they make fun of the guests.
If this hotel starts training its staff, it may have a prayer of a chance.
I put my Do Not Disturb sign on my door. and housekeeping knocked several times on several occasions, once because the front desk didn't tell them I was staying another night.
There's Always a threat of housekeeping waking you up and barging in, despite the sign. There's also a threat of room service waking you up for your tray! so you have to place a heavy tray on the floor outside your room within 30 minutes of ordering. very annoying bc sometimes you fall asleep after eating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank D B
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear DB,
Thank you for taking time to express your concerns. I am extremely disappointed to read that you felt some of our team members were less than friendly. We take great pride in our reputation for service excellence and a friendly, professional staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies for various service issues you encountered during your stay. Upon reading your feedback, I personally addressed your concerns with our Director of Rooms and Restaurant Manager. I appreciate you highlighting positive experiences you had with our bellmen and restaurant server and will make sure they are recognized.

I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to host you at a future date so we can provide a top notch Loews Madison experience which you deserve.

Cheraz Ecker, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Myself & family stayed at Loews Madison 30 Jun, for 7 nights on family vacation, We had a great time and thanks to all staff for making our holiday most memorable. All staff were most friendly and nothing was a problem. Reception was most efficient of any hotel I have stayed at. Every member of staff went extra mile to ensure our vacation was memorable. Staff greeted us each time by our name which was a nice touch. I have no hesitation in recommending Loews Madison as hotel to stay in Washington DC.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Jim M,
Thank you very much for choosing us as your Washington, DC destination hotel recently and sharing such wonderful comments about your stay. I’m so happy our team members helped make your holiday most enjoyable. Hearing about guests who feel welcomed and that they are “at home” while staying with us always brings a smile to my face, and I’m proud that our dedicated staff helped to create this experience for you.

Thank you so much for recommending Loews Madison as a great hotel for travelers visiting DC. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back here for stays in the future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our room was very comfortable with great beds and a well appointed bathroom. Plenty of cupboard space as well. Breakfast at Postscript was always quick and delicious with attentive waitrons! We loved that there was a Starbucks in the hotel as well!It is really the staff that should be complimented: We needed a doctors prescription for my sons medication that went missing during our three weeks holiday and the concierge was quick to assist. The area is quiet over the weekend, since it is situated in a business district. However a 15 minute stroll from White House. Some great Restaurants in area! Fabulous "southern" food and Georgia Brown's two blocks down the road.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Anke M,
We appreciate your time to review Loews Madison. I’m very happy you experienced our friendly staff- they work hard to provide professional service and everything our guests need. I am glad they assisted you promptly with your medication needs.

It’s great to know you found everything comfortable and well appointed! Thank you for pointing out our convenient location in DC which is a few blocks from the White House. We’re fortunate to not only have two restaurants on property but also to be located near the busy culinary scene on and around the 14th Street area. We opened our newest restaurant, Rural Society an Argentine steakhouse by Iron Chef Jose Garces, in July 2014. Georgia Brown’s is a fun spot for Southern Cuisine very close to the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you’ll return to Loews Madison anytime your travels bring you to Washington, DC.

Folsom, California, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Very attentive staff, from check in to check out. The restaurants were very good, a little pricy but I expect that in a hotel. The bed was amazing!

The only improvements I can suggest are to improve the in-room WiFi (very slow and spotty - several times I turned it off and used 4G) and swap the mini bar for an in-room fridge.

Other than that, highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2014
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Kent R,
Thank you very much for your time to review your stay. I’m very happy you experienced our team members’ attentive and professional service as this is our top priority. I’m glad you the bed was so comfortable and you enjoyed our restaurant. Hopefully you had a chance to try Rural Society by celebrity-Iron Chef Jose Garces, which we just opened in early July 2014.

We always appreciate our guests’ feedback including positive comments and areas for improvement. I have asked my management team to conduct more checks into the complimentary in-room WiFi as a result. Regarding the mini bar, like many other urban luxury properties, we offer this as an added amenity for our guests to enjoy without having to leave the room.

Thank you very much for highly recommending our property. We appreciate you choosing to stay with Loews Madison and hope to welcome you back for future visits.

Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I took my wife to the Madison Hotel for her birthday celebration. It was one of the best, if not the best time, we have had in over 30 years of marriage. The concierge arranged for champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries to be in our room when we arrived. Desk, luggage, housekeeping and room service were excellent. Hotel dining was a treat. The hotel was within walking distance of China Town and several Smithsonian museums. While walking, we discovered two wonderful, small museums, the National Museum of Women in the Arts, and the National Geographic, which we had never visited. We look forward to our next stay at the Madison Hotel.

Room Tip: Tenth floor suite was very roomy and well maintained. Great view overlooking M and 15th streets. A...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear JimL4500,
Thank you very much for your comments, and please know we are touched by your personal and positive feedback. I am delighted that Loews Madison and our team could be part of making this a very special birthday weekend for your wife. Happy birthday to her! We strive to give guests personalized and memorable experiences, and I’m glad the entire helped make this happen for you.

It’s always nice to hear about the DC sites our guests enjoy visiting, and the two museums you mention are wonderful. The National Geographic Museum is just two blocks away, with the National Museum of Women in the Arts being walking distance too. We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location, including being a few blocks from Metro lines and the White House.

We very much look forward to your future stays and welcoming you back in our doors. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison for your DC visit!

Cheers,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is the 3rd Loews I've stayed in (Philly and Miami) and it's definitely not as nice as the others. Hotel rooms smelled like the brand new restaurant they just opened downstairs, all our clothes smelled like wood burning oven that the AC vents were sucking up into our room.

No coffee, no fridge, no water bottles (without paying $7) and no ice access without having to call up for room service and tipping. Its ice? Why should I have to pay for ice? Especially at the price of the rooms, guests certainly deserve access to water and ice without having to pay more than they already are for rooms and parking.

This is a great location, walking distance to so many things and the decor is lovely in the hotel. I just think that there is a disconnect between guests and amenities. Even the crappiest hotels I've stayed in offer water and ice.

We were offered a comped stay for future date, for our room being filled with smoke all weekend. Which is very nice of them, I hope our next stay will be much more pleasant. I love Loews hotels and wouldn't want to be disappointed again.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room doesn't get the smoke from the restaurant downstairs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rmb1234
Dear Rachel b,
Thank you very much for providing feedback about your Loews Madison stay. I am glad to see you that you enjoyed our convenient location and found our décor to be lovely. However, I am disappointed about the challenges you encountered during your stay and want to take the opportunity to address them for everyone in the TripAdvisor community.

The smell that you encountered was an isolated and temporary challenge related to the construction of our new restaurant grill, which has since been resolved. We apologize sincerely for the inconvenience and discomfort this caused you. As a measure of goodwill to address this challenge, we did offer you a complimentary return stay which we hope you will use.

Regarding the amenities you mention, we are a newly renovated hotel but still in an older building that doesn’t accommodate guest floor ice machines. We are currently looking into creative ways to offer self-service ice for our guests. To avoid any inconvenience for our guests, ice is available 24 hours a day through room service. Like many other urban luxury properties, we offer an in-room mini bar with some chilled items available in the fridge. Regarding coffee, we recently opened a wonderful Starbucks barista bar in our lobby to give our guests an added amenity while at the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Madison - please feel free to contact me when you are planning to visit, and I will ensure an excellent stay.

202-862-1600
UK
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I cannot praise the hotel and it's staff enough. They were so helpful. United Airlines lost both our bags, they finally arrived on the third day. The hotel gave us toiletries and the concierge assisted us in contacting the airline and expediting the baggage return. In order to ensure we recovered the bags we had to stay another night (not really a problem as we enjoyed the city). The room was very good. Breakfast was great, staff very attentive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Yorkshirewoman,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff and property. I know what a headache it can be when airlines misplace your bags, and I’m so glad our team members’ helpful and dedicated service made a difference and contributed to such a positive experience while staying with Loews Madison. They are extremely committed to our guests and providing excellent service, and I appreciate your praise for them. They were excited to learn of your comments! In addition, I’m happy you enjoyed the room and a delicious meal in our restaurant.

We appreciate your time to review our property and hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Madison whenever your travels bring you to Washington, DC. Thank you again!