“Wonderful Hotel, Great Staff”

Loews Madison Hotel
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Wonderful Hotel, Great Staff”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I and our two children recently stayed here for one night in July. I cannot say enough about the staff here at the Loews Madison. Everyone is knowledgeable and very attentive. Everyone is also very friendly and ready to help answer any questions that one may have. They have an onsite service with Fiat. They will drop you off anywhere (within a certain radius) in the city. You do have to get back to the hotel on your own. I did feel that the parking was a bit pricey - $60.00 (including tax). But, if you don't need your car once you get there, there is a parking garage just a block away that charges $30.00 for the night.

I found the rooms to be decorated very nicely, and they were very clean. When we left our room to explore the city, we came back to our trash cans being emptied, which was a nice touch. It would have been nice if there was a pool to use, but not many hotels in the city have that feature.

We loved the service and the rooms here - we would love to come back again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mlesznar
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear mlesznar,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. It’s wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your visit, and I’m absolutely delighted our staff’s service left a lasting impression with you. Service is our top priority so thank you for highlighting team members’ knowledge and friendliness, as well as their attention to your needs. I’m excited you enjoyed our FIAT complimentary drop-off ride service! Isn’t it a fun option for getting to some of the top sites around the city? The 3-mile radius will take you to a majority of DC’s sites. Regarding parking, we do conduct regular rate checks with local hotels and are confident our rates are in line with other hotels in the city that offer come and go anytime privileges, which is what our garage offers.

Thank you for commenting on the décor of our rooms, as well as cleanliness! We appreciate that you chose to stay with, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back during future visits to our nation’s capital.

Cheraz Ecker, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Valet service is goofy. $50.00 per night and they wander around like chickens from a third world nation.

Upon check in ... was directed to self move my vehicle. Front desk staff spent 15 minutes arguing about it.

Food quality and dining staff are excellent if you don't mind the extreme prices and tiny quantity. $46.00 for an apple juice; tiny cup of soup, and a very small plate of cheese with a dribble of hobbit sized bread slices.

Room service is slow and the third world nation quality of service does not have good communication skills.

Stayed on the 8th floor and heard sirens and traffic all night and loud talking. Rooms aren't very sound proof to outside noise.

Rooms very clean and well appointed. Certainly not worth $300 plus per night.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
Green Features: In a time of Ebola transmission you'd think that the trash cans would have plastic liners. Hotel is definitively mass contagion ready.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear MaximusProximo,
We appreciate you taking the time to review Loews Madison and give us feedback. Providing consistently exceptional service is our number one priority here, so I am sorry to learn that your experience was mixed. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the various service challenges you mention. I have gone over your points with the Director of Rooms, regarding the front desk, as well as the Director of Food and Beverage, to ensure corrective actions. Thank you for highlighting our great dining staff and food quality, although I am sorry you were disappointed with the quantity.
As with most downtown, urban hotels, there is some city noise in our surrounding area, and I hope you were not uncomfortable. Although we do not frequently hear from guests with noise concerns, we always try to move guests when possible, if this is requested.

Thank you again for your feedback- it is very valuable to us to ensure we are continually looking for opportunities to not only meet but exceed our guests' expectations.

New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Loews Madison staff members with whom I interacted were excellent; always attentive and service-oriented. The hotel is in a great location and has very nice facilities. The rooms seemed /generally/ well-kept, with one exception...

One major issue that detracted from my stay involved the lack of cleanliness of the bedding in the room I reserved. When I arrived in the room and laid down on the edge of the bed after a long day of travel and meetings, I noticed a faint smell of urine. Upon further inspection, the small decorative pillow on the bed, which was resting against the guest pillows, reeked of urine. While hotel services immediately relocated me to a larger room upon becoming aware of the issue, it was incomprehensible how this could escape the housekeeping crew that prepared the room after the prior guest's departure.

Despite this drawback, the staff was prompt and courteous in attempting to resolve the issue and the second room was clean and comfortable. Aside from the lack of cleanliness of the first room's bedding, this Loews Madison hotel was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GMLoewsMadison, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear MMM M,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. We were delighted to hear about the fantastic service you described and how perfect our location was for you. I truly apologize for the oversight you mentioned regarding the pillow in your room. You can be sure the pillow mentioned was discarded and all other bedding was sent out to be laundered upon hearing of your issue. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention while you were on property and am glad to hear that our staff was able to find a quick solution for you. Thank you again for staying with us last week and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Washington DC.

Justin Adam
Washington
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice hotel. Very friendly & helpful staff. Nice room ( premium king size). Don't here people in hallway because of air conditioning in room. Comfortable bed. Well located for food (10 min walk from Dupont circle). A good 25 minutes walk from the Mall though.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Karim S
Dear Karim S,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison. It’s wonderful to hear you were quite pleased with your stay and enjoyed our property. Thank you for the praise of our friendly and helpful team members! They always appreciate hearing positive feedback.

I’m glad you enjoyed your room, and that everything was comfortable. It’s also good to know you enjoyed our central location, which is walking distance to the White House and popular neighborhoods with great sites and restaurants, like Dupont Circle (a wonderful spot to see many embassies, too). Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope for the chance to welcome you back anytime you visit DC!

FORT MYERS
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very nice hotel. Very clean, old , historic type. Im only giving 3 stars because of the service i encountered. First I do not like when a hotel does not have ice machines. I had to call room service and wait for my ice. It came in the smallest ice bucket. It was useless since we wanted it for mixed drinks and cooling a bottle of wine. If there are no ice mchines, fill a bucket up when guests arrive and leave it in the room. But teh main reaon for 3 stars is that I requested a bell hop to assist me with my luggage. After calling twice and waiting 25 minutes I carried everything myself downstairs. No excuse for this lack of service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear dougbrit2222,
Thank you very much for your time to reviewing your experience, as we use both positive and constructive feedback to improve our property. I’m glad you found the hotel nice, but it’s more than disappointing to learn about the poor service you received. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experience waiting for a bellman and the frustration and inconvenience it caused you. You are right to feel this way- providing exceptional service is our top priority, and I’m sorry you did not receive this. I already spoke with our Director of Rooms to ensure any gaps in communication and needed staff re-training are addressed to prevent re-occurrence.

We are a newly renovated hotel but still in an older building that does not accommodate guest floor ice machines. We are currently looking into creative ways to offer self-service ice for our guests. To avoid an inconvenience for our guests, ice is available 24 hours a day through room service. Additionally, we do our very best to accommodate guests’ preferences, and going forward we can certainly note in your reservations this preference for a large ice bucket.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you will consider giving Loews Madison the opportunity to host you for future visit to DC.

Washington
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for a conference and found it to be fantastic! Room was really comfortable and had all the amenities and was walking distance from the White House and other businesses. Only issue is that the fridge in the room is a cash bar and as I opened it and noticed the light changed from red to green and noticed it was full and had nowhere to put my water. Then was asked about using the bar and had to explain myself I had not taken anything. They didn't give me any hassles for it like other places I have dealt with. But other than that, it was all 4 stars that they say it is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Toni S
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Toni S,
We greatly appreciate your review of our property. I am so happy you had a fantastic stay and found the room to be very comfortable and complete with all the amenities you needed. Thank you for mentioning our convenient location in downtown DC, which is walking distance to the White House. Regarding the mini bar, thank you for making us aware of the staff’s communication; I am happy to know it was not a hassle for you. Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback – guests’ input is critically important to our continuing success and guest satisfaction.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you back to Loews Madison soon, and thank you for staying with us.

Maryland
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Great location outstanding hotel stayed her a couple nights during my wife's conference. They have also opened their new restaurant a Rural Society. This GM has done a fabulous job.

The rooms are very clean and pleasant so just a great place to stay on DC. I like Loews allot! Typically Never disappointed

Stayed May 2014
Dear RS4Traveler,
Thank you very much for your time to review Loews Madison and provide such positive feedback. I am delighted you found our property to be outstanding, including the recent addition of our restaurant Rural Society, Iron Chef Jose Garces’ new Argentine steakhouse! We are hearing often from guests and locals who are enjoying this very recent addition to DC’s vibrant culinary scene. It’s great to hear you enjoyed our rooms too!

Thank you for the kudos, and for choosing to stay with Loews Madison Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back during future visits to our nation’s capital.