“Great Hotel - Great Staff - Great Experience”

Loews Madison Hotel
Ranked #74 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Port Richey, Florida
“Great Hotel - Great Staff - Great Experience”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

After looking at many options available in DC, we decided to book with the Lowes Madison for a family vacation during 4th of July week. The decision was based on price, location and our past experiences at Lowes hotels. Our overall experience was excellent. The condition of the hotel met its 4 start rating. The decor and rooms were just as advertised online via description and photos. The rates were good in comparison to comparable rooms available for the holiday weekend. The Staff on site were excellent! The bellman, doorman, lobby receptionist, room service, wait staff and bar staff all were both professional and made us feel very comfortable during our stay. The food/drinks at the hotel was great and affordable. The daily parking fee did seem a little high at $50/day. However they did have a free shuttle service available that we were able to take advantage of. Overall - great staff, great hotel = great experience for our family vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear JSO1977,
Thank you very much for your review. Wow, great experience all around!! I’m delighted to hear that we were a wonderful fit for your family’s vacation this summer. I’m glad you enjoyed our décor and rooms and am particularly pleased that our staff were part of giving you an excellent experience. Our team members are dedicated to personalized and memorable service, and they were excited to hear your positive feedback.

I’m happy you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings. Regarding parking, please know that we conduct regular rate checks with local hotels and are confident our rates are in line with other hotels in the city. I am glad you enjoyed our two FIAT cars offering guests complimentary drop-off rides (advance reservations recommended).

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Cheraz Ecker, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I booked our room with Loews Madison for a one night stay. We have two children ages 5 and 6. We usually always book a room with 2 queen beds. When I asked for a room with 2 queen beds at check in they said they were out and bait and switched us to a room with a king and pull out couch and increased the price of the room by $50. They told me to call when we were ready for the couch to be converted. I called and an hour later housekeeping arrives. Not ideal response time in that situation. The pull out couch was pitiful. The room had chunks of molding missing from the floor board. The couch was stained. The next day my AMX was hit with a $250+ charge from "missing" mini-bar items. Our room had an empty fridge in it that was not even cold! I called right away and they said "oh we thought you had used everything in the mini bar we didn't know it was empty we thought you stole everything!" WHAT? After a horrible experience I wasn't going to even waste time with a review until that charge happened. I want to warn future guests that this was a terrible experience. I am very upset they have my AMX info and are hitting it with unauthorized and ridiculous charges. I am calling AMX now.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Scott C
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Scott C,
Thank you for your time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. Although we have spoken with you since your visit, and I understand our Director of Rooms, Justin Adam, has ensured proper resolution, I am glad for the chance to address your concerns for the TripAdvisor community.

I was very disappointed reading about your frustrating experience. While you requested a room with 2 queen beds upon arrival at our front desk, our records show you had reserved a King bed room prior to arrival. Unfortunately we were fully committed in queen bedded rooms during your stay dates, but I am very pleased our team was able to accommodate your request at check-in and place you in an upgraded King room with a sofabed to better accommodate your family. This upgrade was given complimentary to you because of the service challenges you mentioned, so we apologize for the miscommunication giving you the feeling of “bait and switch” that you mentioned. I am sorry for your long wait for the sofabed to be converted, as this is not common and we completely understand the inconvenience this caused.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the incorrect Amex charge, and I am glad the charge was reversed immediately upon notification. I understand your frustration. Please know we have reviewed this with the new team member to ensure proper training. I hope you will consider giving us an opportunity to regain your confidence in Loews Madison the next time your travels bring you to Washington, DC.

Thank you again for your feedback.

202-862-1600
Mount Ephraim, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Everyone who worked there was so helpful and kind! The front desk was very polite and thoughtful and the concierge, housekeeping and connecting restaurants to the hotel were very polite as well. The rooms were so comfy and spacious and great location to downtown and short walk to nearby Metro!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Danielle M,
We appreciate your time to review your Loews Madison visit. It’s a real delight to hear such praises for our team members, as they work hard every day to create a welcoming and comfortable environment for our guests. I’m so glad you experienced their top notch service from concierge to housekeeping to the front desk and our restaurants. It’s great that you found the room to be spacious and comfortable. And, we appreciate you mentioning our convenient location in downtown DC which is near two Metro lines. There is so much to see and do in DC, it’s wonderful to have easy transportation options nearby!

Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope to welcome you back for future stays.

Clermont-Ferrand, France
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel with nice people (for check-in and breakfast especially) and great location (walking distance from the White House). But needs a couple of improvements: impossible to park in front of the hotel to handle the luggages (really bad points ... and the employees there are useless); our room was at the upper floor and was noisy; Parking at 50$ is prohibitive but there are plenty of opportunities nearby (watch out the tickets!).

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JPGrand
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear JPGrand,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay. I am pleased you enjoyed our friendly staff and great location which is within walking distance to the White House. We very much value all of our guests input, so thank you for your constructive feedback. First, please accept my apologies that our staff did provide the utmost prompt and helpful service as you pulled up. We take great pride in having a professional staff of doormen, front desk, and beyond, and I’m disappointed you did not experience their best service. I addressed your comments with our Director of Rooms to ensure corrective action. I’m sorry to learn your floor was noisy, and please know we work hard to create a comfortable environment for our guests. We encourage all guests to let us know promptly while on property if they have any concerns about noise. Finally, we regularly conduct parking rate checks with local hotels and are confident our rates are in line with other hotels in the city.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us – we appreciate them as we are always looking at how to better our property. I hope we will get the chance to welcome you back when you visit DC in the future.

Washington
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Everything about this hotel was excellent. We had a brilliant stay and were very comfortable. Hotel staff were always polite and very helpful if we needed anything. Great location and an even better room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear J S,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m glad you had a fabulous stay! Thank you for complimenting our polite, accommodating staff. There’s nothing better than hearing that everything was wonderful, and I’m delighted our convenient location and comfortable guest rooms were part of your very positive experience.

Thank you so much for choosing Loews Madison, and we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Located in a busy street but the rooms are cozy. Room and bath are spotless. Trying to figure out where to park was very confusing so I ended up parking across the street in the office building.
Staff in the lobby bar was great, also great drink selections.

Stayed July 2014
GMLoewsMadison, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear PaiMeiLi,
We are delighted that you were able to stay with us recently and that you found the hotel to be spotless! I was disappointed to learn of the trouble you had with parking. While we are in the center of DC, our Door team works very hard to ensure access at the front of the hotel for all of our guests, regardless of the DC traffic situation. We regret to hear this was not the case for your arrival and for that we truly apologize. We are continuously looking for ways to improve in all areas so we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Justin Adam
Director of Rooms
San Dimas, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family stayed here on a week long vacation to D.C. The location is excellent for being central for sightseeing and dining. The attention to detail here is lacking and we had to call the front desk several times for needs, our issues were attended to but the issues were the type were we had to remind the hotel of their responsibilities. The rooms are on the smaller side but acceptable, do not expect a view from this property. although we found the staff cordial, this property is not proactive in service. The in room wifi is free for one device, multiple devices is free with a Loews membership but finicky.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank #1LakerDad
Dear #1LakerDad,
Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your feedback. We were happy to hear that our location was perfect for all the activities and sites you wanted to see while in DC. I am truly sorry that you found our service to be less than expected in some areas. Our team strives to anticipate all of our guests needs but clearly we failed to do that for you.
We apologize if you found our internet to be finicky. We do have complimentary internet for up to 3 devices per room. If our guests prefer, we have an upgraded version that allows up to 8 devices per room and is recommended for streaming movies or video calls.
We appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience. As we take our guests' feedback very seriously, I would welcome a call to hear the specifics on what needs were not anticipated and where the service was lacking. We utilize this feedback in our on going team member training program. If you would be kind enough to share with me, I can be reached directly at 202-587-2607. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Justin Adam